Replaced a/c compressor - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Replaced a/c compressor

So I have 126,000 miles on my commander and it started having some A/C problems about 1 year ago. It started with a little chirp in what I thought was the compressor clutch/Pulley bearing and has progressed into a constant squeal while the compressor was engaged with the clutch freezing up and the pulley spinning. I was able to spin the clutch without ac being engaged but once the clutch did its thing and locked up, I couldn?t spin it by hand anymore. I hooked the manifold gauges to it and the high side seemed a little high (300) for the ambient temp but nothing to concerning. I decided to replace the clutch but finding one was becoming a problem and expensive. I figured if I was going to spend that much money ($290) for a clutch and pulley, I might as well replace the whole thing so I bought a new compressor and belt and it installed it with 7.4oz PAG46. I started to fill it with R134a and about 1 can into it, the compressor clutch did the same thing, squeals and then locked up. So I figure the Tensioner isn?t tight enough under that load. Replaced it and still the same thing. Now I have a new expansion valve, Drier/Accumulator and Condenser ordered and will be replacing all those in the next few days. This is getting expensive!!
Any other Ideas before I finish replacing the front end of the motor. I'm about $600 into this and I would like to find a solution soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Update

So here is a little more information now.

I have replaced the drier/accumulator, the expansion valve and the compressor now. I have flushed the entire system out. I held a vacuum of -30 for 3 hours and then continued to vacuum the system for 3 more hours. I started to recharge the system and it started to do the same thing again. This time I was watching the gauges and I noticed the when the high side pressure got to 150psi the compressor clutch started to make a chirping noise and then once it hit 170psi the clutch would seize up until the fan turned on at about 175-180 psi and the high side pressure would start to drop. Once it got below 170psi the clutch would free up and start to work again. The fan kicked off around 120-130 and once the pressure raised up again it would do the whole cycle again. Im wondering if the A/C transducer pressure switch is bad?

The field manual says the pressure for the outside temperature is supposed to be from 170-250. Why does it stop once the fan kicks on? The low side pressure never gets above 40 so this is normal. Any ideas or thoughts?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 207767
If you did not replace the condenser at the same time, you likely have some debris from the original compressor escaping and destroying the new compressor. From what I was told, our systems do not flush reliably and the condenser must be changed.

I had an issue where my compressor went bad, so I changed the compressor, expansion valve, and dryer. Three weeks later, the new compressor started making a high pitched wine and there was no more cold air. The next time I was told that I need to replace the condenser, dryer, and compressor - it has been three months and everything has been working well now.

Essentially, add the compressor to the list of what you have ordered and go for it. Try 1-800-RADIATOR, because they can put a kit of all of it together for you. I was able to use a friend's account and only paid $530 for everything.

NOTE: Replace the oil in the compressor to make sure it is clean.

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 3.7L V6

Upgrades: K&N Filter, DRL's, Rear Handles, Curt Hitch, Steel Suspension Skid Plate, Fogs, Secure Console Cover, Bilstein 4600 Shocks (F/R), Moog Front/Rear Swaybar Links, Moog Front Swaybar Bushings, Moog Front Lower Control Arms, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Ignition Mod

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I have the condenser but did not have the special tool to remove the lines from it so I tried to just flush the old one and see what happened. I guess I am going to have to get the tool anyways now. One other thing I was reading in the field service manual was that when the A/C button is activated then the fan should come on immediately at idle speed where as mine is only coming on when the pressure gets to certain point. What do you think about the fan relay being bad then? Once the fan kicks in then everything seems to be fine and when I am driving down the road everything seems to be fine.

Maybe I should just replace both and call it a day!!

Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in