UNDER-Heating !? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

UNDER-Heating !?

Hey y'all!
'06 Commander Limited, HEMI, 75k miles.

This is my first winter with it. it has been sub-freezing in the mornings around here lately, and it seems to take a VERY long time to get any heat going in the Commander. (by that, I mean 15 or 20 minutes) and even then it never exceeds about the 1/4 mark. (I admit that I haven't paid enough attention previously, but it seems like about the 1/2-mark was normal before it got cold)

Anybody else have the same issue?

about 15 days ago, when the weather atrted to change, the CEL came on with code P0128, which is a rationality problem between temp and time-running. I cleared it once and it has not come back.

HELP me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Thermostat stuck open?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Do you have an engine oil heater? I live in CA, so i wear shortsleeves most of the year, but if i saw regular below zero temps I would seriously consider one.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

UNDER-Heating !?

What is the typical operating temp on the gauge for a 2006 Hemi?

I've noticed mine warms up reasonably quick, but stays at about 1/2 past the second mark (not quite straight up).

In your case I agree with the above... Seems like an engine block heater makes sense to get your vehicle ready quicker in those temps and protect from the warmup period lubrication challenges.

2006 XK Limited 5.7l. Inferno Red. QDII.
Gone: '12 JKR, '06 LJ Rubi, '06 WK, '04 TJ, '97 ZJ, '95 YJ

Last edited by ARJeeper; 11-18-2014 at 05:48 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Just about all modern engines operate at 195F. On every Chrysler vehicle I've owned this is just short of the half way mark on the temp gauge. If your temp gauge is NOT getting up to that point, something is wrong. If we were talking -10F its possible a good working cooling system might NOT get all the way up to operating temps, but in most places in the country, it will get up to full operating temp.

Thermostats are cheap and simple parts that rarely last the life of the vehicle, and in most cases when they fail you'll notice it the beginning of winter. They stick open, which won't be a big deal in warm weather, but in cold weather it can be a big deal, NOT only slow to warm up, you may never reach full operating temp.

Running at cooler than designed temps can increase wear and deposits on the engine.

I've also had a the code P0128, twice in the last 2 weeks, with the really cold mornings.

Funny thing is, I put a new thermostat in this summer when I did my coolant change, but it was a cheap aftermarket thermostat. Like I said, they are cheap and simple, its NOT that shocking the cheap replacement failed after 6 months. I just picked up an OEM thermostat at the Dealer today, will be putting it in this weekend.

Oh, the engine block or oil heaters, all they do is keep the engine warmer when its NOT running so it doesn't drop down to the below freezing temps. These are for extreme cold weather, either protect it in Artic Wx or to get the heater working sooner in less than Artic Wx. It will help you warm up faster, but it will do nothing to get you up to full operating temp, these heaters are NOT a solution for a vehicle that is overcooling the engine, they will NOT fix the problem, you need to change out the thermostat. In the off chance the O.P. is experiencing extreme cold, like -10F or less, it might NOT be the thermostat, but instead the extreme cold, in that case you would have to block off a portion of the radiator with cardboard, if that was the case you would see other cars and trucks doing that in your area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 11-19-2014 at 07:36 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I swapped out the aftermarket Thermostat in my XK, with a new OEM one from the Dealer. I still get the code P0128 on really cold mornings and the temp gauge seems to show it slow to warm up and stays below the actual operating temp when near freezing, but when its above 50F that needle acts normal.

I've replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) and the needle seems to be working like it should and no P0128 yet.

So it seems this problem can be a thermostat or a bad CTS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Update on this. I replaced my thermostat (easy 15 minute job) and now my cluster gauge shows the temp just shy of half (straight up) once at operating temp.

2006 XK Limited 5.7l. Inferno Red. QDII.
Gone: '12 JKR, '06 LJ Rubi, '06 WK, '04 TJ, '97 ZJ, '95 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in