Obvious 100K maint done (I think) ...what am I missing? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Obvious 100K maint done (I think) ...what am I missing?

Folks,

Thanks a bunch for tolerating my differential issues. It grinds a bit still, but not nearly as bad and for far less time than before. I'm back for a little more advice. To recap, '06 commander 5.7 limited QDII yadayada...111K miles, and since my wife can't seem to stop finding her way into traffic court or insurance claims with it, I've given her my Infiniti and now the Commander is my DD. So far, for routine maintenance/freshen up, I've swapped all fluids (diffs, TC, trans/filters) that I know of, but a couple of questions remain:

Coolant - It was in a minor fender bender in March, and the radiator was replaced as part of the repairs. I am fairly certain they did not use the correct antifreeze, as it is yellow-green and the truck runs hotter than usual (no overheating yet). I know I need to fill with the correct fluid, but since it is a new radiator, do I need to flush it or can I just drain via the plumbcock and refill with the correct 50/50 of the Chrysler spec antifreeze/distilled water?

Sensors - At 111K miles, I am becoming increasingly aware of just how many sensors these modern cars have. I'd love to have a list of replaceable/meaningful sensors that would require replacement (and you could DIY). Should such a list surface, I'd be happy to write-up/film how-to threads.

At this time, my planned mods are an OME HD kit, new UCAs, and exhaust (although the plasti-dip threads have me thinking my chromes pieces would look pretty bitchin in matte black). Are there any preventative/"while it's apart" things I should take care of to prepare?

Thank you!!
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I know I need to fill with the correct fluid, but since it is a new radiator, do I need to flush it or can I just drain via the plumbcock and refill with the correct 50/50 of the Chrysler spec antifreeze/distilled water?
Flush it. The two coolants should not be mixed. See this thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9422&page=7

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks a bunch for tolerating my differential issues. It grinds a bit still, but not nearly as bad and for far less time than before. I'm back for a little more advice. To recap, '06 commander 5.7 limited QDII yadayada...111K miles, and since my wife can't seem to stop finding her way into traffic court or insurance claims with it, I've given her my Infiniti and now the Commander is my DD. So far, for routine maintenance/freshen up, I've swapped all fluids (diffs, TC, trans/filters) that I know of, but a couple of questions remain:

Coolant - It was in a minor fender bender in March, and the radiator was replaced as part of the repairs. I am fairly certain they did not use the correct antifreeze, as it is yellow-green and the truck runs hotter than usual (no overheating yet). I know I need to fill with the correct fluid, but since it is a new radiator, do I need to flush it or can I just drain via the plumbcock and refill with the correct 50/50 of the Chrysler spec antifreeze/distilled water?

Sensors - At 111K miles, I am becoming increasingly aware of just how many sensors these modern cars have. I'd love to have a list of replaceable/meaningful sensors that would require replacement (and you could DIY). Should such a list surface, I'd be happy to write-up/film how-to threads.

At this time, my planned mods are an OME HD kit, new UCAs, and exhaust (although the plasti-dip threads have me thinking my chromes pieces would look pretty bitchin in matte black). Are there any preventative/"while it's apart" things I should take care of to prepare?

Thank you!!
Ryan

Do a complete flush of the coolant, and use the correct HOAT coolant instead (orange type). Best to flush out all the old coolant first, fill it up w/ just water (can also use flush fluid as well, though not always advisable), run the engine w/ the heater blasting for like 10mins. Let it cool and drop the coolant/water again. This time, refill w/ HOAT coolant and distilled water combination.

As far as fluid is concerned, don't forget to flush the brake fluid; this is overlooked so often. The fluid in the master cylinder should be nearly clear; $20 says it's pretty dark by now...aka contaminated fluid. Recommended every 2yrs. Real easy job to do... but if it's also low on fluid, it's also a sign your brake pads are wearing down too. Check both f/r axles and examine if you need those replaced. When I did my brake job, I ended up replacing both front/rear rotors (started to shake often), along w/ the pads.

