Rear window latch fail - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,234, Level: 28 Points: 2,234, Level: 28 Points: 2,234, Level: 28
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 123000
Rear window latch fail

I'm still going through new commander orientation, and discovering all the thing being hidden by the previous owner...

Yesterday I used the remote to pop open the back window hatch. It worked but now won't latch closed?
It is reaching the rear limit, not getting stuck on the clasp, and cycling the latch mechanism, but will not engage and grab onto the window loop.
I've tried holding it closed and actuating the release as well as locking and unlocking the doors while holding the window closed to no avail.
I searched around a good bit last nite but don't see anything on the web except failure to open problems...
Anyone with experience, or know of a thread that deals with this? As far as I can tell the release solenoid /actuator works great, and I'd hate to buy a new latch asst when it must be something simple like a return spring or detent pin, or notch.
I usually grab a chiltons repair manual, but haven't gotten around to it yet, and not likely that it would go in depth enough to troubleshoot this anyway.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,403, Level: 94 Points: 23,403, Level: 94 Points: 23,403, Level: 94
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
This should help;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...release-2.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks ,
I went through that one, it deals with the opposite problem of not opening.

I did manage to get it latched but will have to dig in a little deeper when it warms up.
Basically I got a small pick and started moving the forward part of the catch while the window was being pushed from the outside. Not sure 100% why that did it, but my guess is there must be a broken spring . Now I think i need an exploded diagram to figure out what I'm missing.

I'll put pics up when I get something solid.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,403, Level: 94 Points: 23,403, Level: 94 Points: 23,403, Level: 94
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
Thanks ,
I went through that one, it deals with the opposite problem of not opening.

I did manage to get it latched but will have to dig in a little deeper when it warms up.
Basically I got a small pick and started moving the forward part of the catch while the window was being pushed from the outside. Not sure 100% why that did it, but my guess is there must be a broken spring . Now I think i need an exploded diagram to figure out what I'm missing.

I'll put pics up when I get something solid.
I found this info on an Edmunds Jeep Liberty Forum - this was pertaining to a 2006 Jeep Liberty - but the info may still be applicable to your situation:

Quote:
Now I am having the problem this time with just the glass not wanting to latch back down (no surprise automatically opening - just wont latch) What I have to do to make it be able to latch back down is to use the back window hatch button on the jeep key fob and this will trigger it to flip into the open position so that you can relatch it back down. I have yet to call my dealer to see if it is still covered from the last time they replaced the defective part.

Found my paperwork - 2-1-05 said removed rear gate handle and found switch corroded. Replaced handle assembly with new switch.

This was for the hatch not shutting. 4-28-05 Checked and found wiring connector at release motor had loose terminals. Secured terminals.

I am having this problem again, guess I should have someone check the terminals again!

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-18-2017 at 07:24 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

4WD
After a quick trip and conversation with the dealer I got the options sheet printed, and a TSB stating to loosen the bolts and adjust latch point rearward , which seems to be staying shut so far.
He also recommended to add a catch can asap. He has a WK Hemi and showed me his can after 3 months had about 3 oz of oil .

So since I was planning to add one anyway, I grabbed a cheapo off eBay, and just finished the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in