Traction control engages - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 134, Level: 2 Points: 134, Level: 2 Points: 134, Level: 2
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Traction control engages

Anyone had the problem of the traction control turning on when there is no reason? My 06/4.7 has recently started to do this, usually on the initial start-up and pulling away from the curb. Instant slow-down that lasts for 50 yards or so. Dry pavement. Once it does it, the traction control will not engage again until I shut the motor off. No codes showing.

Joe R.
SW Washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The traction control warning lamp should blink on the dash if the traction control is actually activating to reduce power. You could have another problem that is causing this and mistaking the traction control as the problem, if the dash doesn't blink while the power is being reduced, I'd suspect its something other than traction control.

Try turning off the traction control before repeating this next time, if that solves the problem, good indicator its the traction control. If it doesn't likely its NOT the traction control, but its still possible. Turning off traction control with the button, only turns off some of the functions, NOT all. Check the owners manual, there is a way to turn off even more traction control functions by pressing and holding the 'off' button while in park with the engine idling.

Doing the key dance or hooking up an inexpensive code reader will only provide you the gov mandated OBDII codes, there are hundreds of other codes NOT mandated by OBDII that you need a Chrysler proprietary and expensive code reader to read those codes. (all the manufacturers do this, to force people back into the Dealerships for diagnostics and repair). In short, unless you had the Dealer or a Shop with a very expensive code reader check for codes, they may be there even though you can't see them. Usually, if you have a problem with the system, a warning light for ABS/BAS or Traction Control will light steady on the dash.

If you have oversized wheels and/or tires, that will mess up the math of the ABS/BAS/Stability Control/Traction Control and cause unexpected reactions. The electronic modules that control this can be programmed with the new tire diameter to correct the math and keep the ABS/BAS/Stability Control/Traction Control working correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%

Please let us know if you figure out whether it's traction control or not. I have an '06 4.7 that has the same random power loss at start up, usually if I shift into gear before giving it a minute or two at idle. It feels almost like the transmission's slipping and I've never noticed any lights with it. I haven't considered a traction control issue before, but I'd be interested if it is. Maybe I could finally fix it.

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7l w/ tow package
Cobra 19 CB, many mods planned

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:39 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
I swear that mine engages while turning hard sometimes. I have 32" tires and a lift however. I cannot find any place that appears to be rubbing. I have adjusted the computer/speedo with my hypertech tuner to expect 32" tires.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

It's the traction control. It flashes when activated, applying the brakes. If I turn off the Traction Control before I pull away, the TC will not activate.

Joe
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Also, the tires are oem size. It is also posting the "Service 4wd" and is going to the dealer to fix (hopefully) It was reprogrammed in 08 according to a sticker I found under the hood. COMPUTERS!!!!

Joe
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:33 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhreiss View Post
Also, the tires are oem size. It is also posting the "Service 4wd" and is going to the dealer to fix (hopefully) It was reprogrammed in 08 according to a sticker I found under the hood. COMPUTERS!!!!

Joe
Does 4LOW work?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
I swear that mine engages while turning hard sometimes. I have 32" tires and a lift however. I cannot find any place that appears to be rubbing. I have adjusted the computer/speedo with my hypertech tuner to expect 32" tires.
The ABS/BAS/Stability Control/Traction Control has a "Roll Mitigation" feature.

If you take a turn to hard, it will activate brakes and change throttle (if drive by wire) to help prevent you from turning over.

I did have it activate brakes when I took a turn way too fast and was close to tipping, or at least lifting a wheel off the road, luckily I had the room to ease out the wheel and go wider in the turn, but I'm sure brakes coming on and some wheels chirping during this fool hardy maneuver was the "Roll Mitigation" feature activating in the stability control.

There are sensor in the vehicle for lateral acceleration and roll of the body.

Bigger wheels and lift kits, even if the diameter is programmed correctly, raises the vehicles CG and changes the suspension reaction, or exaggerate its reaction in the eyes of the sensors, to the lateral and roll forces, and Roll Mitigation might behind the Traction Control coming on in turns for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:26 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The ABS/BAS/Stability Control/Traction Control has a "Roll Mitigation" feature.

If you take a turn to hard, it will activate brakes and change throttle (if drive by wire) to help prevent you from turning over.

I did have it activate brakes when I took a turn way too fast and was close to tipping, or at least lifting a wheel off the road, luckily I had the room to ease out the wheel and go wider in the turn, but I'm sure brakes coming on and some wheels chirping during this fool hardy maneuver was the "Roll Mitigation" feature activating in the stability control.

There are sensor in the vehicle for lateral acceleration and roll of the body.

Bigger wheels and lift kits, even if the diameter is programmed correctly, raises the vehicles CG and changes the suspension reaction, or exaggerate its reaction in the eyes of the sensors, to the lateral and roll forces, and Roll Mitigation might behind the Traction Control coming on in turns for you.
Ah! That would make sense. I get it typically when I am doing a U turn, so it isn't like I'm in any danger of rolling it, but I could see how with the higher CG and stiffer suspension that this might be the case.

Thanks for the insight as always Mongo!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Well... The TC issues went away by themselves. The Service 4WD message still comes on and now the front differential seems to lock up when backing out of the driveway, and turning hard. Once going forward, it acts like an old school 4x4 in 4wd on pavement with the drivetrain winding up. Banging from front differential once or twice (at less than 5 mph) then releasing and it's fine thereafter. Kinda like the clutches are locked in the front axle. The axle's have been serviced w/75-140 synthetic and friction modifier and the trans/transfer case per oem recommendations. Don't know if it's the transfer case, trans, or front diff. Checking for codes. I've never seen the problems like the Commander has on other 4x4's I've owned. (91 Wrangler, 95 Wrangler, 99 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 00 Grand Cherokee, F150 and a F250 - most bought new) I put the reman 4.7 in and it has about 1900 miles on it. It runs fine and break in is about complete. I'll be switching to synthetic oil at about 3k miles. I really like the Commander, but from the(computer related) issues they have, I should have passed it up.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in