Other items to do on the HEMI:
- Replace 16 spark plugs (2 per cylinder slot) w/ stock Champion Copper plugs, gapped accordingly.
- Replace PCV valve, air filter, wipers, and possibly fuel filter.
- Replace oil/filter (pretty obvious, just wasn't listed; I usually run some motor flush between changes).
- As a routine, try to steam clean the engine bay every so often; I try to do it every 7500-12500 miles to keep most of the parts as clean as possible from dust, oil residue, etc.
- Examine serpentine belt, and replace accordingly; may also require replacing the tensioner as well.

I hope I didn't miss anything else at this point.

Join us on Facebook @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Flush it. The two coolants should not be mixed. See this thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9422&page=7

This was the exact thread I was looking at when I realized why it was running hot. Dealer is across the highway from my office, so my lunch break tomorrow is a Chipotle run + acquiring correct coolant. Pretty involved flushing process, but I think I can handle it. (any tips or gotchas for a garage flush are welcome)

I've been performing routine (5K) M1 oil/filter changes, and I understand the fuel filter is integrated with the pump, so no easy change there. Did a full on brake job (pads/rotors/fluid) 3 weeks ago. Just trying to get it back to square one, given that regardless of my DD, I'm all-in with my commander as a project for the foreseeable future.

If you'll entertain my lame suburban conquest for a moment, it felt pretty good to pop an unmanned curb around a Maxima stopped in the right hand lane (with no intention of turning right). Plenty of room, no pedestrians or law enforcement around. Had a grin for a few blocks, and ready for more!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100

4WD
See this thread regarding flushing---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11523&highlight=flush&page=4 . And since you are running hot you may want to change the thermostat.

Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Seems pretty simple now, actually.

1. Open/drain from plumbcock
2. Open engine block plugs to fully drain the bad stuff
3. Run the flush per instructions and drain
4. Refill, warm engine up, blast heater, purge air via bleeder screw.

Gonna grab a pcv valve too while I'm at it.

In my old Z28 days, I got a little boost by using a 180* tstat over the stock 195. Is it safe to use one in the hemi?

Thanks!
RyanD
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Quote:
In my old Z28 days, I got a little boost by using a 180* tstat over the stock 195. Is it safe to use one in the hemi?
I think I remember someone on here using the wrong tstat and having problems. If I were you I would stick with the proper tstat. And I don't think you really need to remove the block plugs, unless you want to.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Do not remove the engine block plugs for a coolant swap. No need to and you will thank me later. Trust me

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm about halfway through the job at the moment (first stage of prestone flush is now cooling and I have a couple of observations/questions:

When I refilled it, I added the flush directly to the radiator, topped off the reservoir/radiator with water. I let all bubbles come to the top of the radiator before I sealed it and started it. It seems that the purge screw is lower than the radiator cap, so wouldn't all of the air in the system eventually make its way there? The bleed screw seems like a pain given that I had to remove the air box to access it. Unless I'm completely off base, it seems like the air would eventually make its way out on it's own. Thinking if I just carry a 50/50 mix of the Zerex/distilled water and check it a few times I'll be OK. Thoughts?

Ryan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm about halfway through the job at the moment (first stage of prestone flush is now cooling and I have a couple of observations/questions:

When I refilled it, I added the flush directly to the radiator, topped off the reservoir/radiator with water. I let all bubbles come to the top of the radiator before I sealed it and started it. It seems that the purge screw is lower than the radiator cap, so wouldn't all of the air in the system eventually make its way there? The bleed screw seems like a pain given that I had to remove the air box to access it. Unless I'm completely off base, it seems like the air would eventually make its way out on it's own. Thinking if I just carry a 50/50 mix of the Zerex/distilled water and check it a few times I'll be OK. Thoughts?

Ryan
OK, job done, and I actually did utilize the bleed screw. It's cooling off now from the 50/50 of Zerex/distilled/4oz of water wetter. Gonna drive it around the neighborhood here in a bit, but for now, I'll watch the level and call this one a day. At least for 5 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in