Few Questions - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Few Questions

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about my commander and I really donít know where each of them would best be situated so I grouped them all here. I apologize if this is the incorrect method.

I recently upgraded to a 2006 3.7L Jeep Commander and Iím loving it. However the basic 36month/60000km warranty has expired but I still have the 5yr/100000km power train warranty. The question I have for the Canadian members and American (if you guys can help me also) is how much an extended warranty will cost?

Also I noticed that when you pop open the hood and look down, left of the radiator there looks to be a leak coming from two of the hoses. Iím not too sure if itís related to the transmission or if itís the power steering coolant but it does seem to be leaking, does anyone have any ideas?

Another issue is a small knocking type sound that seems to be coming from underneath. I took it to a friend who worked at a Ford dealership and he mentioned it could be the front stabilizers but when he got under and looked at it he didnít think it was that. Sometimes itís a clicking sound when Iím turning on bumpy ice (Edmonton, Alberta roads are bad in winter) but I donít know from what. Anyone have any suggestions?

Once again I apologize if this post is totally in the wrong area and that Iím new to these forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,244, Level: 100 Points: 59,244, Level: 100 Points: 59,244, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 91% Activity: 91% Activity: 91%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish View Post
Another issue is a small knocking type sound that seems to be coming from underneath. I took it to a friend who worked at a Ford dealership and he mentioned it could be the front stabilizers but when he got under and looked at it he didnít think it was that. Sometimes itís a clicking sound when Iím turning on bumpy ice (Edmonton, Alberta roads are bad in winter) but I donít know from what. Anyone have any suggestions?
Probably your traction control working.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100

Own a Commander?: No
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Quote:
Also I noticed that when you pop open the hood and look down, left of the radiator there looks to be a leak coming from two of the hoses. Iím not too sure if itís related to the transmission or if itís the power steering coolant but it does seem to be leaking

What colour and consistancy if the leaking fluid?

Quote:
itís a clicking sound when Iím turning on bumpy ice (Edmonton, Alberta roads are bad in winter) but I donít know from what.
If you are accelerating or beaking when it sounds ... it's for sure the automatic traction control .. it usually sounds like a shuddering or rapid vibrating from one of the wheels.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

A common leak, is the rubber sections of the trans cooler lines. Which is just below the radiator, on the right side. Their are 2, which are right next to each other. I live in Michigan, and have noticed alot more noise, from the front suspension, during the winter. At times, you would think something is loose.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

The fluid and consistency of the leaking fluid looks like it could actually be the trans cooler line that is leaking as Motorcity said. As for the knocking/clicking sound thats coming i dont think its the traction control as this morning i was driving on dry pavement and went over a bump, nothing major but enough to have the shocks absorb it, and i could hear a rattle type sound coming from underneath. Just cant determine though what it could be. A person here at work says that their 05 Cheeroke has hard shocks when its really cold out side, could that be my issue to possibly? Maybe with the bushings?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Just an update, took it to the dealer today and they said it was the transmission coolent line that was leaking, and that its not covered by the powertrain warranty and said that the part is about $100 and with labour im looking at about $600 total. I said that i would get the part myself, and change it on my own (actually someone i know that does that kinda of stuff). Kinda sucks that thats only covered by the 3yr/60k warranty.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Points: 1,633, Level: 23 Points: 1,633, Level: 23 Points: 1,633, Level: 23
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about my commander and I really donít know where each of them would best be situated so I grouped them all here. I apologize if this is the incorrect method.

I recently upgraded to a 2006 3.7L Jeep Commander and Iím loving it. However the basic 36month/60000km warranty has expired but I still have the 5yr/100000km power train warranty. The question I have for the Canadian members and American (if you guys can help me also) is how much an extended warranty will cost?

Also I noticed that when you pop open the hood and look down, left of the radiator there looks to be a leak coming from two of the hoses. Iím not too sure if itís related to the transmission or if itís the power steering coolant but it does seem to be leaking, does anyone have any ideas?

Once again I apologize if this post is totally in the wrong area and that Iím new to these forums.
Hey there I had the exact same leak! Front passenger side connected to the radiator. I took it in for service and it was a hose that needed to be replaced which was leaking transmission fluid. I want to say it was connected to the transducer but I think that was a star trek episode. Tran something but not transfer case or transmission. Mine is fixed and I have had no further problems. The mechanic said that our cold climates often cause these hoses to leak and I can expect to replace them every once in a while.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100

Own a Commander?: No
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
There's GOT to be a braided stainless steel after market hose for that?

I put a HydroVac breaking system on a pick up once that used the power steering pump as the power assist ... I had trouble with the lines and got full thickness hydraulic lines made up ... they last forever and werew not that expensive.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Points: 1,633, Level: 23 Points: 1,633, Level: 23 Points: 1,633, Level: 23
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

If you find some let me know, the rubber ones get too brittle in the cold weather as you know.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, i heard from a lot of people that its a common problem with Chrysler's but its all good. My dad is a manager of a body shop so we are gonna replace it ourself tomorrow. Due to my dad knowing someone at the dealer i got the part for only 60. Kinda sucks but guess it was leaking before i had purchased the vehicle. Im probably going to have to take it in to the dealer still due to the fact that they will need to check the transmission level as i dont have a dipstick. I hope they dont grill me money if they are the only ones that can check the transmission fluid level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in