Battery keep draining, stalling problem. Pls help! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,168, Level: 51 Points: 6,168, Level: 51 Points: 6,168, Level: 51
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Battery keep draining, stalling problem. Pls help!

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the HEMI engine. About a month ago the radio started to act up; there was no sound coming out but the radio was on, all the controls on the radio was working but no sound. Radio started working fine after I went to the store. Later that day it rained hard and the car was in the parking lot. When we boarded the Jeep, I started it and the engine started but died after <5 sec and the RPM gauge did not go up and the all the lights in the dash was like flickering. I checked all the fuses and nothing was blown. I tried to start the car multiple times and it wouldn't stay running. I started the car using the remote start and stayed running but the RPM gauge never went up. I turned it off and try to start it again using the key but it wouldn't start. I had the car towed to my house. I recharged the battery and it started working good again as if nothing happened. I had the battery and alternator checked and they said everything is okay. Now, I am having problems of battery draining specially when it is raining. I had the battery and alternator rechecked and they are still good.
What do you think is wrong with it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rocky Road lift and super sliders, 4x Guard, Mopar skid plates, 255 75 17 BFG mud terrain (for fun), K&N air filter, 22 inch wheels (city wheels) chrome gas lid cover/handles, 4X Guard HC. Next mod... flaspaq, roof rack (depends if the XK will fit in the garage).. This JEEP thing is addicting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDrako View Post
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the HEMI engine. About a month ago the radio started to act up; there was no sound coming out but the radio was on, all the controls on the radio was working but no sound. Radio started working fine after I went to the store. Later that day it rained hard and the car was in the parking lot. When we boarded the Jeep, I started it and the engine started but died after <5 sec and the RPM gauge did not go up and the all the lights in the dash was like flickering. I checked all the fuses and nothing was blown. I tried to start the car multiple times and it wouldn't stay running. I started the car using the remote start and stayed running but the RPM gauge never went up. I turned it off and try to start it again using the key but it wouldn't start. I had the car towed to my house. I recharged the battery and it started working good again as if nothing happened. I had the battery and alternator checked and they said everything is okay. Now, I am having problems of battery draining specially when it is raining. I had the battery and alternator rechecked and they are still good.
What do you think is wrong with it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
"the RPM gauge did not go up"

It's called the tachometer, or just Tach. But more importantly, what you're trying to say is the engine started and stayed at idle and wouldn't rev higher than idle despite pressing the gas pedal down to rev it up?

There could be several causes for that, but since you've had some several electrical issues, the first suspicion would be electrical supply is behind this.

Do you have the Factory Amplified Stereo system? Or just standard speakers and head unit? I would try to pull the fuses for the amp/stereo and see with that equipment off, does you system work. I think the only way to kill the stereo is to pull the IOD fuse.

Pulling IOD fuses overnight would be a good troubleshooting step as well. IOD stands for Ignition Off Draw, all the equipment that draws power from the battery while the vehicle is off go through those fuses, so if you pull those fuses after you shut down for the night, you remove all drain to the battery.

As well you can start checking draws and troubleshooting with a multi-meter on the electric system.

The notorious corrosion on the Start Motor Terminals that will short the starter motor could be behind this as well. I'd inspect, try to clean those. If the corrosion is shorting the starter motor, usually it will keep the starter motor from working. But, even if the starter is working, I can see it causing a constant drain on the battery and being enough of a current draw/or ground interruption that it would keep the motor from running right. The power supply from the battery to the Starter motor is a solid cable, it is always live with batter power, the switch to turn the starter on/off is inside the starter motor and controlled by other wires to the starter.

Check O2 sensors and the wires running to them, its common for wires to the O2 sensors to get burned on the exhaust and short out, sometimes intermittently. The short in the O2 sensor will shutdown the PCM or wreak havoc with its operation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Mongo;361433]"the RPM gauge did not go up"

It's called the tachometer, or just Tach. But more importantly, what you're trying to say is the engine started and stayed at idle and wouldn't rev higher than idle despite pressing the gas pedal down to rev it up?

Thank you for the quick response Mongo! The engine will turn on for less than 5 seconds then dies and the tachometer never goes up (even with the engine running). I have the stock stereo and stock speakers without the amplifier.
I will try all the other stuff that you suggested then I will post it back. Thank you!

Rocky Road lift and super sliders, 4x Guard, Mopar skid plates, 255 75 17 BFG mud terrain (for fun), K&N air filter, 22 inch wheels (city wheels) chrome gas lid cover/handles, 4X Guard HC. Next mod... flaspaq, roof rack (depends if the XK will fit in the garage).. This JEEP thing is addicting...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Do you mean the tach is dead, it stays at zero the whole time? Or do you mean the engine only gets to idle and can't go any faster and dies soon after.

A bad fuel pump will do this, just barely enough fuel pressure to get the motor to idle for a few seconds, then it dies. Try to increase power/rpm and there is NOT enough fuel to do it. BUT, its hard to imagine a bad fuel pump could cause the other electrical problems.

If gauges and/or tach is totally dead after you got the motor to idle, I'd suspect its electrical, the engine needs electrical power to stay running, even with a good battery and alternator, a bad short could drag down the voltage and electrical power enough that the motor barely runs. If you had a short that bad, you should be seeing smoke from the heat of the short.

Like I said before, Commanders often have the terminals on the starter motor suffer corrosion and the corrosion causes the starter NOT to work, often shorting it. You short the cable from the battery to the starter, no fuse will blow, because there are non for that cable, and its a path for a ton of battery power to just short to ground, making it go dead and cause problems starting and running the motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Mongo;361553]Do you mean the tach is dead, it stays at zero the whole time? Or do you mean the engine only gets to idle and can't go any faster and dies soon after.

The tach remains dead, even when i pressed on the gas, the tach never went up and the engine stalled. I need to check all the things that you are telling me to do. I am working 3 (12 hours) night shift in a row, 1 day off and then 3 night in a row again. I will do all this on my day off, i have other vehicles that i can use if the jeep will act up again. So far it has been running strong.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Points: 5,042, Level: 45 Points: 5,042, Level: 45 Points: 5,042, Level: 45
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
So what happened ??

08, Commander, Overland, 5.7L HEMI, QD-II, Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in