Jeep Commander Forum banner

Catalytic Converter issues

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Frankp 
#1 ·
A few months ago, my check engine light popped on, and started spitting a 420 code, and later a 430 code. According to my scanner, it means something might be up with the left and right bank catalytic converters.
I haven't noticed any actual change in the vehicle's performance, engine behavior, or gas mileage. The 430 code in particular will briefly resolve itself after a few straight hours of highway driving.

Went to my local Pepboys for an oil change and asked about it, but they just ran a scanner again and the guy gave me a vague estimate of $2000 or more to replace "the whole thing." So I just left, and after doing some research on my own afterwards, I'm a little suspicious.

I'm gonna try and take it to a independent shop I actually trust later this month to get a proper diagnosis, but the problem is I don't know much about the exhaust system. I just want to make sure it passes the Pennsylvania inspection this spring without totally destroying my bank account, because two grand seems really excessive.

Is there anything else I should check/fix or get checked/fixed before just trying to replace the cat(s)?

Am I playing with fire if I ask to use something other than an OEM replacement? I don't live in CA or NY, and I see fed-compliant systems from Magnaflow for example that are literally half the price of what MOPAR charges on their website.

(Apologies in advance if this was already dealt with in another thread. I did try searching the forums, but didn't see anything really exhaustive.)

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Well, I finally got it in at a shop I trust, and they did a proper diagnosis. It's definitely the cats going bad, not the sensors. Luckily, they gave me a pretty fair quote for replacing everything, and actually gave me the number of an exhaust shop out in the boonies where swapping out cats is pretty much all they do, and they have really low labor costs.

They also confirmed that it's nothing to really worry about until inspection time.

#4 ·
This is an old thread maybe you're still a member. I just bought an 08 hemi and my light came on too. Shop said converter. I live in pa also and it'll have to get repaired. What stinks is i might be transferring to Florida where I wouldn't have to worry about it. My mechanic said oem is 3300 and an aftermarket about 1500. If I get approved on the transfer I'll just spend as little as possible. I'm curious how yours is preforming. Did you go with an aftermarket converter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.