Service 4WD System - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
ste9063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: US
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 125000
Posts: 41
Garage
Service 4WD System

A couple weeks ago I was driving for several hours on very snowy back roads in WV. Then suddenly the "Service 4WD System" message appeared on the EVIC, no CEL or anything. 4WD was definitely still working, I watched out the window as the front wheels would spin. The message has been on constantly ever since. My OBDII reader of course doesn't show anything, so I'm guessing this is some sort of enhanced code or something? Is there a way for me to find out what the problem is without taking it to the dealership?

--2009 4.7L QT2

--ste9063
ste9063 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lisle, IL
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
Posts: 417
Not sure of the fix but this is very common and yes, your 4x4 is still on and working


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
Bobula is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
ste9063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: US
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 125000
Posts: 41
Garage
Is there a way for me to clear the message without taking it to a dealership? Disconnect the battery for a while maybe? I'm just wondering if the code is cleared, does the message come back. Or was there maybe a momentary issue that has been resolved but the computer doesn't clear the code by itself so it continues to show the message without checking to see if the problem is still occurring.

--ste9063
ste9063 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,076
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9063 View Post
Is there a way for me to clear the message without taking it to a dealership? Disconnect the battery for a while maybe? I'm just wondering if the code is cleared, does the message come back. Or was there maybe a momentary issue that has been resolved but the computer doesn't clear the code by itself so it continues to show the message without checking to see if the problem is still occurring.
The Service 4WD System Message is there for a reason.

Have you ever had the P73 campaign completed on your Commander?

Also can you verify that you can shift into and out of 4-LOW and that 4-LOW is actually working properly?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is online now  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
ste9063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: US
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 125000
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
The Service 4WD System Message is there for a reason.

Have you ever had the P73 campaign completed on your Commander?

Also can you verify that you can shift into and out of 4-LOW and that 4-LOW is actually working properly?
Yes, it was completed shortly after it was released (nearly 3 years ago now?).

I'll have to check 4-low tonight. Prior to the recall I was receiving this same message and it would not let me engage 4-low, so I have a feeling this will be the case again...

--ste9063
ste9063 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,076
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9063 View Post
Yes, it was completed shortly after it was released (nearly 3 years ago now?).

I'll have to check 4-low tonight. Prior to the recall I was receiving this same message and it would not let me engage 4-low, so I have a feeling this will be the case again...
You may need to get your final drive control module flashed with the P73 update again - and unfortunately, that can only be done at the dealership.

I know of some members that have said they had to have the flash done 3 times consecutively for it to take properly.

Here is a copy of the customer satisfaction notice;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FCA P73 campaign notice.pdf (167.5 KB, 126 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is online now  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
ste9063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: US
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 125000
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
You may need to get your final drive control module flashed with the P73 update again - and unfortunately, that can only be done at the dealership.

I know of some members that have said they had to have the flash done 3 times consecutively for it to take properly.

Here is a copy of the customer satisfaction notice;
Thanks, Blue. I didn't get a chance last night to test 4-low. If by some miracle it actually engages, I wonder if there is a possibility that it gets stuck in 4-low... might be better just to take it to the dealership to see what they say about doing the flash again. And who knows what they'll charge just to do that again.

--ste9063
ste9063 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
Posts: 338
Could be lots of things ... Too much chatter in front end throwing off the sensors... Check upper/lower control arm bushings and ball joints... Bad breaks.. check for uneven wear/jammed caliper-pads will be worn on an angle top to bottom. Wheel speed sensors..

I have the same system, constant 4wd with active breaking control of individual wheels... For me it was loose driveline... Replaced lower control arms...

Still triggered occasionally by stuck caliper that I have to replace as well.

2010 5.7 QTII -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Custom Tow Rings F/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
thance is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36 Points: 3,467, Level: 36
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
ste9063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: US
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 125000
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thance View Post
Could be lots of things ... Too much chatter in front end throwing off the sensors... Check upper/lower control arm bushings and ball joints... Bad breaks.. check for uneven wear/jammed caliper-pads will be worn on an angle top to bottom. Wheel speed sensors..

I have the same system, constant 4wd with active breaking control of individual wheels... For me it was loose driveline... Replaced lower control arms...

Still triggered occasionally by stuck caliper that I have to replace as well.
Front rotors and pads were just replaced in November, I'll have to check calipers and the rear components...

What do you mean by "loose driveline"? I have a 'clunk' that occurs sometimes from the front end. Most noticeably when going downhill, let off the accelerator, and the transmission shifts up. My mechanic said it is likely some "driveline binding" and to not worry about it. Just wondering if something like that could be connected.

--ste9063
ste9063 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,076
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9063 View Post
Thanks, Blue. I didn't get a chance last night to test 4-low. If by some miracle it actually engages, I wonder if there is a possibility that it gets stuck in 4-low... might be better just to take it to the dealership to see what they say about doing the flash again. And who knows what they'll charge just to do that again.
You could get stuck in 4-HIGH or 4-LOW.

There is a customer satisfaction notice out for the P73 flash - so, as far as I know, they can not charge you for it, no matter how many times they do it, so long as it solves your problem.

If they do flash it again and it doesn't solve your issue and they start doing further troubleshooting, they may charge you for the troubleshooting at that point.

But the P73 flash should be free.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome