So I picked up a 2008 Commander Limited with the Hemi last month, and as soon as I got it home off of the trailer I started it up and noticed an exhaust leak. Immediately climbed underneath and found the driver side manifold was leaking. Upon further inspection the next day I found that the lower, rear most stud was broken. I could not believe that I missed this when I initially looked at the vehicle before I purchased it, but it made sense since the leak went away as soon as the engine reached normal operating temperature.
So... I NEVER let anyone work on my vehicles short of paint and body repair, everything else I do myself. But now with kids, 80 hr work week, etc. I farm this repair out. The first two shops didn't want to touch it, said they would have to pull the motor or at least lift it in order to gain access. I told them they were full of it. A friend of mine referred a shop that took it on. I drop the rig off after work, pick it up the next day to the tune of $400 and drive off with no leaks! Hurt, but hey saved me time I didn't have... Wrong.
The next day I had a new leak. I could tell by looking at the manifold to y-pipe connection that it was not reinstalled correctly, but I also notice there was no nut on top of the heat shield where they had just changed to bold out. I started to question whether or not the leak was the manifold flange of header pipe connection. I talked to the shop, they didnt want to correct anything and stated that they didnt check the manifold to see if it is warped, didnt change the gasket, and only changed the stud. I lost it. Who doesnt changed the gasket and check for a warped manifold when chasing an exhaust leak???? I stopped payment through Visa (still dealing with the shop on a refund), and turned around and ordered a new manifold, stainless steal studs, nuts, and a new gasket. I dissasembled the wheel well, pulled 7 studs (1 broke off in 1/8" in the head) then pulled the manifold and blown out gasket. I found that the shop had installed a bolt that was entirely too long, with too short of a grip length. They put a washer and a large nut UNDER the head of the bolt. I was absolutely floored. I have never seen anything like this. Just had to share...
Anyhow I ended up welding a nut to the broken off exhaust stud and backing it out. Coated stainless steel studs and nuts with hi temp copper anti seize and reassembled everything, all is well.
New Magnaflow y pipe and cats arriving today to finish it off.