Driveshaft u-joints? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,694, Level: 53 Points: 6,694, Level: 53 Points: 6,694, Level: 53
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Driveshaft u-joints?

Hey everyone. I just got done replacing the front driveshaft/propeller shaft on my 06 Commander. Found out that you just can't press out the u-joints like normal. The rubber boot at the transfer case was the initial reason to replace it but the ujoint had a "detent" in it as you exercised it. New shaft was $580. Can the ujoints be replaced on the rear driveshaft? Also, the bushing on the top of the front differential needs replaced. Will I need to drop the axle to do that?

Thanks
Paul

PS. To those of you who have replied back to me and others over the years with you knowledge.....Thank You. You have saved me numerous times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The front prop shaft (driveshaft) does NOT appear to be a U-Joint type of prop shaft, it appears to be Constant Velocity type of prop shaft. Like the front prop shafts to each wheel and/or on transaxle (FWD) vehicles. Those types of joints are rebuildable, but if they suffer damage they often have to be replaced. AFA the OEM is concerned, its NOT serviceable, I'm NOT aware of any kits or parts to rebuild the joints.

BTW, all these different types of joints have technical names I forget, but the XK only has one or two of the classic "U-Joint" with newer types at all the other driveshafts.

The rear prop shaft (driveshaft) is NOT serviceable, i.e. it has to be replaced as an entire unit. The front and rear U-Joints are "Staked" into the lugs. The rear driveshaft has a slip yoke in it also, to allow the driveshaft to telescope in and out, instead of using a slip yoke at the transmission/xfr case, that wears also and I'd think the only remedy for that portion being worn out is a new prop shaft.

There are aftermarket solutions that are less expensive than the OEM prop shafts.

There are numerous "How To's" on the internet about removing and replacing Staked-In U-Joints. Since this a DIY, improvised fix, there are chances it won't work right.

Bushing on the front Differential Carrier are replaceable, never done it, the descriptions I've read, if you improvise a bit, you can avoid dropping the whole thing to replace individual bushings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 11-09-2015 at 07:48 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,694, Level: 53 Points: 6,694, Level: 53 Points: 6,694, Level: 53
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Thanks Mongo. That is what I was afraid of.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
driveline , driveshaft , propeller shaft , u-joint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in