Engine trans rebuild - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

1Likes
  • 1 Post By g_ster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 177545
Engine trans rebuild

Does anyone on here know of a reputable member or mechanic who would rebuild my motor and trans? Or should I just buy used? My motor is a 4.7 and is leaking oil and has no power anymore. The trans is ok but would love to freshen it up if I'm gonna go about fixing the motor. I'm in the Missouri are and can and will travel I found a place that can replace the motor with a low mileage one installed for $2500 is this sound like a good deal. Ive changed a lot of trans and motors in fwd cars never any rwd or sed. Is everything plug and play? thanks in advance for any info or input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:57 PM
Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 180k+
I would suggest getting a quality rebuilt engine from one of the national rebuilders. They typically have a good warranty and are more likely to have done their homework regarding recent improvements to the original design, including the cylinder head valve seats. Also the bigger rebuilders dyno test their motors before shipping for better quality control. You can get a Jasper rebuilt for under $3000, and if you shop around you could get something similar for closer to $2500. A used engine i not a good option unless you have no other choice due to budget.
All that being said, don't skimp on the accessories when doing a job like this. Expect to spend money on gaskets, sensors, belts and hoses, plugs, vacuum lines, fluids and filters. If you are like me, you start saying to yourself "while its apart i might as well....." and before you know it the radiator and condenser are being changed, you are detailing the engine compartment, aftermarket grill and headlights are being ordered... you get the picture.
Is your Commander worth putting $4000 to $5000 into? Is it in good enough condition to justify the expense? If (and when) my engine fails I plan on putting in a rebuilt, and probably a rebuilt trans as well. Good luck.

Shortly after production ended, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said of the Commander, "That vehicle was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

2WD
Current Mileage: 125K
I had Pro Engines install a rebuilt with a three year warranty, new gaskets, reman intake, water pump for about $5000.

I've already had an oil leak and they handled the issue with my mechanic. They are in North Carolina, and I'm in Florida

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,333, Level: 89 Points: 20,333, Level: 89 Points: 20,333, Level: 89
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_ster View Post
I had Pro Engines install a rebuilt with a three year warranty, new gaskets, reman intake, water pump for about $5000.

I've already had an oil leak and they handled the issue with my mechanic. They are in North Carolina, and I'm in Florida
@g_ster;

Could you post Pro Engines contact information?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

2WD
Current Mileage: 125K
Pro Engines LLC
336-792-5521
[email protected]
Speak to Adam
Big Blue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in