Brake advice needed...stumped - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 81,000
Send a message via AIM to Mark Manning Send a message via MSN to Mark Manning Send a message via Yahoo to Mark Manning
Brake advice needed...stumped

2008 Commander with the 4.7 V8.

A few days ago I replaced my front brake rotors and pads due to the rotors being rusty and the pads being worn out. When I was doing the service I applied the E-brake and blocked the wheels. While I was removing the passenger side caliper I broke one of the pistons so I replaced that caliper with one from Autozone. After replacing the caliper I bled it to remove the air that was possibly in the system. On the first drive the brakes felt good.

After driving maybe 10 miles I started to notice that it felt like a brake was dragging (reduced engine power). The further I drove the worse it seemed to get. When I got home I checked brake rotor temp. with a heatgun. Both fronts were around 150 degrees and the rears were 210. Both rears were significantly hotter than the fronts.

My first thought was that the E-brake was hung up slightly causing the rears to heat up so I backed the adjusters completely off to take the e-brake out of the picture. After another drive I still have the same issue.

Next I re-bled the front brakes again to insure that any air is out of the system. (the brakes felt good , not spongy but I bled them just to be sure).

The odd thing is that when I stop the vehicle on a slight grade the vehicle will roll on its own but when I drive it there is clearly something wrong, greatly reduced engine power, rear brakes 50 degrees hotter than the fronts.

When the vehicle is cold and I jack it up and spin the wheels (front and rear) they spin with what I think is a normal amount of effort

At this point I am utterly stumped and hope that someone smarter than me can help diagnose what I have going on.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Send a message via AIM to Mark Manning Send a message via MSN to Mark Manning Send a message via Yahoo to Mark Manning
I guess whats confusing me the most is that before the front rotor/caliper change I did not have this issue. Immediately after the change the issue showed up. I didn't touch the rear brakes but they are way hotter than the fronts. I never checked temps before but I always assumed that the fronts ran hotter due to them doing most of the work. I wouldn't be so concerned about the heat issue but the loss of power/ difference in handling and cornering at low speed tells me that something is dragging or not releasing.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Model year: 2007
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 157k
You may want to try and remove the rear rotors to verify the e-brake isn't still dragging.

Also, bit of a long shot, but you might try the same drive with ESP full off or even the FDCM disconnected. I experienced a similar drivability issue when I had an FDCM problem.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogt01 View Post
You may want to try and remove the rear rotors to verify the e-brake isn't still dragging.

Also, bit of a long shot, but you might try the same drive with ESP full off or even the FDCM disconnected. I experienced a similar drivability issue when I had an FDCM problem.
Thats a good thought on the rotors, I actually did remove both rears to verify that there is no interference after I backed the shoes off.

I guess that I am assuming that the rears being hotter than the fronts is abnormal but I don't know that for sure. Can someone shoot their rotors after a drive and let me know what you are seeing as far as temps?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
You might try driving around after the rotors are cool, try to not use the brake pedal as much as possible and then check the temperatures. If dragging they should heat up, if not hot it could be normal from use. I do not have a heat temperature gun- sorry.
Also could it be the new front brakes haven't broken in yet and the rears are being used more due to that.
Mark Manning likes this.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rblapham; 08-27-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,176, Level: 93 Points: 23,176, Level: 93 Points: 23,176, Level: 93
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:

Forgive me here, but, I would think driving around with the emergency brake dragging - or still engaged, would be very obvious; I don't think you'd need a heat gun to detect it, I'd think the loss of acceleration, power and the ability coast freely would be obviously noticeable.

Did you check your emergency brake cable, to make sure it didn't dislodge or break?
Mark Manning likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-27-2019 at 01:59 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:38 PM

4WD
Believe or not, I've done it before. Kinda stupid of me, to be honest. Live and learn.

If the parking brake is stuck on, he couldn't have gotten the rotors off. And, if memory serves, a broken cable would just render the parking brake stuck in the fully disengaged, due to the return springs.

I'm wondering if he somehow bumped the ABS sensor cable, and it's giving traction control erroneous readings.
Mark Manning likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Believe or not, I've done it before. Kinda stupid of me, to be honest. Live and learn.

If the parking brake is stuck on, he couldn't have gotten the rotors off. And, if memory serves, a broken cable would just render the parking brake stuck in the fully disengaged, due to the return springs.

I'm wondering if he somehow bumped the ABS sensor cable, and it's giving traction control erroneous readings.
Could I have messed something in the ABS up when I bled the new caliper? I don't really know if that is possible. I'll turn the traction control off and see if that does anything.

I do know that the E-brake is not the culprit, I backed the adjusters all the way off so it does nothing now when you pull the handbrake. I will adjust them back once I get this sorted

Mark
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:

I'll try the drive with the ESP turned off with the switch, not sure how to disconnect the FDCM though....under the hood?

Mark
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:47 PM

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manning View Post
I'll try the drive with the ESP turned off with the switch, not sure how to disconnect the FDCM though....under the hood?

Mark
Make sure to do full off - Hold the switch while in park until the DTC reads ESP OFF or something of the like.

The FDCM should be under the access panel of the driver's side passenger seat. Silver metal box, not the black plastic one.

In the somewhat remote chance either of those things actually fix it you'll need a scanner that reads ABS and 4WD codes. I use a Bluedriver. I don't love it, but it can hardly be beat for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in