Light switch part number - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,556, Level: 37 Points: 3,556, Level: 37 Points: 3,556, Level: 37
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Light switch part number

2006 Jeep Commander. My fog lights recently stopped working. Checked the bulbs, fuse and relay and they are in otherwise working condition. I'm thinking the on/off of the fog lights over the years has worn down the switch. Does anybody have a Mopar part number? I have the instructions on how to replace but they do not have a part number for the light stalk.

Thanks!

*edit, I need the one with the auto headlight feature.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2006 Jeep Commander Sport

Last edited by Hobbes; 10-13-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Have you checked for stored DTC's?

It may be different than my 2010, but I suspect it is the same; the fog lamps are turned on by a digital signal to the FCU.

Yes, a bad switch is possible, if it doesn't do the right digital signal to the FCU, but it could be any number of things wrong with the steering column or CAN network in the vehicle.

If you have a proper scan tool (meaning one much better and more expensive than you buy in the department/auto stores) you can cue the fog/lamps on and off yourself without the switch, if they won't turn on, you know the problem is elsewhere. If they do turn on, and you have no other DTC's from the steering column, then I would suspect the switch. It would depend on the tool, but you can even set a monitor for the switch and see if the bit changes when you operate the switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

If what Mongo said to check doesn't work and you want to replace the entire switch head to RockAuto.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Have you checked for stored DTC's?

It may be different than my 2010, but I suspect it is the same; the fog lamps are turned on by a digital signal to the FCU.
How are the fog lights on your 2010 activated? On my 2006, they are activated by pulling out the knob on the end of the light stalk. To turn them off you push the knob back in and to be honest I was never really gentle with turning them off. I have no other codes on the Jeep.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
How are the fog lights on your 2010 activated? On my 2006, they are activated by pulling out the knob on the end of the light stalk. To turn them off you push the knob back in and to be honest I was never really gentle with turning them off. I have no other codes on the Jeep.
I turn my fog lights on/off on my 2010 the same way. The switch in the stalk is NOT connected to the circuits on the fog lamps though. The switch is connected to the Steering Column control module. The computer in the steering column receives a signal from the stalk with the fog lamp switch, it talks to the FCU over the CAN network and the FCU triggers a relay to turn on the fog lamps.

I can plug my laptop into the OBDII connector and turn the fog lamps and headlamps, even the horn, on and off using my Autoenginuity software.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I turn my fog lights on/off on my 2010 the same way. The switch in the stalk is NOT connected to the circuits on the fog lamps though. The switch is connected to the Steering Column control module. The computer in the steering column receives a signal from the stalk with the fog lamp switch, it talks to the FCU over the CAN network and the FCU triggers a relay to turn on the fog lamps.

I can plug my laptop into the OBDII connector and turn the fog lamps and headlamps, even the horn, on and off using my Autoenginuity software.
If the problem is not with the stalk itself but somewhere else, would the other functions in the stalk not work as well? All other functions of the stalk work, headlights, turn signals, etc... I can hear the relays clicking when I use the other functions of the stalk. I'm trying not to have to purchase a scanner in addition to parts to fix the problem.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
If the problem is not with the stalk itself but somewhere else, would the other functions in the stalk not work as well? All other functions of the stalk work, headlights, turn signals, etc... I can hear the relays clicking when I use the other functions of the stalk. I'm trying not to have to purchase a scanner in addition to parts to fix the problem.
A scanner that can read codes from the other modules in the vehicle will cost close to and more than $500. Scanners that are less just do the OBDII codes from the PCM. You might be able to find one being sold used on ebay for less.

The only point I was trying to make was that fog lamp switch is NOT as simple as a switch and a bulb. If you leave the troubleshooting at the bulb is good, it must be the switch, you might find a new switch doesn't fix the problem.

The Key Dance to read out stored DTC's in the EVIC will read out some CAN Communication codes, if you have those, I would resolve them before installing a new stalk/switch. I would look through the fuse and relay charts/diagrams and make sure there is NOT a fuse or relay for the fog lamps that might be blown.

But like you say, if you have no codes, no blown fuses or relays, there is nothing else related in any way that has failed as well, i.e. indicating a common cause, then yea, it's pointing toward the stalk. Price of a replacement falls into it as well, if its cheap, go ahead and get a new one and replace it, if its expensive, then I would spend a little more time trying to figure out how to narrow down the cause before risking wasting money.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

So tonight I replaced the multiple multifunction switch on the Commander. My fog lights now work again. The part number for the stalk with the fog lights and auto headlights option is 5143313AF. The hardest part of changing the switch out was paying for it. Dealer wanted $120, local auto parts stores wanted between $138 (Advanced), $139 (Pepboys), and $183 �� (Autozone). Ordered it from Rockauto $88 (2 day shipping).

I tried the key dance to check for codes for future reference but I couldn't get it to work on my Jeep.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in