dino or syn - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 1,817, Level: 25 Points: 1,817, Level: 25 Points: 1,817, Level: 25
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

dino or syn

i did a search on oil, and didn't see anything about this.
whatis the consensus, on dino or synthetic oils for the 3.7, in the 2006. i just got this one, and am going to change the fluids, as it has almost 160k on it.
i did find the thread on the Wix filters, and will use one of them. i guess the other thing, is the antifreeze.

thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
I've been running full synthetic for 36k miles.

No reason not to IMHO.

Not sure about the WIX filter thread. I've run several other long OCI filters with no problems.

I change my own oil and longer OCI's make synthetic less expensive for me. Plus manufacturers almost always have some sort of MIR promo or something. I triple my Oil change interval (~9k miles) and spend around $20 normally per oil change including filter and oil.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 07-27-2016 at 06:07 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 PM

2WD
Antifreeze: Its important that you get the correct HOAT chrysler antifreeze. None of the universal stuff. Zerex G05 is the correct stuff IIRC.

I'm sure that I am long overdue on the trans and diff fluid change. Gotta get around to that. Would love suggestions if anyone has preferences.
Mongo likes this.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 07-27-2016 at 06:09 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks guys
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 AM
Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
I have the 5.7 hemi but the last oil change I put in Synthetic. At 4,000 miles and about 6 months I decided to change it. It looked awful dark so I changed it - I like clean. So next change I'll go back to dino and 3,000 miles. 7 quarts per change can be expensive with synthetic. I also have installed a Fumoto valve on the oil drain and love it - a lot less messy.
luckyse7ens likes this.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Synthetic is superior to Conventional (Dino) oil.
But today's Conventional oil is darn good as well.

Conventional, changed with a good filter at the proper intervals, should be good enough for most types of driving and conditions.
Synthetic, if you want to go longer between change intervals, all the more important to use a good filter.
Synthetic, if you push your vehicle harder or drive in harsher conditions.

Synthetic will keep the engine cleaner (because it needs less additives that break down quickly to form deposits) and generally less wear. It may be overkill in mild driving and conditions, BUT, if you've got 160k on the motor and are going to drive even longer, then overkill on the wear reduction is likely a good thing.

Filters can be subjective, and people will argue which one is best, it starts to become fan boyish, like Ford vs Chevy. Avoid the Orange Fram filters, they are Junk. WIX is a good brand, and I don't think anyone will say its NOT a good filter, you can't go wrong using that one. BTW, the NAPA Gold (and some of the Silvers) brand filters are just rebranded WIX filters.

Antifreeze is suppose to be changed every 5yrs/100k miles, which ever comes first. The whole reason why we have this fiasco of all different types of incompatible long life antifreeze (while the original green is still the best protecting antifreeze despite if being older) is because owners never changed their antifreeze. So if you aren't going to change antifreeze, well then at least the longer life, lesser protecting antifreeze is better in the long run. Use the recommended HOAT, which the aftermarket equivalent Zerex G-05. Ford and Mercedes of the same years used the exact same antifreeze, so the Zerex G-05 is dyed the Ford Amber color. I guess Ford's using this antifreeze was the most common, that is why they went with the Ford color, it doesn't matter its just dye.

Finally, there are 2 kinds of Synthetic Oil. You can thank Castroil and their deceptive marketing, they won in court and got to call their cheaper oil "Synthetic" while still selling it at Synthetic prices. The media and consumers are too ignorant to know the difference, so the rest of the industry couldn't beat them, so they joined them.

Group II oils are refined and improved crude oil. This is conventional oil.
Group III oils are highly refined and improved crude oil, that also goes through a hydrogenation process that splits hydro-carbon molecules. This is a synthetizing process, that is why the courts agreed they could call it Synthetic.
Group IV oils are synthetized, they start as pure gases that combined in chemical reactions to produce a pure oil with uniform molecules.

Yes, most people are convinced that even Mobil1 has gone to Group III oils in their Synthetic, that only true Group IV synthetic oils you can get are the Exotics, like Royal Purple, AMSOIL, RedLine, etc....

But also don't be fooled by the Grp III originating from crude oil. The extra processes it goes through do make it a superior oil and has many of the benefits of Grp IV oils. If you use Grp III oils, your engine will be cleaner and have less wear than if you used Grp II conventional oils.
luckyse7ens likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
I have the 5.7 hemi but the last oil change I put in Synthetic. At 4,000 miles and about 6 months I decided to change it. It looked awful dark so I changed it - I like clean. So next change I'll go back to dino and 3,000 miles. 7 quarts per change can be expensive with synthetic. I also have installed a Fumoto valve on the oil drain and love it - a lot less messy.
what filter were you running?

Generally the synthetics have higher concentrations of detergents, it may have just knocked loose more deposits than normal. Pennzoil for one is particularly high concentrations of detergents IIRC. I run that usually.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
There are actually 5 groups of oil.

A Group V oil is a Polyolester synthetic - there may be only a couple of Polyolester based oils out there available, I know that Redline oils are polyolester based.

Most high end synthetics are a group IV (pao) synthetic base such as Amzoil though many Amzoil synthetics are no longer Group IV and are made from Group III or a blend of III and IV. Amzoil will not publish what group their oils are formulated from.

Here is a good article with definitions of synthetic types:

Understanding the Differences in Base Oil Groups

As to filters I think the Purolator BOSS filters are as good or better than any other filter available.

Last edited by bdalameda; 07-28-2016 at 09:06 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks for all the things to think about...appreciate it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

4WD
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
what filter were you running?.
I think it was a Purolator synthetic filter. You may be right about the detergent and knocking the dirt loose. It was Mobile 1. Well when I changed it I put Mobil 1 in it again. Will see what happens now. I was going to switch after this change as I didn't see how black it was until I had already bought the Mobil1 this time. 68,000 miles. Back in the 1960s I had a 350 Chevy and switched to Royal Triton Purple which was a high detergent oil, Proceeded to make a trip from Chicago to NY and in Indiana was getting a cloud of smoke out the exhaust. Broken rings. The super mechanic I went to said the high detergent oil freed up junk on the rings and they started flexing as never before and broke. Since then I never switched oil brands - till now. I just may go back to Quaker State which I have used in all 12 of my cars without any problems. Is mobile 1 a high detergent? I looked but could not see that on the bottle. If it is I never would have switched. Not a big worry as I have a lifetime on the power train
luckyse7ens likes this.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in