Help!! Need to replace my emergency brake handle... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunstorm9119

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Help!! Need to replace my emergency brake handle...

So I replaced my parking brake pads and hardware, and it still doesn't work at all. Turns out when you pull the handle there's no tension from the spring at all. I've tried to find a replacement but according to everywhere I've looked its discontinued for the 06. It is available for the 08-10 Commander but its a different part number, but even my local Jeep dealer can't tell me if it will fit mine without ordering it first. At $200+ its not the kind of money I'm comfortable being wrong about! Short of a junkyard I can't find this thing anywhere, so maybe someone here has a better idea?

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath and if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized."-Ultimate Warrior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstorm9119 View Post
So I replaced my parking brake pads and hardware, and it still doesn't work at all. Turns out when you pull the handle there's no tension from the spring at all. I've tried to find a replacement but according to everywhere I've looked its discontinued for the 06. It is available for the 08-10 Commander but its a different part number, but even my local Jeep dealer can't tell me if it will fit mine without ordering it first. At $200+ its not the kind of money I'm comfortable being wrong about! Short of a junkyard I can't find this thing anywhere, so maybe someone here has a better idea?
I can't really imagine what would be different between an 06/07 Commander parking brake and 08-10 Commander parking brake - a parking brake is a parking brake, how different can it be??

Myself, I'd order a new one - but if you are concerned about it not fitting (and I can't see why it wouldn't) a junkyard or salvage yard is really your only other option.

Maybe you can post in this thread;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...tml#post501890

Check with @heffercow and see if the parking brake assembly is still available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-01-2018 at 06:59 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
The cables tend to disconnect from a bracket that attaches to the main cable from the handle. The bracket I believe is right where the main cable comes through the floor above the differential. Look there - if that's the problem, when you reconnect you'll avoid ordering a new part.

But if you're saying the spring at the base of the handle is broken... Then I'm not sure where to turn except a salvage yard. Since the part numbers are different for '06 & '07's I wonder if the design was improved on the '08 thru '10 model years?

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
The cables tend to disconnect from a bracket that attaches to the main cable from the handle. The bracket I believe is right where the main cable comes through the floor above the differential. Look there - if that's the problem, when you reconnect you'll avoid ordering a new part.

But if you're saying the spring at the base of the handle is broken... Then I'm not sure where to turn except a salvage yard. Since the part numbers are different for '06 & '07's I wonder if the design was improved on the '08 thru '10 model years?

Bob
I thought the cable had disconnected too, but when I took the console off and checked it was fine. When I pull up on the handle the cable doesn't move until its nearly up all the way. Whatever holds tension on the spring to adjust the cable is shot..... There aren't many salvage yards around my area, so it seems like ordering it is gonna be my best bet.....

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath and if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized."-Ultimate Warrior
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstorm9119 View Post
I thought the cable had disconnected too, but when I took the console off and checked it was fine. When I pull up on the handle the cable doesn't move until its nearly up all the way. Whatever holds tension on the spring to adjust the cable is shot..... There aren't many salvage yards around my area, so it seems like ordering it is gonna be my best bet.....
The cable also has a bracket right above the rear differential under the rear seat that enables the tension to be applied to both rear emergency brakes at the same time. In other words, the bracket goes from one cable to two - and if there is no tension on the cable in the console then that cable isn't attached to the two cables that run from the bracket and then under the Jeep. The knob on the end of the single cable or either/both of the cables that go to the rear brakes could have come off or the single cable could have broken somewhere before the splitter bracket. Unfortunately you have to pull the rear seat out to see what I'm talking about - see the picture below. In the picture the rear of the Jeep is to the right; the single cable goes to the console. Make sure those two cables are attached to the cable splitter bracket on the end of the single cable that comes from the console.

The spring you're referencing doesn't really do anything except insure the handle comes back down when you press the button on the end of it. The tension you're seeking when you pull up on the handle comes from the parking brake system itself and the springs that keep the shoes pulled away from the drums inside the rear rotors.

Here's a write-up here on the forum about the process of getting to the cable splitter under the rear seat: Parking Brake Cable

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
The cable also has a bracket right above the rear differential under the rear seat that enables the tension to be applied to both rear emergency brakes at the same time. In other words, the bracket goes from one cable to two - and if there is no tension on the cable in the console then that cable isn't attached to the two cables that run from the bracket and then under the Jeep. The knob on the end of the single cable or either/both of the cables that go to the rear brakes could have come off or the single cable could have broken somewhere before the splitter bracket. Unfortunately you have to pull the rear seat out to see what I'm talking about - see the picture below. In the picture the rear of the Jeep is to the right; the single cable goes to the console. Make sure those two cables are attached to the cable splitter bracket on the end of the single cable that comes from the console.

The spring you're referencing doesn't really do anything except insure the handle comes back down when you press the button on the end of it. The tension you're seeking when you pull up on the handle comes from the parking brake system itself and the springs that keep the shoes pulled away from the drums inside the rear rotors.

Here's a write-up here on the forum about the process of getting to the cable splitter under the rear seat: Parking Brake Cable

Bob
I'll check that out, but I've already had the mechanic who installed everything check it and the handle seems to be the problem. When you pull the handle up it doesn't pull the cable at all, but I've pulled the cable itself and I can't feel any slack like if it was disconnected down the line. The point where the cable is connected to the handle literally stays still when the handle moves. I know the handle brake is supposed to be self adjusting and it seems like that's where it broke....
TwoBobsXK likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in