Front end shudder/skip on low speed turns - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Front end shudder/skip on low speed turns

Hey folks,

I've lurked the site for the almost 4 years I've had a Commander, and now I need some help. I've utilized the search and pored over all other threads that could be related, and so far I'm coming up with nothing. Please know I did try my best at self service before starting a new thread

Jeep:
'06 Limited with 5.7 Hemi
111000 miles
bone stock

About 2 weeks ago, the Jeep started to develop this weird shudder move on low speed turns in forward or reverse. It happens most when I pull out of my driveway in the morning, and by the time I get to work, its gone. If the truck cools down, it happens again. I feel it in the pedals and steering wheel most prevalently, and it almost feels like the front wheels are skipping (like having it in 4WD Low on concrete). There is no audible grinding, and I've had my wife drive it for me so I could listen/watch in the driveway, and she had to actually honk the horn when she felt it, as you cannot hear it outside the vehicle.

What I've eliminated:
  • Sway bar bushings (still there with bushings removed, but ordered new ones anyway)
  • Truck jacked up by control arm - no play in wheels side to side or pushing the wheel in/out of the wheel well.
  • Boots on CV joints show no tearing or leakage
  • Fresh oil in front/rear differentials
  • Tie rods were tight and were not moving excessively
  • Shifting gears does not produce a noise, and "jerking" the wheel doesn't produce any noise either.

I have yet to change the oil in the transfer case (holiday weekend and all), but am getting oil tomorrow from the dealership. Trans was done 15K miles ago. I've also not checked the nut on the steering rack.

I am simply baffled, as it goes away after a few miles once it warms up.

Could it be alignment? It holds a line fine. The only thing that spooks me is if it is a bad CV joint, I don't want a catastrophic failure, otherwise I'd ignore it.

So, is there ANYTHING else I am missing? I really want to get it back "straight" as I got the go ahead from my wife to lift it and throw an exhaust on it, so I'm pretty motivated at this point

Thank you guys in advance, you all have helped me more than I can say in the past!

-RyanD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Does it occur only while accelerating/decelerating at low speed while turning, or does it happen regardless at low speed when it's cold? And how low of a speed are we talking here? Have you had a chance to actually try a higher speed turn to see if it does it then as well?

Black 2006 3.7 Sport

RC Lift & 2.2 Series Shocks | Hypertech Programmer | General Grabber ATē on Ultra Mavericks | Magnaflow Exhaust | 6000k HIDs | Complete LED conversion | K&N CAI | Stubby antennae | Bull Bar | Chrome
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

The fastest cold turn I make is 10-15 mph, and yes, it does occur at those speeds.

When I say low speed, I mean trans in D, no brake applied, cut the wheel. Straighten it out, shudder gone. In the morning, I pull out in reverse, 5-8mph (I guess), cut the wheel and enter the street. it occurs there too. When I pull into major traffic, it shudders until I straighten out the truck, then its all good. 10 minutes later as I'm navigating tight turns in the parking garage, no shudder whatsoever.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Perhaps it's power steering related? Next thing I would try is cold turning and holding the wheel in one spot and seeing if it continues to shudder the whole time even though the steering wheel isn't moving. Also try every amount of turning (straight to full lock) to see if the shudder goes away at any point.

Black 2006 3.7 Sport

RC Lift & 2.2 Series Shocks | Hypertech Programmer | General Grabber ATē on Ultra Mavericks | Magnaflow Exhaust | 6000k HIDs | Complete LED conversion | K&N CAI | Stubby antennae | Bull Bar | Chrome
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Nitemare, thanks for the advice, and I have a bit of an answer for you:

Typically, the wheel is fully turned when it happens. So yes, I get the shudder when I hold the wheel in position to make a turn/back out of my driveway. Steering fluid was low last plug change, but topped off and no shudder change then.

Quick other update: swapped transfer case fluid, its slightly less pronounced, but still there. What I did finally hear tonight is a screech from the brakes on turns to the right, so something is grinding. I cannot remember the last time I did pads, and at 110K miles, she's probably due for rotors as well. Gonna do pads/rotors this weekend and report back.

Thanks all, appreciate the help. I can't wait to get the Jeep back to square one and install new suspension and exhaust
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
id remove the caliper and lube the slides pins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Points: 3,314, Level: 35 Points: 3,314, Level: 35 Points: 3,314, Level: 35
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

RyanD - please let me know how the rotor and pad replacement works for you. I have the exact same issue as you do. By the way - what brand of rotors are you going to put on your Jeep?

07 Commander Limited with Hemi
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 232,700
Garage
Subarus will give those kind of symptoms with their transaxles especially for the automatics. Frequent fluid changes help solve/prevent this.

Try fresh fluids in your TC and diffs, and don't forget the OEM friction modifier in the diffs since you probably have QDII. TC fluid should also be OEM.

2007 Jeep Commander Overland - Steel Blue
5.7L Hemi + QDII
4" SuperLift
Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs
Caroline Driveline front drive shaft
285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx
Activated: DRLs + Tilting Mirrors
Autolite Iridiums
Cobra LX 29 LE CB with Firestik antenna
Rear fog lights
Mopar Grille Guard with Rugged Ridge HID driving lights
Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low

"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quick update:

Yesterday did pads and rotors (they were SHOT), and I still have the shudder. FWIW, I went with cheapies that Oreilly had in stock as far as rotors went. Went slow, cleaned everything obsessively, lube slide pins in the front, and the brakes are now super smooth and SILENT!

So, now I'm really down to axles. Oreilly carries them in stock for $70 a piece, each side. I'm thinking that will be next weekend's project.

Thanks!
RyanD
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11 Points: 600, Level: 11
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Keep us updated I have an identical problem... seems its real common for the XKs and no one has a set solution not even the dealership
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in