Serpentine belt replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7,199, Level: 56 Points: 7,199, Level: 56 Points: 7,199, Level: 56
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Serpentine belt replacement

Hi guys, my truck is equipped with diesel engine, and a few days ago I replaced the generator belt. It was ok, but I still decided to do so cause it has been running for 3 years. Simply put, I did it solely for maintenance purposes.

As a part of the procedure I've had to dismount the tensioner lever (05175588AA) and after changing the belt I put the lever back. A helper who have much more experience in dealing with the iron said that usually people replace both the belt and lever, 'cause the lever experiences a heavy load and the lever spring may fail at any moment (??). I believe it's a bull****: why the spring should break up if haven't done so within last 55K miles?

And the question is : do you think it's necessary to replace both the belt and the tensioner lever at the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
If the bearings good, just spray the spring down and reinstall it. Its an easy piece to replace if it should fail later on. Its not one of those ' Since your in there, you may as well replace this, that and that because it took some time to get here'. This is an external unit, exposed up front that can be swapped out with ease.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in