It pays to call around! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

It pays to call around!

I figured for once, being as my Jeep is almost ready for it's first oil change with me (bought it about 2 months ago, maintenance minder at 500 miles to go, that I would call around and get dealer prices on an oil change.

So I called the Lincoln dealer where we bought it from 2 months ago, and they want $29.95 for an oil change or $38.99 for oil change and tire rotation.

I called Grubbs Jeep, which is local to me at work, and they want $26.95 (which is what my previous car, an 06 Civic Si cost each time at the dealer) and that would at least be a Jeep dealer.

Then I called Alliance Jeep, about 1 mile from my house, out of the city limits... They want $9.99 for a 'basic oil change' and $17.99 for the ‘full service’ Mopar (Jeep parts) oil change, where they top up all the fluids too...

So I think I know where I’ll be going, and that’s a Jeep main dealer too.

It sure isn't worth getting dirty for $17.99 and they have an express lane which gets you in and out in 30 mins apparently.

It pays to call around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
"Good Call"! How much extra is it to go the Synthetic? My dealer wants an extra $40....and I am paying 26.99 for the oil change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Although I'm a mechanic, I have the dealer do my oil changes.
Why?
Because the service is put into a service history and for me, disposal is a PITA.
Also, my dealer has no issue with me supplying my own Mobil 1.
They flat charge me 16.00 plus tax for the filter.
Something you all might want to see is, if your dealer will consider a similar arrangement.
Might be benificial and cost nothing to ask.
........Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Well I fully agree that it definately does pay to shop around. The dealer where I purchased my Commander first changed my oil with "synthetic" and it was $50.00. The next oil change was due so I asked for the same oil change as the last one and when I went to pick up the Commander the bill was for $100.00. when I asked why the difference I was told that they used "real synthetic" this time rather than the BG additive (all news to me). When I asked why this was not explained to me they simply responded that I did not ask and offered $5.00 off. I told them to keep their $5.00 and they were not practicing very honest business especially with a good customer (their response...silence). I then went for my next oil change and brought in my own Mobile 1 since I thought I would save some money. The total cost was then $40.00. Nedless to say I then called around and found another dealer who does it for $10.00 plus the filter if I bring my own oil so it is not worth me doing it myself and they take their time and look the thing over real good since it is under warranty. The old dealer never even bothered looking the thing over while doing the service. After an oil change I always make a habbit of looking under the Commander for any leaks and check to see if all is well and I found the rear seal obviously leaking that if they cared they would have plainly seen. The old dealer is Leith Autopark Chrysler Jeep in Cary, NC. Needless to say I would not ever buy a wheelbarrow from them again and from further discussions with others they all have had the same poor experiences. If your in NC and you drive by the Autopark in Cary I would keep going (and maybe even speed up a little) since most all of the dealers in there are owned/operated my the same clueless wonder. The new dealer seems to really be customer service oriented and not out to screw me at every opportunity. That goes a long way when I buy again. I would not hesitate to pay a little more on a vehicle if the service department is as good as this new one seems to be.

On another note as to the incompetence of the first service department (Cary Autopark). When they changed the front endlinks they put the new ones on backwards. It was obvious that something was wrong when I drove home and it sounded like someone was under the thing with a hammer while I drove so I looked under it when I was home and could plainly see the things were obviously backwards.I returned it and they could only say the guy who did the work is their best front end guy. It then only took 4 more trips to get them to put the washers on that they left off the endlinks and when they changed the right control arm they never bothered to re-alline it again as well as when they replaced the steering rack. I will not bore all of you with the rest of the fun I experienced there but will tell you that it getting covered in overspray (they do body work outside next to service) they said it was their fault but did not remove it even after I left it there for a few days was another joyful experience. They are so honest there that when I asked to have my battery tested and questioned if it was under warranty they said yes and it would be free to check it for me...I was then given a bill for $110.00 for a diagnostics fee and told the battery was fine. I was given the choice to pay or not get my keys. I have filed several complaints with Chysler but you all know we get the same response that dealers are independently owned and bla! bla! bla! Shame on me for not finding a better service department sooner but you would think that being a Five Star Service Department (I get a tingle up my leg just hearing that one) meant something but I think that prestigious award from Chrysler goes to service departments who maintain fresh coffee (no more than 5 hours old) in their service areas, have running water (at least cold), and provide chairs in the waiting room. By the way the new dealer is NOT a five star dealer and they have rocked from day one. I even was introduced to the service manager one my first trip there. I purchased at the old dealer and even after 2 years and all the trouble I never even met that service manager even after making 2 appointments to meet with him and he backed out of both.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Well, I just got back from my first oil change in the Jeep, (it's an 06 but I only bought it a month ago, so it's my first Jeep oil change!) and the dealership was really helpful and on the ball.

I asked for the Mopar oil change as mentioned above, and that is what I got. It cost a little more than the $17.99 they quoted me as the Hemi takes more than 5 quarts of oil (they charged for 7 quarts) so the total was $23.95.

And that was still a cheaper oil change than it was on my 2006 Honda Civic Si that I had, and I know the Jeep uses a LOT more oil than my Civic did!

I mentioned to them that my passenger window was sticking (I showed them), that the mirror flapped about 70mph and that the VES remote stopped working. They said no problem at all, and they would look at them all right away (on a Saturday no less)... however I couldn't leave it with them today for a couple of hours, so I'll take it back next Saturday. Fortunately I am only 2 miles from the dealer.

I was able to simply drive in, get the oil change done and out in less than 45 mins. It was greatness! And I didn't have to get up at 6:30 am on a Saturday to do it either, like at Honda. I turned up about 9:45... straight in and out!

Congrats to Alliance Dodge Chrysler Jeep in North Fort Worth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in