Blower Motor and Actuator Question.... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,439, Level: 52 Points: 6,439, Level: 52 Points: 6,439, Level: 52
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Question Blower Motor and Actuator Question....

I had to replace the Blower Motor on my Commander today. As I was taking down the black trim panel directly under the motor, I found a piece of the gear that controls the REC door (I think). I researched the part number and ordered online (just the gear itself, not the whole part). While I am awaiting delivery of the part, I am trying to research the removal and installation procedure for this piece.

It looks like it is held on by 3 screws and comes off fairly easy. The problem I foresee is the Installation.

While looking up in the space that normally occupies the blower motor, I can see a door that opens/closes. This gear looks like it mesh's with another gear that actuates this door. When installing, should I make sure this door is fully closed or fully opened?? Should the HVAC system be in the "Off mode", "A/C Rec Mode" or something else?

I tried a search and found nothing regarding these questions. Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Jeep Commander 65th Anniversary Edition

Jeep Green
3.7 V6-QT I

Last edited by inccognito2u; 08-25-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 AM
Points: 16,206, Level: 81 Points: 16,206, Level: 81 Points: 16,206, Level: 81
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Just interested as to why you had to replace the motor? Mine seems to run on high speed lately. 06 XKLimited
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

4WD
The Blower motor started to make a "rumbling" sound.....on occasion.
Figured that I would replace it before it got any worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep Green
3.7 V6-QT I

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

There is a resistor pack that controls the blower motor speed, if it burns out it usually shorts to the highest speed only, regardless of what speed you select with the knob. If you're saying this is what happened to you Creek (I'm NOT sure if you were saying that in your post) replacing the resistor pack usually fixes this, you should be able to access it behind the glove box, right next to the blower motor. (The idea is the resistor pack is in the plenum from the fan and has the air flow from the fan blown over it, that help controls the fan speed, as the resistors cool/heat up, their resistance changes to help control fan speed).

incongnito2u, I forget the exact location of the motor to open the recirculation/vent door above the blower motor/fan. It is somewhere near the door itself and I think it might be bolt to the side of the stack that has the door in it. If you can reach it without removing the dash, it will be difficult to reach at the very least, you might not be able to at all.

If I remember correctly, I did NOT see any gears in the linkage for the recirc/vent door (I could be wrong), it was more a crank and drag link simply pulling/pushing the door open/closed.

I do remember being able to remove the glove box and straining to see it, you can see the door for recirc/vent and watch it open and close and confirm it does it fully. I would do that before assuming the gear parts you found are part of that door and its actuator, it might be somehere else.

Do you have the dual zone environmental control? If you do, you will have motors on each side of the "Air Blend" box, and its possible gears fell out of one of the motors on that side and rolled over to the side where the blower motor/fan is located.

The single zone environmental controls have all the motors for the Air Blend doors on the drivers side, its the same air blend box for both systems, except the manual/single zone system has the driver/passenger doors interconnected and a single set of motors on the driver's side.

Both have a single motor for the air blend door for the heater on the passenger side, very low and forward. But this one doesn't have any gears in it, it just turns the door directly.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Hey...Found this: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19141

This describes my issue to a "T"........I ordered that "gear" (MOPAR part #68072190aa) that the original OP is holding in his hand.

When the part comes, I will disassemble the unit and try to put it on.

I assume that when the HVAC control knob is in the "Off" position, that the Recirculation door will be all the way closed, correct?
When in the "Fresh air" positon, it is opened, and in the REC mode, it is closed again.

(FYI: I have the single zone system)

Jeep Green
3.7 V6-QT I
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inccognito2u View Post
This describes my issue to a "T"........I ordered that "gear" (MOPAR part #68072190aa) that the original OP is holding in his hand.
I was wrong, the actuator for the vent/recirc door does have a big gear on it, looks like you're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inccognito2u View Post
I assume that when the HVAC control knob is in the "Off" position, that the Recirculation door will be all the way closed, correct?
When in the "Fresh air" positon, it is opened, and in the REC mode, it is closed again.

(FYI: I have the single zone system)
I think the ricirc door stays in the last position it was when you turn off the HVAC? But I could be wrong. I have the single zone, manual system, I don't think there is a way to turn it off, unless you count turning the blower speed knob to the off position, which does turn off the AC.

When you have the mode selection knob to "fresh air" or "vent", the door should "look" closed from the passenger compartment, because it is closing off the open to the passenger compartment and opening it to the outside vent that is in the plastic bezel under the windshield. When the knob is in the "ricirculate" positions, the door should look open from the passenger compartment, because it is drawing air in from the passenger compartment. You may have meant that, because the door doesn't really open or close, it simply redirects the air flow from one source or the other.

Last edited by Mongo; 08-26-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thumbs up

Ok......
I received the part this afternoon (TG for overnight shipping)......
Crawled back under the Dash and I removed the actuator motor that the gear attaches to. It is held on by 3 torx screws. One was hard to get to, but all in all, not that difficult to remove.
When I removed the actuator motor, the gear literally fell apart in my hand. Must be a defective part and maybe, just maybe, there may be more Jeep XK's that are suffering from this problem and most are unaware.
The new gear drops firmly on the actuator's motor shaft. Due to the design of the shaft, it can only go on one way. You'll know when you see it.
I moved the Recirc door by hand to the "Closed position" by rotating the gear forward, towards the firewall. Confirmed this by removing the blower motor (again!) and visually seeing it closed.
I then positioned the actuator motor with the new gear along side the "gear" that opens/closes the Recirc door.
Aligning the mounting holes of the actuator motor with the holes drilled into the side of the housing, I wiggled it just enough that eventually both the actuator motor gear and Recirc door gear mated perfectly. (Strange, when it "popped" into place, I just knew it was right....that's how positive the mating is).
I inserted and tightened the 3 torx screws nice and snug.
I then started the XK up, turned on the A/C and confirmed that the actuator was indeed opening and closing the door. It seemed to go into some sort of self-check procedure because as I watched it, it cycled from Full open to full close a bunch of times before settling into the closed position when I turned off the A/C.
Satisfied that I installed it correctly, I put the Blower Motor back in, installed all the trim, Glove Compartment ect. and took it for a ride.

Two observations:
1) The A/C definitely blows harder and cooler now in the Recirc mode.
2) When the A/C is off, I don't get that annoying "draft" (That the dealer said was "Normal") on my feet anymore!!!

Thanks to all that helped in my Journey for I am grateful!

Jeep Green
3.7 V6-QT I

Last edited by inccognito2u; 08-26-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,295, Level: 100 Points: 59,295, Level: 100 Points: 59,295, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
The gear was redesigned. See this thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31905

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Points: 16,206, Level: 81 Points: 16,206, Level: 81 Points: 16,206, Level: 81
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Mongo said.....There is a resistor pack that controls the blower motor speed, if it burns out it usually shorts to the highest speed only, regardless of what speed you select with the knob. If you're saying this is what happened to you Creek (I'm NOT sure if you were saying that in your post) replacing the resistor pack usually fixes this, you should be able to access it behind the glove box, right next to the blower motor. (The idea is the resistor pack is in the plenum from the fan and has the air flow from the fan blown over it, that help controls the fan speed, as the resistors cool/heat up, their resistance changes to help control fan speed).

This is what is happening to me, in my old GC there was a bar on top of the fan motor that needed to resoldered from time to time, I assume the resistor pack takes the place of the bar. Also if I have the dual controls is this what is considered the climate controlled AC? There were two different packs when I looked for the part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in