Hemi throttle body - clean or replace?? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

3Likes
  • 2 Post By rblapham
  • 1 Post By PhilCommanderPayne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Hemi throttle body - clean or replace??

Hey, I’ve been having a surge at idle and then nearly stalling and a few times it did stall. I’ve been told that the TPS or IAC could be the culprit and that these are both built into the 5.7 TB and can’t be removed. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

On this point and A few months back I had my throttle body cleaned and doing some more research a few people have said that you should not manually clean a throttle body by pushing the ‘blade’ as Once u move the electronic throttle blade by hand on the electronic throttle bodies u knock it out of calibration and they never reset so idles hi. So basically you have to replace the TB rather than clean it for the 5.7.

Can anyone agree or disprove this? If the throttle body is removed before touching the blade is this ok?

Cheers

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15 Points: 884, Level: 15
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 131,000
Did you disconnect the battery to see if it would reset?

I actually cleaned my throttle body in February and haven't had any problems at all. I didn't spray any cleaner directly on it, but just got a rag damp and scrubbed away while making sure I didn't let the blade slam shut or anything.

2010 XK Sport w/ HEMI and QTII
Rough Country 2" Spacer Lift
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
K&N Cold Air Intake
Superchips TrailDash 2
MBRP 3" Cat Back Exhaust
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
The Hemi throttle body is a single unit; that means no replacing the TPS or anything else. It also means you have to be careful when cleaning it, since using cleaners too liberally can mess with the electronics.

There shouldn't be any problems moving the blade to clean it though. There is a recalibration method. I had similar problems initially when cleaning mine but after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and running through the calibration mentioned I haven't had any problems.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Did you disconnect the battery to see if it would reset?

I have disconnected the battery since for about 10 mins if that will work?

I actually cleaned my throttle body in February and haven't had any problems at all. I didn't spray any cleaner directly on it, but just got a rag damp and scrubbed away while making sure I didn't let the blade slam shut or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
The Hemi throttle body is a single unit; that means no replacing the TPS or anything else. It also means you have to be careful when cleaning it, since using cleaners too liberally can mess with the electronics.

There shouldn't be any problems moving the blade to clean it though. There is a recalibration method. I had similar problems initially when cleaning mine but after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and running through the calibration mentioned I haven't had any problems.
Ok thanks, I’ll take a look at this cheers

I think with my surging at idle I’m going to replace the throttle body but good to know you can clean it and move the blade without worrying about breaking it or thinking calibration.

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:21 AM
Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

4WD
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
I cleaned mine with no problems, didn't realize there were things to watch out for. I did use brake cleaner instead of throttle body cleaner, read someplace that the throttle body cleaner can cause problems with the sensors. Used a ton of brake cleaner with no problem, after removing the throttle body. That was 20,000 miles ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB before.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	33203   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB after.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	33205  

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,926, Level: 91 Points: 20,926, Level: 91 Points: 20,926, Level: 91
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCommanderPayne View Post
Ok thanks, I’ll take a look at this cheers

I think with my surging at idle I’m going to replace the throttle body but good to know you can clean it and move the blade without worrying about breaking it or thinking calibration.
There is also an air intake temperature sensor in the vicinity of the mass air meter which if it goes bad will cause surging/sputtering symptoms and will even cause the engine to stall. I would have that checked and make sure it is reading the proper air temperature.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100 Points: 31,128, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

4WD
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
There is also an air intake temperature sensor in the vicinity of the mass air meter which if it goes bad will cause surging/sputtering symptoms and will even cause the engine to stall. I would have that checked and make sure it is reading the proper air temperature.
The air temp sensor on the hemi is in the intake air silencer - that big box by the radiator and above the fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air sensor.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	33209  
Big Blue and rewdboy like this.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
The air temp sensor on the hemi is in the intake air silencer - that big box by the radiator and above the fan.
Thanks guys, just ordered a new throttle body, I did go with an eBay one (that another Uk Commander owner has used) so fingers crossed its good enough quality. I didn't want to spend 350 from the dealership!

Will check that sensor too Big Blue and also probably going to replace the EGR valve as done 116,000 miles so might as well as seems cheap and relatively easy to do.

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
[QUOTE=PhilCommanderPayne;533203]
Quote:
There is also an air intake temperature sensor in the vicinity of the mass air meter which if it goes bad will cause surging/sputtering symptoms and will even cause the engine to stall. I would have that checked and make sure it is reading the proper air temperature.]

Thanks guys, just ordered a new throttle body, I did go with an eBay one (that another Uk Commander owner has used) so fingers crossed its good enough quality. I didn't want to spend 350 from the dealership!

Will check that sensor too Big Blue and also probably going to replace the EGR valve as done 116,000 miles so might as well as seems cheap and relatively easy to do.
So new TB installed, mpg went up to 18 which for my Hemi is insane, has settled around 17mpg.

Unfortunately still getting the surging, although hasn’t stalled yet, not that it was stalling often before. Wonder if it takes a bit of time to settle in?

New egr valve purchased and going to do cam sensor too. Haven’t been able to check the air intake sensor yet.
Big Blue likes this.

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in