New Heating problems 07 W/ 4.7 V8 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 111000
New Heating problems 07 W/ 4.7 V8

Alright looking for some help again, ran into some new heating problems again the other day and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
Last summer I went through flushing and replacing several components on my 07 Jeep Commander with the 4.7 V8. New fluid from the dealer. Got new upper and lower hoses, t-stat, temp sensor, water pump, radiator, radiator cap, and heater core eventually all done last summer. I ended up finding out then with all that work the prior owner put stop gunk leak in the radiator and I had to chase it out. After going through the bleeding the process several times. All had been good until the other night.

While parked (family inside of car, I ran into the gas station to grab a drink) it overheated. I immediately shut it down, popped the hood and saw some bubbles in the over flow tank. I let it cool down for a bit and it was good to go. I found out my wife during that time shut off the AC. I drove it home with the ac running and it seemed to be good. Furthermore a couple months back we took it on a trip and it was fine. This was a 12 hour each way and no cooling problems. I'm curious to see your thoughts and opinions. My responses will be delayed, cannot view from work computer and no smart phone ha ha. Thanks in advance all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Hmmm.... well I'm going to go through the usual checks this weekend and see what I can find out. Going to confirm my electric fan is turning as it should ect. I forgot to add that last summer in my preparation to use my Commander for some occasional towing I added the heavy duty clutch fan as well which will help keep it running cooler. Right now I'm leaning towards a faulty temp sensor and I'm going to see that if it turns on without the AC running once it hits operating temperature and heat running. Should be fun.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Just my 2 cents here;

The fact that your issue occurred when your XK was parked and you have no cooling issues on long trips while the vehicle is moving would point me towards some kind of malfunction with the fan - since the fan is the component most likely to fail that is primarily responsible for cooling airflow.

That would be my first check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-07-2018 at 05:20 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

4WD
Current Mileage: 157k
I had a water pump replacement at a dealership. They forgot to plug the fan back in.

I was livid. As you may already know, turning the AC on when parked prompts the fan to kick on. So it makes sense if the fan didn't kick on due to engine temps but was on with the AC running.

I don't know what would cause that issue, though. Best of luck, and let us know what you figure out!

Edit: Looks like you know what you're doing and are on the right track. I hadn't read your second post fully.

Last edited by Aerogt01; 09-07-2018 at 04:06 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Just my 2 cents here;

The fact that your issue occurred when your XK was parked and you have no cooling issues on long trips while the vehicle is moving would point me towards some kind of malfunction with the fan - since the fan is the component most likely to fail that is primarily responsible for cooling airflow.

That would be my first check.
Thanks, yeah that is my thought as well. Pending no more rain here today I'm going to check the fan. I need a volt meter to as well as it just may not be running at full strength either. This was also in my mind since it is literally the only thing I have not replaced from my cooling on the Commander yet too lol. Love your Commander I could look at it all day long, still looking great.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogt01 View Post
I had a water pump replacement at a dealership. They forgot to plug the fan back in.

I was livid. As you may already know, turning the AC on when parked prompts the fan to kick on. So it makes sense if the fan didn't kick on due to engine temps but was on with the AC running.

I don't know what would cause that issue, though. Best of luck, and let us know what you figure out!

Edit: Looks like you know what you're doing and are on the right track. I hadn't read your second post fully.
Thanks will do. I've been a hobby mechanic my whole life so for the most part it's not a big deal. Sites like this are great as it will help a very experienced person to a less experienced person narrow down issues without a ton of cost at dealership if they have the time and ability to tackle a little DIY.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarX View Post
Thanks, yeah that is my thought as well. Pending no more rain here today I'm going to check the fan. I need a volt meter to as well as it just may not be running at full strength either. This was also in my mind since it is literally the only thing I have not replaced from my cooling on the Commander yet too lol. Love your Commander I could look at it all day long, still looking great.
Thanks @MarX, I appreciate it.

Keep us posted and let us know what you find.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-08-2018 at 08:13 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

4WD
So I went through it in my driveway and let it run/ idle with the heater on the middle and no AC running. As it should the electric fan did not kick on as it is waiting for the signal to at temp (typically at the half mark on our gauges at least mine since it's not digital). Once it hit that gauge it started up which is good. The 4.7 flex fuel have a low and high relay for the electric fan. So I continued to wait for the high to switch on. It did a good few minutes later (which is good as well). Unfortunately the gauge still continued to climb slowly so I ended up shutting it down. Seeing and hearing the noise difference go I have no reason to think the relays are bad. The car is doing everything as it should I just think the electric fan motor is not up to the task any more. I'm probably going to go ahead and replace that unless someone else has an idea where I could have an issue? Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

4WD
Current Mileage: 157k
If your fan is working properly, other possible issues are the thermostat no longer fully opening or worn water pump impeller. These two are unlikely after just a year.

EDIT: You've replaced dang near everything else. If the system is properly bled and pressurizing, I wouldn't know where else to turn.

Last edited by Aerogt01; 09-08-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogt01 View Post
If your fan is working properly, other possible issues are the thermostat no longer fully opening or worn water pump impeller. These two are unlikely after just a year.

EDIT: You've replaced dang near everything else. If the system is properly bled and pressurizing, I wouldn't know where else to turn.

Thanks yeah it's got me a little perplexed as well. This afternoon I replaced the electric fan so that job is done. Unfortunately I had to disconnect the top radiator hose so now I have to bleed the system all over again. Worse part is that will have to wait until Monday as I do not have any more coolant and have to wait for the dealer parts shop to open again. So I will not know if the fan today was the complete answer yet until probably end of next week. I did fire it back up, let it get to temp to check and make sure it kicked on which it did. It actually sounded stronger but no guarantee that means anything. Driving will be the real test. Once I bleed this thing again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in