Radiator and brakes... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,252, Level: 19 Points: 1,252, Level: 19 Points: 1,252, Level: 19
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Radiator and brakes...

I have two separate issues with my '06 base model 3.7L Commander with 122K miles. First: last year I replaced the water pump because it was leaking. I used a Bosch and after a few months in continued to leak. My mechanic says most of the aftermarket stuff is all crap and recommends parts from the dealer. So I am planning to replace my water pump again, soon. During the previous job, while draining the fluid, nothing drained from the petcock at the bottom of the radiator. So is this something that can be fixed with DIY radiator flush? Do I need a new radiator?

Second: when I apply my brakes the vehicles makes a back and forth pulsing motion. Sometimes worse than others... sometimes not at all. Is this from worn rotors? Should they just be turned on a lathe?

Cheers!
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I would inspect the pads and if they are good then I would just have the rotors turned. Probably around $150 at the dealer for labor if you don't want to tackle the job. I have never messed with the radiator on my Jeep. I paid the delaer to do a coolant flush around 70k when the water pump started to drip and needed replaced.Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Points: 1,215, Level: 19 Points: 1,215, Level: 19 Points: 1,215, Level: 19
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

if the rad is not leaking just do a flush on it. For the brakes I would recommended replacing the front pads and rotors. If your having a pulsing problem the main cause is warped rotors and just having them turned isn't going to fix the problem.

** 2008 Sport 4x4 3.7L XK ** 2" RC Lift ** UniStrut Roof Rails **

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Most definitely have warped rotors when you feel pulsation. If your pads are pretty worn, might as well replace w/ new rotors/pads. Don't get fooled by the coolant leak being related to your then replaced WP. Inspect from the bottom, going up. See if you see some pink/white path of residue. Typically when replacing WPs, you'll want to also replace the thermostat (TS) as well. The TS is between the block and the TS housing, which connects between the radiator hose and engine block. Over time the gasket between that housing and engine block will weaken and leak coolant. At least on my HEMI, it's starting to. I thought it was coming from the water pump as well...but it's still good. Good luck and keep us updated.

Join us on Facebook @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
During the previous job, while draining the fluid, nothing drained from the petcock at the bottom of the radiator. So is this something that can be fixed with DIY radiator flush? Do I need a new radiator?

Not sure why the rad wouldnt drain. I've had this happen and couldnt figure it out. Especially when the coolant isn't even dirty.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! The reason I suspected the water pump is leaking is because the fluid seems to be dripping onto the harmonic balancer, then getting splashed onto the oil filter. Weird thing is, my mechanic recognized what I was talking about and agreed I have a leak. But he said he could not reproduce the leak, even when pressurizing the coolant system. But there is definitely a leak, I am topping off my radiator weekly
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Points: 5,088, Level: 45 Points: 5,088, Level: 45 Points: 5,088, Level: 45
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Easiest thing to do if it's not too cold where you're at... go to a self-wash station... leave the truck running. Wash the engine bay down. Then get it home and look for the start of the leak... can be lots of small stuff too.

Did you check all the hoses at clamps to determine if the hose has worn through where clamped down? Sometimes, they just wear from vibration.

If not Thermostat housing, Water Pump, is there anything coming from the WP weep hole?

Did you check your oil? Is it milky? That could be bad...I'm assuming temperature of the Jeep is okay. If temp is going up and oil is milky could be head gasket.

Otherwise, like all above said flush radiator, monitor hoses, replace thermostat and gasket, then go waterpump and gasket. Chances are it's a gasket or hose that's worn.

Or of course could be the radiator leaking and you can't see it because it's covered or leaking from the side.

Good luck - keep us posted.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Wp/thermostat project

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclnce View Post
easiest thing to do if it's not too cold where you're at... Go to a self-wash station... Leave the truck running. Wash the engine bay down. Then get it home and look for the start of the leak... Can be lots of small stuff too.

Did you check all the hoses at clamps to determine if the hose has worn through where clamped down? Sometimes, they just wear from vibration.

If not thermostat housing, water pump, is there anything coming from the wp weep hole?

Did you check your oil? Is it milky? That could be bad...i'm assuming temperature of the jeep is okay. If temp is going up and oil is milky could be head gasket.

Otherwise, like all above said flush radiator, monitor hoses, replace thermostat and gasket, then go waterpump and gasket. Chances are it's a gasket or hose that's worn.

Or of course could be the radiator leaking and you can't see it because it's covered or leaking from the side.

Good luck - keep us posted.
no apparent wear on the hoses. Not able to visualize the weep hole, but i think that's where my mechanic suspected the leak is coming from. No milky oil... Thank god!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkjeep06 View Post
most definitely have warped rotors when you feel pulsation. If your pads are pretty worn, might as well replace w/ new rotors/pads. Don't get fooled by the coolant leak being related to your then replaced wp. Inspect from the bottom, going up. See if you see some pink/white path of residue. Typically when replacing wps, you'll want to also replace the thermostat (ts) as well. The ts is between the block and the ts housing, which connects between the radiator hose and engine block. Over time the gasket between that housing and engine block will weaken and leak coolant. At least on my hemi, it's starting to. I thought it was coming from the water pump as well...but it's still good. Good luck and keep us updated.
i'll have my rotors checked next. My wp and thermostat finally arrived so i'm tackling that job this weekend. A couple questions, and forgive me if these are answered elsewhere in this forum, but... Is there a particular order in which the wp bolts should be tightened? Also, what are the torque specs for the wp and idler pulley?

Cheers!
George
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Points: 32,379, Level: 100 Points: 32,379, Level: 100 Points: 32,379, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
On the radiator drain, it moves some and then gets harder to move before it opens, must move about a 1/2 turn and moves out toward the rear before it will drain.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in