Oil change message opinion - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Oil change message opinion

Wanted some opinions.....got the oil change required message after driving my XK less than 300 miles and only having for 3 weeks. After researching the threads on forum on resets and how the systems works I am baffled as to why this message has come up?

1 of 2 things???

Either when I bought the used commander the dealer never changed the oil? OR

Its malfunction? How can this message come up after 300 miles of driving off lot? And if it is.......someone needs to go to Chrysler and punch the engineers and designers for making such a bonehead design. MY ford fusion has engine oil life message that tells you percentage left on it but doesnt come up till its getting low and can be reset. So if this message is gonna keep reappearing cause I drive maybe 14 miles day round trip and its gonna reoccur every 300 miles then I guess Ill have to log odometer and make sure I change it every 3k miles instead of the 300 miles and ignore this flawed design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The Oil Change message can NOT be reset until it appears. So if you change the oil early, before the message pops up, you can't reset it at the time of the oil change. (Perhaps the Dealer Scan tool is capable of resetting the oil change required warning before it actually goes off, if you bought the Commander at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Dealership, bad on them).

The earlier Commanders, its "thought" the oil change warning is purely mileage based. The later Commanders, its "thought" to be usage based, i.e. the mileage between the light going off will depend on how, conditions you drive the vehicle.

I don't trust dealer's, it would NOT surprise me in the least if they lied and said they changed the oil and never did it. Check the oil and look at it on the dipstick, wipe the dipstick with a clean rag and look at the stain on the clean rag, if the oil is dirty I doubt its only been used 300miles, if the oil is fairly clean, then I would guess the Dealership just did NOT reset the warning light. If you purchased from other than Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Dealer, likely thy could NOT reset the warning message until it actually appeared.

To reset the Oil Change Required message, turn the key to on (don't start the motor) and press the gas pedal fully down and let it fully up 3 times in a row within 3 seconds. The Oil Change Required message will change to Oil Change Reset message and go out. It should NOT come back until you need an oil change again, roughly 7500 miles, if you use the vehicle more severe (and short trips is severe) it may come on again earlier than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

The way things are going with this dealer I am more apt to believe it wasn't changed lol. But it's minor irritation compared to the flawed design in sunroof drains causing leaks inside pullers and bulkhead. Youd think there would be a recall on this from Chrysler due to the hazards of water dripping down while driving as distraction or water getting into dash cause short out on dash or even water freezing under rug under pedals could potentially cause failure of them working properly.

2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Maybe the 2008 is different, but from my 06 Owners manual

Press the "Menu" button to get into programmable mode - keep pressing the "Menu" button until Service Interval is displayed.

Service Interval
When this feature is selected a service interval between
2,000 (3 200 km) and 6,000 miles (10 000 km) in 500 mile
(800 km) increments may be selected. Pressing the STEP
button when in this display will select distances between
2,000 (3 200 km) and 6,000 miles (10 000 km) in 500 mile
(800 km) increments.
Reset Service Distance (Displays Only if Service
Interval was Changed)
When this feature is selected the current accumulated
service distance can be reset to the newly selected service
interval. Pressing the STEP button when in this display
will select “Yes” or “No.”

From normal display (CT) - Press the "Step" button until Miles to service is displayed

Miles to Service
Shows the distance remaining to require service.
NOTE: This display can be reset to the set service
interval by pressing and holding the RESET button for 3
seconds.
I can reset my miles to service at any time, and do often. It resets it to the miles you have set in the above procedure. Again is the 08 different?

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 12:53 PM

If you own a 2008, you should use the 2008 Owner's Manual, NOT the 2006 Owner's Manual.

At some point, the oil reminder was changed on the Commander. I seem to remember an earlier discussion that the earlier Commanders oil change reminder was based purely on mileage, and you could adjust the mileage interval in the setup menu of the EVIC.

I have the 2010, and there is no options/adjustments in the setup. Although I have NOT tracked it closely it appears to go off roughly every 7500 miles, but NOT exactly 7500 miles and it goes off more often for more severe usage and less often for less severe usage, which would make sense if it was conditions/usage based. My O.M. states to change the oil & filter every 7500 miles. I use Mobil1 Synthetic and Hastings or Wix oil filters, so I'm confident the 7500 mile interval is fine with those items for the severity of usage I do on my vehicle.

So, the question is, what does the 2008 O.M. say about it? Can you go into the EVIC setup and adjust the mileage between oil change reminders? If NOT, than its a good guess the oil change reminder has been changed to the same as my 2010.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
If you own a 2008, you should use the 2008 Owner's Manual, NOT the 2006 Owner's Manual.

At some point, the oil reminder was changed on the Commander. I seem to remember an earlier discussion that the earlier Commanders oil change reminder was based purely on mileage, and you could adjust the mileage interval in the setup menu of the EVIC.

I have the 2010, and there is no options/adjustments in the setup. Although I have NOT tracked it closely it appears to go off roughly every 7500 miles, but NOT exactly 7500 miles and it goes off more often for more severe usage and less often for less severe usage, which would make sense if it was conditions/usage based. My O.M. states to change the oil & filter every 7500 miles. I use Mobil1 Synthetic and Hastings or Wix oil filters, so I'm confident the 7500 mile interval is fine with those items for the severity of usage I do on my vehicle.

So, the question is, what does the 2008 O.M. say about it? Can you go into the EVIC setup and adjust the mileage between oil change reminders? If NOT, than its a good guess the oil change reminder has been changed to the same as my 2010.
Interesting. I could swear my 2010 goes off closer to 3000 miles. Ill have to check the next time it shows up.

Also running Mobil 1 oil and filter so I aim for 7500-10000 mile OCI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM

Since I've just started to rely on the message going off, I haven't really been paying attention and tracking the mileage in between. In the past I can remember it going off close to 7500 mi., we also were making a few long highway trips inbetween those. The last time it went off, I had been making 5mi trips exclusively, twice a day, I think it did go off closer to 3000 miles in that case, which would make sense, that is a lot of starts and warms up, at 5 mi. a time for 3000 miles, the oil needs changed sooner than 200 miles between starts and warm-ups.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Update ......I called the dealer they did do an oil change but didnt know how to reset the message or where it was.....so I did it tonight after I had to go and get gas lol....right at the pump...turn key to contact position but dont turn over pumped gas pedal 3x all the way to floor and message came up oil change reset ! This is on a 08 XK.

2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchXK View Post
Update ......I called the dealer they did do an oil change but didnt know how to reset the message or where it was.....so I did it tonight after I had to go and get gas lol....right at the pump...turn key to contact position but dont turn over pumped gas pedal 3x all the way to floor and message came up oil change reset ! This is on a 08 XK.
Yup, same as mine.

I cant fathom that there are dealerships that cant figure out how to do the most basic of things like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in