Front brake pads? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Front brake pads?

Tell me about your favorites, any recommendations, any to avoid?

As near as I can tell, our 2006 Commander had Akebono ceramic pads installed at the factory. Not sure what's on it now, but they've worn out and started grinding on the rotor. So it's time for rotors and pads.

For pads, I was thinking Bendix CT-3 (part # D1080CT). They have wear indicator (scrapers), and they are in the $40-$45 range on Amazon.

I also considered the Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads (part # QC1181). Same price range, but those have no wear indicators, and they don't include the hardware with them. New hardware adds a few bucks, and the lack of any kind of wear indicator is a negative in my opinion.

If the Akebonos are that much better, I might consider them, but I'm seeing prices around $60+ for the Akebono ceramic sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Points: 16,175, Level: 81 Points: 16,175, Level: 81 Points: 16,175, Level: 81
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
I have been using the ceramics from Discount Auto on my 06 with little or no dust on the wheels
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Using wearever platinum ceramic. Very little dust and quiet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I ordered the Bendix pad set yesterday on Amazon. It should be here tomorrow.

For rotors, I got some Dura-Go rotors from RockAuto with the black EP coating on the hats, vanes, other non-friction surfaces. Seems like all the local parts stores only carry Chinese rotors these days. I'm not even sure if the Mopar rotors from the $tealership are US made (probably made in Mexico, or maybe even theirs are Chinese).

I was surprised that even with shipping (not insignificant on brake rotors, they are heavy), Rock Auto and Amazon beat the locals on this set of rotors.

Racer_X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm correct.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
Just put on the Wagner OEX1181 for $40 shipped from ebay. They have a big campaign about better stopping distance, etc. They are better than the half-used old ones but a real brake system upgrade is needed on these cars.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pads and rotors arrived. Pads arrived Wednesday, rotors on Thursday.

Today, I installed new rotor and pads on the passenger side. Old pads weren't completely gone yet, still showing groove in the pad material. I'd guess about 3/16" of material left on the pads.

The rubber O-ring got me on pulling the rotor off, until I did a little research and figured out it was there.

I moved to the driver's side. Trouble there. The outer pad looked great, hardly worn at all. The inner pad was on the backing plate. That's the grinding noise I was hearing.

I generally try to start pushing the pistons back when I'm disassembling the thing. I push the old inner pad away from the rotor, sliding a screw driver or pry bar between the rotor vanes, pushing it against the inner pad by prying against the caliper housing. I'll try to get a pic. It makes it easier to get the stuff apart, and you can actually push the pistons most of the way in that way, minimizing the work later to get them all the way in. Well, the lower piston won't budge. Nothing will make the thing move.

I take the caliper off, and sure enough, it doesn't look good. The lower piston is exposed, the dust cap is torn half way around it.

I've ordered new pistons, seal kit and new caliper pins and boots for the caliper pins. Got all that online (thanks, RockAuto). I'll call the local places tomorrow, see if I can get the same stuff locally quicker. If I end up with two sets, I'll pull the passenger side caliper again and freshen it up as well. It didn't look bad, but it won't hurt. Parts were under $30 from RA, including shipping.

So Sir (that's our Commander's name) is parked for a day or two waiting on even more brake parts.
Bobula likes this.

Racer_X

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Pads and rotors arrived. Pads arrived Wednesday, rotors on Thursday.

Today, I installed new rotor and pads on the passenger side. Old pads weren't completely gone yet, still showing groove in the pad material. I'd guess about 3/16" of material left on the pads.

The rubber O-ring got me on pulling the rotor off, until I did a little research and figured out it was there.

I moved to the driver's side. Trouble there. The outer pad looked great, hardly worn at all. The inner pad was on the backing plate. That's the grinding noise I was hearing.

I generally try to start pushing the pistons back when I'm disassembling the thing. I push the old inner pad away from the rotor, sliding a screw driver or pry bar between the rotor vanes, pushing it against the inner pad by prying against the caliper housing. I'll try to get a pic. It makes it easier to get the stuff apart, and you can actually push the pistons most of the way in that way, minimizing the work later to get them all the way in. Well, the lower piston won't budge. Nothing will make the thing move.

