rear differential problem - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

rear differential problem

Hi, New here, ran into a situation on the weekend.
was on a major highway, passing a car, when heard a "pop" coming from rear of my 06 commander. I thought it was a flat tire, as there was vibration when i was pulling over. Upon inspection, the rear diff fluid was coming out the pinion seal, and two red plastic eze seal 2 plugs laying on the ground. I had it towed to my shop, it will still drive, but with clunking noise. My question is, could this be just the seal needing replacement, or worse? and just wondering what the eze seal plugs do? I was thinking maybe they were a pressured relief type plug? Im trying to get as much info before i pull it apart. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

There is NOT enough information to make a diagnosis, but....

If it was just the seal that failed, or the vent valve (that let the axle overpressurize and blow out the seal) you would NOT have clunking sounds and vibrations right away. Obviously if you drove a long time without oil in the axle that could cause damage and maybe that did happen and the seal parts came out later.

But, one possibility is if the bearing for the pinion failed, that would cause vibrations and clunking sounds right away, it would also allow the pinion to move off center and would tear up the seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
rear differential

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in