The wonders of a clay bar! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,799, Level: 24 Points: 1,799, Level: 24 Points: 1,799, Level: 24
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The wonders of a clay bar!

I know the clay bar discussion has gone on in here in the past. I had never used one, nor had any faith in them. I waxed my 07 Silver Commander about a month ago. In the past couple weeks sometime, I got something All over the front of it. It looked like I drove through a cloud of some kind of overspray. It wasn't real visible, but you could really feel it. The wipers sounded like they were rubbing on sandpaper. The front bumber, grill, headlights, parking lights, front edge of the hood, and front edges of the fenders had it all over it. I tried lacquer thinner on the windshield, and it didn't even begin to touch it. When u washed the windshield, it would literally tear lint pieces off the paper towel and leave them on the glass. I ended up carefully razor blading the windshield, and got it off. I tried everything I could think of on the bumper, from cleaners, to waxes, even polishing compound. Nothing would take it off. I had minor success with the polishing compound. However, you had to polish a 3 inch area for about 10 min and only got about half of it off. I was afraid of taking the paint off with it. So, at wits end, and out of desperation, off I went to the Wal Mart. I bought the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. I think it was around $17.00. I figured it was just the next addition to my snake oil collection. I tried it today. It took EVERY BIT of whatever was on the Commander off!!!! I used it on the chrome grill, headlights, the whole front, and it worked incredible! Before it felt like sandpaper. After I sprayed the lubricator in the kit (which is a bottle of Meguiar's Quick Detail), I rubbed the clay bar across the surface. Within a few swipes, POOF, smooth as glass! I could not believe it. Then you just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth that comes in the kit. Next step is a good wax job again. I really thought thay whatever it was, was going to be on there the rest of the time I owned it. So, I just had to write a post and let you guys that had never tried the stuff know that it does actually work. And, I am not easily impressed. I now swear by this stuff! Hopefully this will help someone else if they ever get the "mystery grit" all over their pride and joy.

2007 Silver Commander Sport 4.7 V8

2006 Midnight Blue Metallic Commander Limited 4.7 V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Points: 1,548, Level: 22 Points: 1,548, Level: 22 Points: 1,548, Level: 22
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

I agree that stuff really is magic, plus you should have enough clay bar left over for another application in the future. Only thing is, while it did a great job of removing your "mystery grit" it also removed your wax. Be sure to apply a new coat as soon as you can.

Silver '06 Commander 4.7 V8
Black '95 YJ 4 banger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

The Mothers Clay bar kit is awesome stuff that's for sure. When I bought the Magnum I drove it straight to the tint shop, and then straight to my garage for a good wash/clay/wax. That's right folks, even on a brand new car it makes a huge difference.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Alot of professional detailers use the clay bar as a first step. We use it a my shop and have had excellent results. I really like the Meguiars products. Also we use 000 steel wool for overspray on glass-43

2007 Commander Sport, Lt Graystone Pearlcoat
1999 Ford Crown Vic Interceptor,black
1999 Buick Regal LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in