Does check engine light come on when service is due? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Does check engine light come on when service is due?

Having just bought my Commander 3 months ago, I noticed the check engine light came on for the very first time yesterday, while driving. My next service due... such as an oil change is due in 488 miles and I was wondering if the computer is set to simply trigger the light to come on, when a service is soon due?

I wish I would have been staring at my dash when it came on...like if it comes on when it shows under 500 miles or something. Nothing seems to be acting up (although in 488 miles the odometer will hit 100,000 miles and sure my plugs are overdue), so I'm hoping its supposed to do that.

My wife's vehicle has a oil life percentage indicator that comes when an oil change is due soon... so I wondered if this was similar or if its supposed to kick on when its close to 100k for a specific service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Points: 15,841, Level: 80 Points: 15,841, Level: 80 Points: 15,841, Level: 80
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
No. The check engine on my 4.7 06 XK does not indicate service due, I get a message saying oil change due or something close. You can do the key dance (turn your key on and off 3 times without starting the car and look for codes. If there are none and the light is out, I wouldn't worry about it. The light can be activated by some thing as simple as a loose gas cap.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

What year, engine and 4WD system do you have?

The Check Engine Light (CEL) means there is a problem that was detected and needs to be corrected.

Creek already talked about the Engine Oil Change Required Message that will pop up in the EVIC on the Dash, it does NOT lite the CEL. Earlier Commanders, I believe it just counts down the miles between oil changes, later Commanders the PCM actually runs an algorithm to judge oil life based on the engine usage and conditions. There is no percentage indicator, you simply get the warning pop when its time to change the oil. You can reset it yourself easily if you change your own oil.

Already mentioned is the Key Dance to get the PCM to spit out stored fault codes, and likely the fault codes are the source of the CEL. The key dance does NOT spit out every code and especially very few or none of the codes for the other electronic systems. The manufacturers keep that proprietary to force you into the dealerships to pay for overpriced diagnostics and service, instead of making it easy for you to read the codes yourself.

If you're overdue for new plugs, you might be getting misfire codes, the PCM will detect before you can. Fresh plugs will regain some lost power and fuel economy and smoother idle and engine running as well, if the exiting plugs are burned away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

My Jeeps a 2007 with the Hemi. I'll see if I can pull up some codes up real quick and go from there.

Plug wise, it wont surprise me if they are shot. I was planning to do it myself sometime this month. I'm sure the plugs are long overdue. I've put about 3k on it since I picked it up and I was just getting ready to address plugs and fluid changes.
--------------------
Update: I just did the code check via the key dance and it shows code # P0302. I searched the threads and according to what I found, I'm getting a misfire in cylinder #2. Now that I think about it there was one point where it felt like a stumble for a few seconds on a long hill, just once yesterday but then it went away.

I was planning on swapping plugs this month since my 07 Hemi has less then 500 miles till hitting 100k on the odometer. I'm guessing the plugs are long overdue, so hopefully worn out plugs are the only cause.

Last edited by BBCBIRD; 05-19-2015 at 03:11 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:19 PM

If the misfires the PCM senses are bad enough, the PCM will shut down the fuel injector for that cylinder for a little while, to prevent raw fuel from be dumped into the catalytic converter and damaging it. That will make the slight misfire that is barely noticeable become very noticeable and it will feel like a stumble.

BUT, it can be nothing more than worn out plugs causing some misfires under certain conditions.

Yes, there is a thread for dropped valve seats, you'd notice more problems than this if that was the case. At this point, I would make the assumption worn out spark plugs are the root of your check engine light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
If the misfires the PCM senses are bad enough, the PCM will shut down the fuel injector for that cylinder for a little while, to prevent raw fuel from be dumped into the catalytic converter and damaging it. That will make the slight misfire that is barely noticeable become very noticeable and it will feel like a stumble.

BUT, it can be nothing more than worn out plugs causing some misfires under certain conditions.

Yes, there is a thread for dropped valve seats, you'd notice more problems than this if that was the case. At this point, I would make the assumption worn out spark plugs are the root of your check engine light.
Agreed
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm also pretty confident its a matter of a plug(s) that are long past needing replacement. Interestingly enough, the engine lamp was on today this morning but then after fueling the gas tank and restarting the engine, the indicators no longer illuminated.

I wont be surprised if it comes back on. I'll just have to take note of what the engines feeling like, if it comes back on. I made an appointment at the dealership to replace the plugs next week.

I'd normally just do it myself and it kills me to spend the money, but I guess this time I'll have to eat the $305 plus tax. I'm wondering if I should/can just clear the code out before I take it into the dealership. I'm sure they would try to charge me for looking at and clearing the stored P0302 code.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Points: 1,559, Level: 22 Points: 1,559, Level: 22 Points: 1,559, Level: 22
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%

If the check engine light turns on, surely there is a problem in the engine system. You will need to have it diagnose to know the error code.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking it was just a matter of very badly worn spark plugs. I swapped my plugs out a few days ago and since then I haven't had any more problems, nor does the engine light come on any more. My plugs were eroded down about 40% and the positive post on each of them was rounded off. All the more reason to change them every 30k miles. Overall it was a pretty easy job, just time consuming.

I haven't done it yet...but still have to unhook the battery and clear out the old code.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 02:55 PM

If you do NOT have a check engine light, there is no reason to disconnect the battery and reset the PCM.

Likely the CEL was from misfires because of the eroded plugs. The codes will clear themselves eventually if they haven't already.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in