Recommended Brake Rotors/Pads - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8,623, Level: 62 Points: 8,623, Level: 62 Points: 8,623, Level: 62
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to Chipster009
Recommended Brake Rotors/Pads

So @ 47k it looks like my XK needs a rear rotor and pad replacement. Rotors are just about at the minimum thickness spec ... The fronts seem to have a bit more left.

Anyone have good experiences with certain manufacturers... I think the OEM parts are junk ... just like the wheel nuts!

Rotors: Raybestos? ACdelco? Centric?
Pads: Raybestos? Bendix? Wagner? Monroe? Akebono? Centric?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Midnight Blue Limited Hemi Commander - K&N Drop-In Filter - Dynomax Muffler - Yakima Roof Basket - Real 17" Chrome Jeep wheels - Alpine D310 DVD/MP3 HeadUnit w/ widescreen headrest screens - Boston Acoustic amp/speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster009 View Post
So @ 47k it looks like my XK needs a rear rotor and pad replacement. Rotors are just about at the minimum thickness spec ... The fronts seem to have a bit more left.

Anyone have good experiences with certain manufacturers... I think the OEM parts are junk ... just like the wheel nuts!

Rotors: Raybestos? ACdelco? Centric?
Pads: Raybestos? Bendix? Wagner? Monroe? Akebono? Centric?
Brakes are still good on my 2000 Honda Prelude I replaced myself. Lifetime warranty on both pads and rotors . I installed all Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic brake pads, and rotors. I'm looking forward to puttin on some on the XK when that time comes. It's all about peace of mind. Wagner has my two thumbs up...

Join us on Facebook @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Points: 4,505, Level: 42 Points: 4,505, Level: 42 Points: 4,505, Level: 42
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

ive used brembo blanks and powerstop on my other vehicles before and like them. also used PBR pads with no problems. just put some brembo blanks with akebono pads on my v6 altima a couple weeks ago and like them so far.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

Just put Raybestos Advanced technology rotors and pads on all four corners - $330 delivered through Rockauto.com. very happy with the quality - have driven 20 miles, so we'll have to see re: longevity.

Last edited by dhartlein; 02-22-2009 at 08:12 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Just ordered Centric Rotors and EBC Green pads for all 4 corners. I had power slots/hawk installed on my 02' Ram and that aftermarket combo proved to be worth EVERY cent...i could actually stop that truck while in traffic! We'll see how this combo does on the wifes commander.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Points: 1,888, Level: 25 Points: 1,888, Level: 25 Points: 1,888, Level: 25
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

I was just told by my dealer that I need new rear pads and rotors as well. My JC is at 48K. I called a local auto shop and they wanted almost $425 to replace the rear pads and rotors. Does that seem high? Also, my brakes are not making any strange noises, so I know they are not eating into the rotors, is it necessary to replace the rotor or can I just replace the pads?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

If you don't hear the pads grinding on the rotors, then I would say just replace the pads. Here is a website that sells Mopar parts for a reasonable price (They are a dealer).
http://www.justforjeeps.com/wkgrchpa.html

What year is your GC?

Also, as long as your rotors are not warped, then just leave me alone.

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpriley75 View Post
I was just told by my dealer that I need new rear pads and rotors as well. My JC is at 48K. I called a local auto shop and they wanted almost $425 to replace the rear pads and rotors. Does that seem high? Also, my brakes are not making any strange noises, so I know they are not eating into the rotors, is it necessary to replace the rotor or can I just replace the pads?
IF.....you are not experiencing any brake pulsation and IF the rotor has no metal to metal damage on the friction faces, it is OK to simply replace the pads.
The new pads will conform to the wear pattern on the rotors within about 100 miles.
Yeah, I know. To us old timers this is blasphemy!
But, that comes right out of the book.
Be certain that the rotor thickness is still in spec. AND this applys only if using the original equipment pads as replacement.
I have done the above quite successfully on previous vehicles.

HOWEVER, since your vehicle is not in front of me and I am unable to road test, see, or measure anything, I would recommend you replace the rotors, and these can be procured rather inexpensively through the aftermarket.
Brake pads are your choice with new rotors but avoid going cheap.
You get exactly what you paid for when it comes to pads.

I have found that once a rotors faces have been cut to parellel they have a tendancy to warp because they are now just short of minimum thickness, hence the buy new recommendation.

$425.00??.....Well, assuming that is for two rotors, rear pads, labor and tax, which is currently 11% in Crook County in Chicago limit, or about $40.00 just for tax, or $375.00 without tax, the estimate is not unreasonable.

I'm sure I stirred up a real hornets nest with that first paragraph, but hell, we all needed something new to debate this week, right?

Good Luck,
Rob

|
|
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I replaced my rear rotors and pads last month and the total cost was around $200 dollars. I purchased everything from Napa and got the Priemium rotors and semi ceramic pads if I remember correctly. No squeaks, no problems. Soon ill have to replace the front rotors and pads.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
I replaced my rear rotors and pads last month and the total cost was around $200 dollars. I purchased everything from Napa and got the Priemium rotors and semi ceramic pads if I remember correctly. No squeaks, no problems. Soon ill have to replace the front rotors and pads.
I wonder if there's a complete DIY guide for replacing both pads and rotors on front/rear axles....anyone care to help?

Join us on Facebook @

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in