I take the caliper off, and sure enough, it doesn't look good. The lower piston is exposed, the dust cap is torn half way around it.

I've ordered new pistons, seal kit and new caliper pins and boots for the caliper pins. Got all that online (thanks, RockAuto). I'll call the local places tomorrow, see if I can get the same stuff locally quicker. If I end up with two sets, I'll pull the passenger side caliper again and freshen it up as well. It didn't look bad, but it won't hurt. Parts were under $30 from RA, including shipping.

So Sir (that's our Commander's name) is parked for a day or two waiting on even more brake parts.
Here are some other links that may help you in the future Racer;

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

Crawl Off-Road - https://crawloffroad.com/cart.php?ta...&category_id=3

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the links. I had a lot of those, but you brought up a few I didn't have yet. Also, I'll add a couple more and explain why they are useful even if you don't buy parts from these sources:
  • Search Jeep Commander Parts The link goes straight to Jeep Commander parts, but that's a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealership, and they have the entire parts catalog online. It's useful for a few things. Obviously, you can check the price for genuine parts to see if the savings are worth the risk of "off brands." You can also use it to keep your local dealership honest and avoid "matrix pricing." Less obvious, but more useful, you can get the original (Chrysler/Mopar) part # from there which will work with the "look up by part number" on other sites to bring up aftermarket alternatives.
  • ACDelco Parts Give it a Mopar/Chrysler part # (or Ford or GM part # for that matter) and it will give you ACDelco part #'s for the equivalent part from ACDelco. Again, you can use the number you get as a starting point for "search by part #" on other sites.
Those are helpful when you can't figure out where someone has hidden the part you're looking for on their website. Any decent website can turn part # from one of those two places into their own offerings for equivalent replacements. If they can't use those numbers, either they don't have what you're looking for, or they don't deserve your business because they can't help you find what you're looking for.

Racer_X

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just a quick update. The caliper parts came in Monday, and Tuesday morning this past week I rebuilt the front caliper (new pistons, seals, caliper pins and caliper pin boots, fresh grease in the caliper pin bores of the caliper frame). I'm know that phenolic material the pistons are made of isn't supposed to rust, and it's cheaper than stainless steel, but mine had some grainy, crusty stuff on it that seemed as abrasive as rust, and couldn't have been any better for the seal in the caliper bore.

I got it all back together Tuesday, and flushed the front system with fresh fluid, bleeding both sides until I had clear, fresh fluid coming through.

The pedal is firm (firmer than before, I think), and these Bendix CT-3 pads seem to perform a bit better than the mystery pads that were on it before (probably some cheap house brand from a parts place). The brake pedal is firm and the pads seem to grab a bit more with a bit less pedal effort than before. I'm not sure I had the factory pads before, so I'm not sure how they compare to what it had when new, but I'm satisfied with them so far, and the wife is happy, too.

Now, on to other projects, upgrades and mods.

Racer_X

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Another (perhaps final) update on the brakes on our Commander (he's known simply as "Sir" in our family).

The wife came back from the store and some other errands today, and she said, "I don't know what you did to the brakes, but they feel really good. They're almost as good as the Mercedes now. I used to worry that Sir (that's the Commander's name) didn't stop very well, but now his brakes are as good as any of our cars."

Our other cars generally are (or were) running Hawk HPS pads or similar "street performance" brake pads on stock (-ish not drilled or slotted) rotors. The Mercedes (an older S class coupe) has Akebono Performance Ceramics on it now, and that's what she compares the Jeep to.

I can highly recommend the Bendix CT3 pads for this Jeep. They perform well and have been a real improvement for Sir. No noticeable dust (not that we really notice brake dust among the other dust from our gravel roads and driveways), and no brake noise so far. Definitely a step up from most cheap "house brand" pads, and probably at least comparable to or possibly even better than the original factory pads.
TwoBobsXK likes this.

Racer_X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in