Need help with water leak on driver side from Sun Roof. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 139000
Need help with water leak on driver side from Sun Roof.

Saw some water leaking out of the screw covers on the driver side handle. So I figured it was due to the bad design of the sun roof drain with the blue hose. I took out the plug from the floorboard to do the quick fix I saw on Youtube (cutting the opening at the bottom for easier drainage) but whoever owned the Jeep before me has already done this. So I am not sure why it is leaking. Only thing I can think of is whoever did the fix maybe pulled the blue hose causing it to pull from its position up by the sun roof...but wouldn't this cause water to leak onto the dash? Because its not doing that. Other than that only thing I can think of is a hole in the hose.

Last edited by Dyson350; 10-28-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
@Dyson350 ; Your water leak is not necessarily the result of a clogged sunroof drain tube.

Do you have anything mounted on the roof that was not installed by the factory?

A light bar or anything of that nature?

It could also be your factory roof rail bolts/screws are rusting out, allowing water to get in - or you could have a bad door seal or a door out of alignment.

You have to figure out definitively where the origin of your leak is - and it can be a real PIA trying to isolate the cause.

Commanders - particularly those with sunroofs are pretty notorious for having water leaks - the sunroof drains are a common cause, but my point is, they are not the only cause. Could also be that the sunroof seal/gasket itself, needs to be replaced.

Until you definitively isolate the cause, you can only speculate - but you can't just assume it's the sunroof drain tubes, particularly in your case - where it seems like that issue has already been addressed.

There can be other causes as I mentioned above - any of which would produce the same, or very similar symptoms, with water leaking out of the driver's side front interior grab handle over the dashboard.

You may have to go out in your driveway with a hose and just run water on the roof continuously and try to track the source of the leak down that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-29-2018 at 12:28 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
@Dyson350; Your water leak is not necessarily the result of a clogged sunroof drain tube.

Do you have anything mounted on the roof that was not installed by the factory?

A light bar or anything of that nature?

It could also be your factory roof rail bolts/screws are rusting out, allowing water to get in - or you could have a bad door seal or a door out of alignment.

You have to figure out definitively where the origin of your leak is - and it can be a real PIA trying to isolate the cause.

Commanders - particularly those with sunroofs are pretty notorious for having water leaks - the sunroof drains are a common cause, but my point is, they are not the only cause. Could also be that the sunroof seal/gasket itself, needs to be replaced.

Until you definitively isolate the cause, you can only speculate - but you can't just assume it's the sunroof drain tubes, particularly in your case - where it seems like that issue has already been addressed.

There can be other causes as I mentioned above - any of which would produce the same, or very similar symptoms, with water leaking out of the driver's side front interior grab handle over the dashboard.

You may have to go out in your driveway with a hose and just run water on the roof continuously and try to track the source of the leak down that way.

What makes me think its not something in the roof like a seal or bolt is there is no signs of water on the ceiling of the interior. I'm going to take it to a shop and also does windshields and have them check it out. I am not convinced its not a seal problem on the corner of the windshield. Whatever it is, I hope it is a easy fix.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson350 View Post
What makes me think its not something in the roof like a seal or bolt is there is no signs of water on the ceiling of the interior. I'm going to take it to a shop and also does windshields and have them check it out. I am not convinced its not a seal problem on the corner of the windshield. Whatever it is, I hope it is a easy fix.
Good luck, let me know how it goes.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Will do, this problem really have me stressed out and want it fixed asap. So many potential issues can stem from this, damaged electronic, water damage on floorboard, rust, ect...no idea how I am going to wet the water out of the foam under the carpet.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Will do, this problem really have me stressed out and want it fixed asap. So many potential issues can stem from this, damaged electronic, water damage on floorboard, rust, ect...no idea how I am going to wet the water out of the foam under the carpet.
That's totally understandable and I'd have the same exact sense of urgency if I was in your position.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Quote:
That's totally understandable and I'd have the same exact sense of urgency if I was in your position.
Assuming it doesnt leak more, all it was was the drain hose came loose at the top. $45 fix
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Assuming it doesnt leak more, all it was was the drain hose came loose at the top. $45 fix
That's great news.....you should be pretty happy I'd imagine.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
That's great news.....you should be pretty happy I'd imagine.
Yeah, main thing now is the water on the floorboard. Its all cleaned up but the foam is ever so slightly damp. I am hoping it will be dry enough to not be an issue at this point.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, main thing now is the water on the floorboard. Its all cleaned up but the foam is ever so slightly damp. I am hoping it will be dry enough to not be an issue at this point.
This might sound silly, but, I would try just blowing it dry with a hair dryer for a little while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in