Bad Rear Hub / Bearing Assembly? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Bad Rear Hub / Bearing Assembly?

I admit I'm kinda bad about coming here only when I need help, but am hoping someone will have mercy and confirm my problem.

I'm pretty sure my DS rear floating hub assembly has a bad bearing. There is a grinding sound coming from that area on right hand turns and grease on all the emergency/parking brake components. The shoes have a nice slippery thin grease film on them. It doesn't smell like gear oil, so I don't think it's a axle bearing o-ring seal leak.

I've done a little research and it seems like the hub assembly is a pretty easy swap, so I'm about to order parts. I rebuilt the entire front end last year. Did the rear brakes back in 2010 and haven't touched them since. 150k on the clock, so it's not unexpected.

What do y'all think about my diagnosis? The only other fluid it could be is gear oil, and like I said I'm 100% sure it is not that (any gear head knows about its distinct smell). Plus the grinding... seems like a no brainer?

Here are some pics:

P.S. finally got my lambda sensors installed (after welding bungs in the exhaust years ago..), so I'll be tuning soon.

Thanks guys, Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:05 AM
Points: 8,276, Level: 61 Points: 8,276, Level: 61 Points: 8,276, Level: 61
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Send a message via AIM to bp73
i'd say you're spot-on. i replaced my rear-right last month and front-driver a month before that (snapped lug bolts). having done your fronts you know the only thing keeping this from being a 20 min job is the corrosion so i'd recommend replacing the wheel speed sensor while you're down there 'cause it'll probably be easier smash it out.

On my second '06 Commander - first was a Dark Khaki 4.7, I'm now in a Black 5.7 w/ RC 2", 1.25" Spacers, Custom Spectre 4" Intake w/K&N cone filter, NGK G-Power Platinum plugs, Superchips (91+ Tune), 245/70/17 Kenda Klever MT's,
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp73 View Post
i'd say you're spot-on. i replaced my rear-right last month and front-driver a month before that (snapped lug bolts). having done your fronts you know the only thing keeping this from being a 20 min job is the corrosion so i'd recommend replacing the wheel speed sensor while you're down there 'cause it'll probably be easier smash it out.
Thanks bp73 that's good advice. I didn't think about ordering the WSS.

Speaking of corrosion, I watched a video on the job, and they ended up having to remove the parking brake assembly in order to pull the entire axle assembly out. This was done to separate the hub assembly from the backing plate. Is this how you had to do it, as well?

The front overhaul was crazy. The bearings weren't too horrible, but I ended up using a cutoff wheel to cut the bolt off the lower a-arm where the clevis fork attaches. Being in a salt climate, that bolt rust welded itself to the sleeve, there was just no way it was coming out. Typical scenario from what I could gather at the time.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 AM

4WD
yes you'll have to pull the PB assembly - i actually ended up replacing the PB shoes and hardware at the same time (cheap parts). mine were maybe a bit worse off than yours - by the time i got the hub assy loosened up i had no patience for the brake components and they were removed with xtreme prejudice (i anticipated this and had the replacement stuff on hand, as you are doing). it will be nothing like the fronts getting them separated and off (don't have all the suspension components). spray with pb blaster and let soak a few. use a 3pound sledge and a steel chisel, working around the perimeter a few times, repeat...i use three different sizes of chisels, one small enough to fit through the holes and strike from behind.
another thing i need to point out - i was so excited to get the new hub on i skipped right over the step of installing the new 0-ring seal that comes with the hub kit. i saw it sitting on the floor and thought it was the "optional" o-ring that holds the disc in place when installing the brakes. the original o-ring from the hub had disintegrated. needless to say, removing the hub the 2nd time to install it was quite easy!

On my second '06 Commander - first was a Dark Khaki 4.7, I'm now in a Black 5.7 w/ RC 2", 1.25" Spacers, Custom Spectre 4" Intake w/K&N cone filter, NGK G-Power Platinum plugs, Superchips (91+ Tune), 245/70/17 Kenda Klever MT's,

Last edited by bp73; 08-14-2016 at 12:38 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Got one side apart. 1) you absolutely should just plan on destroying the WSS to get it out 2) it's much easier to remove and replace the parking brake components as you suggested. Other than that it wasn't bad. The 4 nuts holding the assembly to the axle tube flange were easy to unscrew, and the axle itself slides out of both splined ends very easily. It did on mine, anyway.

On to the PS. Even if it looks ok, it's getting a new hub/bearing assembly and a PB & WSS refresh, while I'm at it.

For those wondering, each side is taking me a couple hours, taking my time. A lot of the time on the DS side was spent on the stupid WSS. It's a tight fit, and the hole gets corroded.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Ok, got everything buttoned up. I performed the parking shoe adjustments, but the parking brake lever is not engaging the brakes. I had to pull out the PS one a bit to create enough slack to get it hooked back onto the parking brake mechanism that pushes the shoes outward (name escapes me right now). In doing that, I am thinking I threw something out of whack at the lever. It is supposed to be self adjusting from what I gather in the shop manual, however the PB adjustment procedure calls for loosening the front cable adjustment nut which is not identified clearly.

Can anyone guide me here? Will it self adjust with time? Right now its not engaging either shoe on either side at all. I set the star wheel adjuster until the rotors would not turn, and them backed them off maybe 1/8 of a turn of the star wheel, so I know those are spot on.

Last edited by dmoser; 08-24-2016 at 02:26 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 PM

4WD
fun times! glad you got it worked out. about the brakes...90% certain your issue is up in the center console. my e-brakes didn't work BEFORE i did the job due the large amount of slack. i'd anticipated addressing that issue at the same time until i realized all the crap i had to disassemble - dvd media center, ac vents, then the console. if you don't have the "service manual" i can upload the pages w/the procedure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf e-brake_excerpt.pdf (1.11 MB, 49 views)

Last edited by bp73; 08-24-2016 at 06:05 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I don't want to take it all apart unless I know for sure I have to. I do not believe the cable snapped, so does anyone know these adjusters well and will this thing self adjust eventually ? And is there a way to get the cable tension back to its original state before I pulled it out. I'm not really sure what pulling one side out a bit does, I know there is an equilizer unit where the two sides come together before t'ing together into one line that goes to the lever/auto tension mechanism. I found this, but it doesn't really help: OEM Parking Brake Lever Study - JeepForum.com I think ours are basically the same..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

4WD
bp73, look what I found after removing half the interior. Sure enough, the cables popped out when pulling out the one side at the wheel too far.

And now it looks like this

Man, that back seat is heavy.

Project done. Thanks for the posts/help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 06:08 PM

4WD
Awesome! With your confirmation I now have plans for vehicular labor on Labor Day...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in