Jeep Commander Forum banner

Powerstop Calipers

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  gtonram 
#1 ·
Has anybody had any experience with these? I think I have a leaking seal in a rear caliper and was considering buying these.

Some Amazon reviews talk of early failure, though, so it makes me a bit cautious.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Power Stop K2220-36 Front & Rear Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit

I have this kit and have been very happy with it. Approx. 20K miles so far all working well. Not necessarily answering your question though about calipers.
I have the same kit - Power Stop K2220-36 Front & Rear Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit with drilled & slotted rotors; had it a couple of years now with no issues other than an occasional squeak from the driver's side front rotor when the wheels are moving for the first time on a cold morning. My mechanic said it's normal with the Power Stop kit.

I have not heard of anybody using the Power Stop calipers before.

#5 ·
It's hard to say if these are non-stock. Power Stop rebuilds the calipers and powdercoats them. Quote from there website

"Every caliper is expertly remanufactured, lubricated, and pressure tested in our Chicago, IL facility."

My guess is that they are "Jeep" calipers rebuilt by Power Stop.

#6 ·
I wouldn't personally be concerned about using an aftermarket or rebuilt caliper. They're a pretty basic system, without a lot that can go wrong if they're manufactured well, and Power Stop seems to be a pretty decent brand for brake parts.

Reactions: Flex
#7 ·
Thanks, all!

Seems I definitely have a leak as I have been losing fluid, and have good reason to believe it's the right rear caliper.

As soon as I can get under the whole vehicle to make sure it's not a line or fitting somewhere I'll probably order the Powerstop rear pair and report back.

Now if only I had $$ to get some custom braided SS lines...

#8 ·
Thanks, all!

Seems I definitely have a leak as I have been losing fluid, and have good reason to believe it's the right rear caliper.

As soon as I can get under the whole vehicle to make sure it's not a line or fitting somewhere I'll probably order the Powerstop rear pair and report back.

Now if only I had $$ to get some custom braided SS lines...

Looking forward to hearing about what you think of them once you get them in hand & installed.

#9 ·
You can buy SRT8 stock brembo calipers from car-part.com for around $150 or less, buy rear adapter plates to convert to the SRT8 bolt specs:

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/jeep-adapter-parking-brake~5290734aa.html

And the factory brake lines for the SRT8, then pads and rotors and you're good to go! Lol.

I bought all 4 brembos for $325.

As well as lines and almost all supporting parts to install them, I just have to actually powder coat the brembos and get pads and rotors.

#10 ·
You can buy SRT8 stock brembo calipers from car-part.com for around $150 or less, buy rear adapter plates to convert to the SRT8 bolt specs:

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/jeep-adapter-parking-brake~5290734aa.html

And the factory brake lines for the SRT8, then pads and rotors and you're good to go! Lol.

I bought all 4 brembos for $325.

As well as lines and almost all supporting parts to install them, I just have to actually powder coat the brembos and get pads and rotors.
Don't you need a bigger wheel to clear Brembos?

#13 ·
Just meant to say that they are not made by Powerstop, and that they are refurbed. Likely standard calipers from Mopar or the like.

#15 ·
I just ordered the Z36 powerstop package with calipers. I read that the Z36 kit uses a larger brake pad than the OEM size. I'm curious to see if the calipers that come in the kit are physically larger than the OEM calipers. I had an emergency stop situation on the freeway and stopped about 3 feet from impacting the car in front of me so I'm looking forward to some more stopping power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.