New to a Commander and Hemi - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New to a Commander and Hemi

Just got my wife an 09 Commander Limited with the 5.7 and what i understand is Quadradrive (?? full time with low range ??) - it has 54K on it and is in great shape (appearance wise) - we even got the window sticker which says 13-19 for MPG. My question is what is typical for these in the real world? We are hard pressed to get more than 13 out of it with about 60% highway and 40% city - i know it's not a Prius but thought it would be at least in the middle of the stated range. I searched and didn't find specific threads readily on this, if there are, a link would be greatly appreciated. I am assuming it may be time for plugs - just through i would get some real world input on what everyone else is getting as i feel my way around this vehicle.......... thanks!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

My Hemi does'nt get any better than that.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Points: 1,038, Level: 17 Points: 1,038, Level: 17 Points: 1,038, Level: 17
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Yep, same here. I took a 1500 mile road trip a few months ago and got around 15mpg, but that's the best I've seen out of it. Mine has 53K and I just changed my plugs because it had a rough idle. Now it runs much better, hoping it will help mpg too.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

I've never seen better than 16 average for a tank.
it's a little disappointing, actually. My Mercedes ML weighs 5100lbs, and has a 300hp V8. And even with my oversized / off-road tires, I can average well over 20mpg on a tank.
But the Commander tilts at around the same 5000lbs, and with a 330hp V8 averages 14mpg.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

10-4 - that's what i needed - sounds like it's about average - still planning a plug/ belt and hose change this spring when it's warmer, maybe that will help just a little anyway. Appreciate the confirmation!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I've never seen better than 16 average for a tank.
it's a little disappointing, actually. My Mercedes ML weighs 5100lbs, and has a 300hp V8. And even with my oversized / off-road tires, I can average well over 20mpg on a tank.
But the Commander tilts at around the same 5000lbs, and with a 330hp V8 averages 14mpg.
Agreed, i drive an Ecoboost F-150 - get's about 16 combined and easily over 20 when all highway - and the durned thing is quick/ powerful - amazing what technology can do for MPG sometimes.................

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The safety standards for the vehicles have really upped their weight and the pollution standards for the engines have really decreased their efficiency. Not to mention, mandated ethanol and other "oxygenating" additives to the fuel decreases the mileage they can provide. In winter, most areas have mandated blends for the weather conditions that increases the ethanol and other additives even more and thus the mileage goes down even more.

Newer technology, because of Mileage mandates are increasing their mileage even more, as well as the price of the vehicles.

I think the current year F-150 (maybe next years) have an Aluminum Body to combat the growth in weight of the vehicles from safety standards, and it barely any savings in weight at a great increase in cost, but the bar is set so high by all the different mandates, that is what they forced into with every little bit that helps being needed. As well, its arguable that the car manufacturer's learning the expertise to build aluminum bodies will benefit them and all in the future.

But for your Commander, the EPA has changed its test for MPG ratings to be more reflective of actual driving conditions, so your mileage may vary disclaimer of the past, varies even less today. BUT, you still have to drive like a little old lady to get the same as the EPA rated MPG. As well, if you're stuck in heavy traffic (doesn't has to be a traffic jam) there is no helping the mileage being lower than advertised.

Things to improve mileage, other than driving like a little old lady:
*You've already mentioned fresh spark plugs.
*Don't forget a clean Air Filter.
*Don't forget your ignition cables (some years Commander had them on their engines, some do NOT, having all coil over plug.) But, ignition cables, if you have them, do NOT last the life the vehicle, they degrade internally over time and with use and cut down on ignition energy. (there is a test for them in the FSM).
*Clean Fuel Injectors (a little fuel injector cleaner can't hurt once in a while) Chevron *Techron is considered a good one, there are more than a few that are worthless and nothing more than some alcohol in a bottle.
*Tires inflated to the proper pressure (higher gives better mileage). TPMS only tells you your pressure is getting low enough to be dangerous. You still have to check it and fill it to the proper pressure.
*Checking for stored fault codes and correcting any codes you find.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The safety standards for the vehicles have really upped their weight and the pollution standards for the engines have really decreased their efficiency. Not to mention, mandated ethanol and other "oxygenating" additives to the fuel decreases the mileage they can provide. In winter, most areas have mandated blends for the weather conditions that increases the ethanol and other additives even more and thus the mileage goes down even more.

Newer technology, because of Mileage mandates are increasing their mileage even more, as well as the price of the vehicles.

I think the current year F-150 (maybe next years) have an Aluminum Body to combat the growth in weight of the vehicles from safety standards, and it barely any savings in weight at a great increase in cost, but the bar is set so high by all the different mandates, that is what they forced into with every little bit that helps being needed. As well, its arguable that the car manufacturer's learning the expertise to build aluminum bodies will benefit them and all in the future.

But for your Commander, the EPA has changed its test for MPG ratings to be more reflective of actual driving conditions, so your mileage may vary disclaimer of the past, varies even less today. BUT, you still have to drive like a little old lady to get the same as the EPA rated MPG. As well, if you're stuck in heavy traffic (doesn't has to be a traffic jam) there is no helping the mileage being lower than advertised.

Things to improve mileage, other than driving like a little old lady:
*You've already mentioned fresh spark plugs.
*Don't forget a clean Air Filter.
*Don't forget your ignition cables (some years Commander had them on their engines, some do NOT, having all coil over plug.) But, ignition cables, if you have them, do NOT last the life the vehicle, they degrade internally over time and with use and cut down on ignition energy. (there is a test for them in the FSM).
*Clean Fuel Injectors (a little fuel injector cleaner can't hurt once in a while) Chevron *Techron is considered a good one, there are more than a few that are worthless and nothing more than some alcohol in a bottle.
*Tires inflated to the proper pressure (higher gives better mileage). TPMS only tells you your pressure is getting low enough to be dangerous. You still have to check it and fill it to the proper pressure.
*Checking for stored fault codes and correcting any codes you find.
Well you nailed everything that I came here to say and then some.

Plugs are only good for 30k. Change those first. Use factory recommended coppers with the correct gap.

new Diff and trans fluid may help.

New plugs, fluids and tune increased my average MPG noticeably.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 01-20-2015 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Well you nailed everything that I came here to say and then some.

Plugs are only good for 30k. Change those first. Use factory recommended coppers with the correct gap.

new Diff and trans fluid may help.

New plugs, fluids and tune increased my average MPG noticeably.
Aftermarket tune or verification of factory tune? - already has a K&N filter (clean), was thinking a tune might help (it has on all the others i have put it on) - thanks for the input!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTC14bm View Post
Aftermarket tune or verification of factory tune? - already has a K&N filter (clean), was thinking a tune might help (it has on all the others i have put it on) - thanks for the input!
I am running a hypertech max energy tune on my 3.7L, there are other better options for the Hemi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in