Originally Posted by CommanderDrako
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the HEMI engine. About a month ago the radio started to act up; there was no sound coming out but the radio was on, all the controls on the radio was working but no sound. Radio started working fine after I went to the store. Later that day it rained hard and the car was in the parking lot. When we boarded the Jeep, I started it and the engine started but died after <5 sec and the RPM gauge did not go up and the all the lights in the dash was like flickering. I checked all the fuses and nothing was blown. I tried to start the car multiple times and it wouldn't stay running. I started the car using the remote start and stayed running but the RPM gauge never went up. I turned it off and try to start it again using the key but it wouldn't start. I had the car towed to my house. I recharged the battery and it started working good again as if nothing happened. I had the battery and alternator checked and they said everything is okay. Now, I am having problems of battery draining specially when it is raining. I had the battery and alternator rechecked and they are still good.
What do you think is wrong with it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
"the RPM gauge did not go up"
It's called the tachometer, or just Tach. But more importantly, what you're trying to say is the engine started and stayed at idle and wouldn't rev higher than idle despite pressing the gas pedal down to rev it up?
There could be several causes for that, but since you've had some several electrical issues, the first suspicion would be electrical supply is behind this.
Do you have the Factory Amplified Stereo system? Or just standard speakers and head unit? I would try to pull the fuses for the amp/stereo and see with that equipment off, does you system work. I think the only way to kill the stereo is to pull the IOD fuse.
Pulling IOD fuses overnight would be a good troubleshooting step as well.
IOD stands for Ignition Off Draw, all the equipment that draws power from the battery while the vehicle is off go through those fuses, so if you pull those fuses after you shut down for the night, you remove all drain to the battery.
As well you can start checking draws and troubleshooting with a multi-meter on the electric system.
The notorious corrosion on the Start Motor Terminals that will short the starter motor could be behind this as well.
I'd inspect, try to clean those. If the corrosion is shorting the starter motor, usually it will keep the starter motor from working. But, even if the starter is working, I can see it causing a constant drain on the battery and being enough of a current draw/or ground interruption that it would keep the motor from running right. The power supply from the battery to the Starter motor is a solid cable, it is always live with batter power, the switch to turn the starter on/off is inside the starter motor and controlled by other wires to the starter.
Check O2 sensors and the wires running to them, its common for wires to the O2 sensors to get burned on the exhaust and short out, sometimes intermittently.
The short in the O2 sensor will shutdown the PCM or wreak havoc with its operation.