Caliper bracket bolt size? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Caliper bracket bolt size?

Curious, does anyone know the size of the bolts that hold on the front caliper brackets? I'm asking because I plan to remove the rotors and replace, but when I went to tackle it last time I didn't have a socket big enough and don't feel like running out to get the size....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Points: 7,199, Level: 56 Points: 7,199, Level: 56 Points: 7,199, Level: 56
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

Garage
M14, p/n 5093355AB
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AByrvalg View Post
M14, p/n 5093355AB
Thats the bolt for the caliper to hold it to the bracket.

I think the OP is talking about the actual bracket that wraps around the rotor, the pads mount in it and the caliper bolts to it.

If I remember correctly it was a 19mm bolt head, but its been a while, I have sockets this size so it didn't stand out to me, it might be even larger than that.

19mm is the same size for the lug nuts, so you could always pull out the lug wrench that is in the back with the tire jack and use it to remove the bolts, at least check to see if it fits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Garage
That's right. 19mm wrench. p/n 6507152AA. Bolt dims are: M14x2.00x45.00.
Caliper adapter to knuckle.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Ahhhh, OK, the link comes up to a diagram that seems to show the bolts for the caliper to the adapter.

So, this may or may NOT work, but the lug wrench that is in the back with the scissors jack should fit a 19mm bolt head. Of course its a compact wrench, might NOT be enough leverage, but worth a shot if you're trying to do this on the cheap, at least you definitely confirm what size socket you'll need to get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Garage
I checked it, head size is 21mm. not 19. M14 bolt corresponds to 21mm head normally. Torque is 129 Nm (95 ft lb)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM

21mm socket with 95 ft-lbs (actually greater, maybe a lot more, for a bolt that has been torqued down that long)?

nserafini you might want to consider picking up a 2' breaker bar with the socket. If I remember correctly, I had to break those bolts free with my 2' breaker bar, the 8" socket wrench wasn't enough leverage for those big bolts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
21mm socket with 95 ft-lbs (actually greater, maybe a lot more, for a bolt that has been torqued down that long)?

nserafini you might want to consider picking up a 2' breaker bar with the socket. If I remember correctly, I had to break those bolts free with my 2' breaker bar, the 8" socket wrench wasn't enough leverage for those big bolts.
Thanks kids. I've been putting it off because the last two times I went to remove a wheel, I've rounded the acorn nut ( I have a 4-way wrench and even though the size should be exact for the nut, it seems that my gorilla hands can round it ).... Perhaps if the weather is nice this weekend I'll go pickup new nuts, a 21mm, breaker bar and plan to curse the gods trying to get them off.. Or I'll take it to a shop and see what they will charge to do the work
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Points: 1,429, Level: 21 Points: 1,429, Level: 21 Points: 1,429, Level: 21
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

After you get the caliper off there is a rubber o ring that holds that rotor on.
It is on the hub or unit bearing.
That is if it is still the stock rotor.
Most people leave it off after they put new rotors on.
I think it is there more for assy. at the factory.
Make sure you torque the caliper bracket back on to factory specs! It may see excessive but I have seen them come loose before.

06 Jeep Commander, 4.7L, 2 inch OME lift, 265/70x17 tires, Rocky Road sliders

Last edited by TSEJEEPERS; 08-04-2014 at 09:14 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nserafini View Post
Thanks kids. I've been putting it off because the last two times I went to remove a wheel, I've rounded the acorn nut ( I have a 4-way wrench and even though the size should be exact for the nut, it seems that my gorilla hands can round it ).... Perhaps if the weather is nice this weekend I'll go pickup new nuts, a 21mm, breaker bar and plan to curse the gods trying to get them off.. Or I'll take it to a shop and see what they will charge to do the work
? You rounded it yourself while tightening it? OR, you've rounded the nut trying to loosen them? Often shops overtorque the lug nuts because they use air impact wrenches to tighten the lug nuts, but idea, and it ruins the lug nuts and studs, if NOT causes them to break and pop off while driving.

If you're rounding the lug nuts, something is wrong, either they were overtorqued by a previous owner/shop, OR your wrench/socket does NOT fit properly, OR you're overtorquing the lug nuts yourself.

The socket size for the OEM lug nuts is 19mm or 3/4", both are the same size, and will fit properly and NOT round off the lug nuts.

With aluminum wheels it is critical to have the correct clamping surface (tapered, rounded, flat) make sure the replacement lugs have the correct surface, take an old one with you to the auto store to compare with the new set you're looking at buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
After you get the caliper off there is a rubber o ring that holds that rotor on.
It is on the hub or unit bearing.
That is if it is still the stock rotor.
Most people leave it off after they put new rotors on.
I think it is there more for assy. at the factory.
That is exactly what it is there for, to hold the rotor flush against the hub while it is moving down the assembly line to the next station where the caliper gets installed.
No need to keep it, but some people do because if you remove the caliper to change pads, the rotor will tilt and NOT hold flush on the hub. You can accomplish the same effect by just threading one of the lug nuts down to the rotor to hold it in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Make sure you torque the caliper bracket back on to factory specs! It may see excessive but I have seen them come loose before.
Use a little blue loctite on it, not only to prevent it from coming loose, but to seal out road salt and moisture that might cause corrosion and seize those bolts for the next time you need to pull them.

Last edited by Mongo; 08-05-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in