Oil Change Horror Story - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Oil Change Horror Story

I have an '06 with 5.7L HEMI. I have read many threads on here about the Commander/HEMI combo being finicky about oil and filters, so I always changed my own oil. Last time, however, I was tempted to take my vehicle to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change because I was pressed for time and I had a coupon.

BIG MISTAKE!!! - Jeep ran fine for about 1500 miles, then the oil light started coming on and off. I checked the oil level and found it to be 1 qt. low. I usually don't even check my oil because at 90K miles, it doesn't leak or burn enough to even notice. Best I can figure, they shorted me a quart on the oil change. Next, I looked down at the oil filter to make sure it wasn't leaking, and the darn thing looked TINY! Anyone who has changed their own knows that the oil filter on the 5.7L is about the size of two cans of tuna stacked atop one another. The oil filter they installed was the size of a small can of tomato juice.

I called the store and they looked up their service records and repeated to me that they installed a 117 filter, which is what their computer shows. I told them the actual filter size and he said that equated to a 106 in their stock, but that was NOT the correct filter for the vehicle. I made the guy look it up on the internet and he eventually admitted that their computer was probably wrong, but there should be nothing wrong with the one they put on there, and he wouldn't change it. Instead, he had me call an 800 number to complain to their customer service department. I tried to call the number and got nowhere.

I changed the oil and filter myself (used a WIX 51085 and Mobil 1 5W20) and the oil light went out. No telling how much damage was done, but furtunately for me, I caught it earlier rather than later. I guess time will tell.

I caution all who read this thread that the largest oil-change chain in America is using the wrong products on your Jeep and they refuse to admit that they have a problem. As with so many things in life, if you want it done right you should do it yourself, or at least take it to a qualified operation to have it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

not a fan of valvoline places,
i had a coupon for a free change,
they ended up putting in thier next gen oil,
which is 50% recycled oil,
I changed it a few months later with 5w30 high mileage and a mopar filter,

before people chime in that u can only use 5w20 with MDS, just know that outside
of the USA most countries cannot get 5w20 and everyone uses 5w30 even dealers

2009 F350 Twin Turbo PSD CC 4x4 (572hp/1161tq)
2006 Commander Hemi Limited QDII
2004 Ram Hemi 4x4 QC longbed
1997 Wrangler 4.0L/5spd/4"lift/33s/4.10s/lockers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,499, Level: 100 Points: 59,499, Level: 100 Points: 59,499, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandwagoneer View Post
before people chime in that u can only use 5w20 with MDS, just know that outside
of the USA most countries cannot get 5w20 and everyone uses 5w30 even dealers
Where are you located ?

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 147,000
I know this is a old thread but this is an very old story so here goes. In 1975 I bought a new Ford van had a pukey 351W for power all that and 9mpg . So at my first oil change I used Valvoline oil and at about 1000k on the oil change I checked the oil there wasn't any showing on the stick I like to crap my pants. So I bought some Pennzoil oil and changed out the Valvoline and everything was okey dokey haven't used Valvoline since and have used nothing but Pennzoil since.

Mark

08 Hemi Commander, QT2 diffs boo!, 2 inch lift, 265/70/17 Michelin donuts, and it even has the silent MYGIG radio option too this things almost loaded.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,033, Level: 94 Points: 24,033, Level: 94 Points: 24,033, Level: 94
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HEMIinKY View Post
I caution all who read this thread that the largest oil-change chain in America is using the wrong products on your Jeep and they refuse to admit that they have a problem. As with so many things in life, if you want it done right you should do it yourself, or at least take it to a qualified operation to have it done.
06HEMIinKY;

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but, like you said - at least you caught it early.

This is exactly why I have all of my maintenance and repairs done at the dealership.

Yes it may cost a little more - but at least I know it's done right - and if something goes wrong, they will stand behind their work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in