Jeep Commander Bad Driveshaft or ? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Commander Bad Driveshaft or ?

Looking at a 2007 Jeep Commander that's equipped with Quadra drive 2, and I test drove it and seriously considing buying it but theres one big issue with it, if you go under 20 MPH you can hear from the back seat area something grinding and spinning and other odd sounds. But once you go past 20 it disappears. It drives fine and shifts good. Only other thing is the brakes make a loud scraping like noise once you completely come to a stop, As if they were wet.
I am unsure about this issues would appreciate any help.

Last edited by Chevyman344; 06-01-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:09 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Commander rear disc brakes typically make squealing noise when they approach the end of their life. Napa sells a damper kit you can bolt on to remedy it. But usually, brake noise is cause by cheap brake pads. Look close at the rotors and pads, see if there is any damage or wear. If there is no damage but the pads look cheap (no shims between caliper and pad, that's likely the whole problem, do NOT buy $20 brake pads). If the rear pads are worn down near the very end of their life, well plenty of folks have cured the brake noise by just swapping in new pads a little early.

Personally, since I do my own brakes, I can swap in new quality brake pads and rotors (if needed) for a lot less than a garage or dealership can do it. So, I wouldn't let some brake noise scare me out of a purchase.

Now the driveshaft and grinding noises? That would scare me. I've seen several posts here about folks needing differentials replaced, that noise could be a bad driveshaft or a differential, possibly even wheel bearings or the transfer case.

The QDII, since it has clutches in the differentials, that require a friction modifier additive when changing the axle fluid and the axle fluid is suppose to be change often. There have been several posts about noise and binding up when making tight turns at low speeds with QDII, and they have reported changing in new axle fluid with the friction modifier fixed it.

The Rear Driveshaft on the Commander is NOT serviceable, it has to be replaced, the entire unit. And Chrysler seems to be going through a replacement parts shortage, so check if they are even available within the next 6 months. But it would be at least $680 just for the part to replace it. The

A new differential cost thousands.

The 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee has the same drivetrain, and many more of those sold than Commanders, many times over, so you could get junkyard parts if you can find them.

I'd insist the seller replace the axle fluid with the proper fluid (synthetic) and the friction modifier additive, and see if that cures the noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 06-02-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, the dealership called today and said they took it in and is looking at it, the guy said they think it's the transfer case but isn't 100%
I am looking at a other commander that has 114K mIles same year but is an limited, the one with grinding issues is 79K miles

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,176, Level: 93 Points: 23,176, Level: 93 Points: 23,176, Level: 93
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
No way I would buy a Commander that had any kind of strange grinding noises going on.

I'd stay clear of that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:58 AM

Well, if the seller would consider reducing the price by the amount of the repair, that is something to consider.

Its still a risk though, a lot of dealerships are incompetent, it is NOT unheard of a dealership looking at a vehicle, shooting from the hip and saying the problem is "X" expensive component that needs replaced, and then after the customer shells out a ton of money to them, it didn't fix the problem, and they say, well it must be this "Y" expensive component.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, after riding right above the transfer case " passager back seat, you can feel it just the clutches and gears messed up. The fact that it shifts good and runs out well really just points to that
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM

?? Are you saying the grinding noise is a simple malfunction in the XFR Case? So its NOT that bad?

I'm NOT a 4WD expert, I just understand it a little more than most. But I'm pretty sure with QDII, normal driving on paved roads, there should NOT be any clutches or shifting happening. Any noise you're getting from XFR case would indicate a serious problem that likely means an onset failure soon. I would look into the cost of replacing the XFR case, if you're going to pay a Dealership, the labor costs would be huge.

Even if its some sort of electronic control malfunction, the noise you describe sounds like its causing damage, that likely will have to be fixed. As well, electronic control of 4wd is an extended function of the electronics, manufacturers keep that diagnostic information proprietary to force back into the Dealerships to pay a premium for crappy service. i.e. you likely won't be able to diagnose this yourself, you have to take it to a dealer or at least a specialty shop that has paid for the extremely expensive tools that paid for the secret info from manufacturers.

A 114k mile vehicle that had all the proper maintenance performed and taken care of would be more reliable than a 79k mile vehicle that was neglected and/or abused. And by neglected, I mean its only had the oil changed in the 79k miles, there is other maintenance that should have been performed. The owner has proven to you that he doesn't investigate and fix problems as they arise, he just lives with them until they become a complete failure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in