Pads and rotors arrived. Pads arrived Wednesday, rotors on Thursday.
Today, I installed new rotor and pads on the passenger side. Old pads weren't completely gone yet, still showing groove in the pad material. I'd guess about 3/16" of material left on the pads.
The rubber O-ring got me on pulling the rotor off, until I did a little research and figured out it was there.
I moved to the driver's side. Trouble there. The outer pad looked great, hardly worn at all. The inner pad was on the backing plate. That's the grinding noise I was hearing.
I generally try to start pushing the pistons back when I'm disassembling the thing. I push the old inner pad away from the rotor, sliding a screw driver or pry bar between the rotor vanes, pushing it against the inner pad by prying against the caliper housing. I'll try to get a pic. It makes it easier to get the stuff apart, and you can actually push the pistons most of the way in that way, minimizing the work later to get them all the way in. Well, the lower piston won't budge. Nothing will make the thing move.
I take the caliper off, and sure enough, it doesn't look good. The lower piston is exposed, the dust cap is torn half way around it.
I've ordered new pistons, seal kit and new caliper pins and boots for the caliper pins. Got all that online (thanks, RockAuto). I'll call the local places tomorrow, see if I can get the same stuff locally quicker. If I end up with two sets, I'll pull the passenger side caliper again and freshen it up as well. It didn't look bad, but it won't hurt. Parts were under $30 from RA, including shipping.
So Sir (that's our Commander's name) is parked for a day or two waiting on even more brake parts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm correct.