ESM Problem? A bunch of symptoms, hesittation, banging tranny tunnel - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ESM Problem? A bunch of symptoms, hesittation, banging tranny tunnel

Hi everyone, I've been having so many issues with my commander ever since I purchased it used and I would love to finally get it running right to enjoy it properly. It's a 2006 2wd v6 3.7 automatic.

It shifts pretty hard going into third gear, and when i'm cruising at around 40 mph, i get hesitation, as if the transmission is about to change gears but it doesn't know which gear to go into. If i press on the throttle more, it will get out that mode and run fine. I'm absolutely positive the tranny is not slipping, so i'm thinking it's still good and something electronic is failing. Also, idk if this would be a completely different issue or if they're related, but when I go over hard potholes or train tracks, something will start banging on my transmission tunnel. I've checked under it and there isn't signs of something hitting, so I'm assuming it's something inside the tranny. What i do when this happens is I put it in reverse for a quick second, go back to drive and the noise goes away.

The first thing that came to mind was the throttle position sensor, since the hesitation occurs more at a specific position of the throttle, so I replaced that and it ran the same. Now, i've been looking into the electronic shift module, but i've read that when that goes bad, your cluster will make a square around P R N D and mine doesn't do that, but it does say to service park assist. I've already cleaned the contacts inside the ESM as suggested in another thread, and yes the contacts were really black with graphite, but when I put it back on, it ran the same.

I'm really out of options here and have no idea where to look at next. There is a local that is selling a used ESM for $60, but i wouldn't want to keep throwing money at this thing without being sure.

Any suggestions or if you need more info please don't hesitate. I'm open to any suggestion.

BTW, a week ago it did the banging noise and I managed to record it. I'll try to upload it asap.

*** I recently bought an 08 charger. Is this shifter interchangeable with the commander's? I would love to swap it over just to test it out and see whether that is my commander's issue. The commander only has PRND, and the charger has PRND3L i believe. Will this cause an issue?

Last edited by relic; 10-10-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in