The sound is like someone hits the bottom of the truck - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7,199, Level: 56 Points: 7,199, Level: 56 Points: 7,199, Level: 56
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
The sound is like someone hits the bottom of the truck

When in the morning I start driving backward I can hear very scary sounds like someone hits the bottom with a 5-pound hammer.

What else I've noted:
1. If I move straight back I won't hear the hits with a very high probability
2. But if I turn the wheels - -even a bit - I'll always hear the sound.
3. I've never hear the noise while driving forward.
4. If I drove far enough I can bravely drive back - there will be no such the noise.

Did anyone know what is the origin of the sounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

What year, engine, 4wd drive system and how many miles do you have?

What you're describing is a "Clunk", I'd suspect from the drivetrain.

The front differential is mounted by 3 rubber mounts, that are known to wear out and allow clunks. Of course if your Commander is RWD only, you won't have this equipment.

When was the last time you changed axle and XFR case fluids?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2008, CRD, QDII. 81K.

Let me clarify the "clunk" word. It is "clunking" when rubber parts that should prevent metal parts from contacting each over are getting worn and one metal part starts beating the other one (on the road humps etc). Am I right? If yes, the sound that I can feel (not only hear) definitely is not the clunk.
It rather reminds me a great supporting bearing (like in McPherson suspension) that is full of sand, attached to the huge spring and what I am, nevertheless, trying to turn.

I have changed the axle fluid less than a year ago (< 10K), the transfer case's fluid was changed a week ago, the gearbox' fluid was changed a couple of months ago.

P.S. The front pads are pretty worn.

Last edited by AByrvalg; 05-10-2015 at 04:33 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AByrvalg View Post
2008, CRD, QDII. 81K.

Let me clarify the "clunk" word. It is "clunking" when rubber parts that should prevent metal parts from contacting each over are getting worn and one metal part starts beating the other one (on the road humps etc). Am I right? If yes, the sound that I can feel (not only hear) definitely is not the clunk.
It rather reminds me a great supporting bearing (like in McPherson suspension) that is full of sand, attached to the huge spring and what I am, nevertheless, trying to turn.

I have changed the axle fluid less than a year ago (< 10K), the transfer case's fluid was changed a week ago, the gearbox' fluid was changed a couple of months ago.

P.S. The front pads are pretty worn.
The QDII has LSD's and if the axle fluid wears out or they didn't use the correct or correct amount of friction modifier to allow the clutch plates to slip well enough, you get noise and binding in low speed turns. Check your O.M., I think the severe schedule (maybe the normal for QDII) is every 15k miles. If the correct additive wasn't used that might be the problem or maybe the fluid was contaminated?

When you turn at low speeds, there is a lot of torque in the driveshafts and wheels moving at very different speeds, differentials turning, etc, compared to just backing up straight; so if there is any lash/free play in the driveshafts or the mounts for differentials,

A clunk, is a clunk, it's a noise of something impacting something else, doesn't have to be metal on metal, it just has to be hard enough to make a loud impact noise. Worn out mounts are often metal on rubber, there is just enough movement with momentum behind it, it sounds like a hammer banging on the floor.

What you're describing sounds like the steering bearing plate in the macpherson strut, and that would make a grind noise, NOT a clunk, unless you're talking bearings so worn out they seize and clunk. Do you have a grinding noise?

I thought of one else, the Sway Bar bushings, it could clunk turning as you back out of the driveway, but it would also clunk when driving normally, something you haven't said is a symptom.

The sway bar twists as the body leans, thus making a spring force to resist the twist. That will push up and down on the bushings that mount it, and up/down pressure reverses as you turn the opposite direction. The sway bar bushings can wear, the hole the bar goes through elongates and lets the bar move up and down some. So when you reverse forces on the bar, it quickly is bounced from one end of the elongated hole to the other and makes a clunk when it hits the opposite side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for such the detailed response. I am happy we both understand the same words in the same way. No, the mounts aren't clunking. Everything is quiet, all the bushings are almost new (I replaced them ~8K ago or so).

The fluids are ok, I know it for sure. I have replaced all the bearings/seals etc last autumn.

And I checked all the bolts of the suspension just a week ago. Tightened them up to the spec's requirements.

Frankly, I just can't imagine what else can it be. Bad gear backlash value would destroy the differential during this week (I took a long ride that was almost 2.5K miles), but it works well and silently all the time. Worn mounts would noise every time I give them extra moment of flexion, but they are silent even on the humps. Worn cv-joints? Don't know... I never replaced them but the boots are ok and they produce no sounds during sharp turns. Lower arms are all new, rod ends too, upper arms are functional and tight.

I remember that the first time I've heard the sound was when I replaced front shocks. It was a couple of years ago. Though, I don't know what relation it has to the issue. I can't find the source of the noise and it literally kills me. I spend more and more time under the car instead of driving it.

Last edited by AByrvalg; 05-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Is your exhaust flexing and hitting the floor board? Worn or broken engine/trans mounts? In reverse the torque will flex in a different direction than in forward.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
Is your exhaust flexing and hitting the floor board? Worn or broken engine/trans mounts? In reverse the torque will flex in a different direction than in forward.
No. Everything (except for the fuel tank which is corroded and fixed by the Arbo Steel) is in very good condition.

The only thing I didn't check yet is the steering gear mounts. Maybe bolts loosen?... It would explain everything. Will check it and write here.

Last edited by AByrvalg; 05-11-2015 at 02:39 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Have you checked the top transfer case bushing? That causes clunking noises commonly on these vehicles, and cannot be checked with the xfer case installed AFAIK.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Have you checked the top transfer case bushing? That causes clunking noises commonly on these vehicles, and cannot be checked with the xfer case installed AFAIK.
Frankly this is the very first time when I hear that the transfer case has any bushings. Isn't it hardly bolted to the gearbox what is being supported by rubber pillows?

Could you please show me the bushings at the picture attached?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unbekannter.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	15802  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AByrvalg View Post
Frankly this is the very first time when I hear that the transfer case has any bushings. Isn't it hardly bolted to the gearbox what is being supported by rubber pillows?

Could you please show me the bushings at the picture attached?
Whoops, I meant to say front differential. My apologies for the confusion.

See this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...ement-1299567/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in