rear diff takedown, cleaning, fluid replaceent - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Points: 9,702, Level: 66 Points: 9,702, Level: 66 Points: 9,702, Level: 66
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

rear diff takedown, cleaning, fluid replaceent

with pics

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/diff-1.htm

I think stuff might be the best rtv for this application---any imput?

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...tv_sealant.htm

'06 silver 4.7 4x4, 2" Rough Country lift, 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 17 x 8.5 MB V-Drive wheels, AEM Brute Force CAI, Optima Red Top, Bilstein HD struts up front, and a couple really cool stickers that add somewhere between 10-13 HP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Danny; 07-08-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
with pics

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/diff-1.htm

I think stuff might be the best rtv for this application---any imput?

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...tv_sealant.htm
I use a different product by Permatex called "the Right Stuff Gasket Maker" and have had no leaks what so ever. Thats even with using friction additive in the rear differential.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
I use a different product by Permatex called "the Right Stuff Gasket Maker" and have had no leaks what so ever. Thats even with using friction additive in the rear differential.
So you have taken your rear diff apart to drain and fill? That work/service order pic I posted in that other thread was unclear to me whether or not they took mine down and cleaned it properly or just drained/filled.

I wondered the same about the transmission b/c the cost wasn't THAT much, but since I see they charged me for the two filters I suppose they MUST have taken the pan down and cleaned it.

'06 silver 4.7 4x4, 2" Rough Country lift, 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 17 x 8.5 MB V-Drive wheels, AEM Brute Force CAI, Optima Red Top, Bilstein HD struts up front, and a couple really cool stickers that add somewhere between 10-13 HP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Danny; 07-08-2009 at 05:01 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
So you have taken your rear diff apart to drain and fill? That work/service order pic I posted in that other thread was unclear to me whether or not they took mine down and cleaned it properly or just drained/filled.

I wondered the same about the transmission b/c the cost wasn't THAT much, but since I see they charged me for the two filters I suppose they MUST have taken the pan down and cleaned it.
Yes, I take the differential cover of and drain the fluid completely. I think the dealer uses a machine to suck the fluid out of the fill hole.

As for the Transmission, they had to have taken the pan off since they replaced the filters for you.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
Yes, I take the differential cover of and drain the fluid completely. I think the dealer uses a machine to suck the fluid out of the fill hole.

As for the Transmission, they had to have taken the pan off since they replaced the filters for you.
What kind of transmission fluid do you have in yours? Anyone have full synthetic? I am a little confused about something. The guy at the dealer said something about it taking like 14 quarts, but that if I changed the fluid I could not get all of the old one out to change it all to full synthetic. What was he talking about?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

I have a question. Once you line the cover lip with the sealant and put it back on, wont tightening the screws cause some sealant to squeeze/ooze INTO the housing? I mean, you can wipe off excess from the outside where it oozes out, but will it mess anything up on the inside?
Also, typically, how much of a tube of the sealant does it take?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
What kind of transmission fluid do you have in yours? Anyone have full synthetic? I am a little confused about something. The guy at the dealer said something about it taking like 14 quarts, but that if I changed the fluid I could not get all of the old one out to change it all to full synthetic. What was he talking about?
Im still running the stock fluid since I haven't done any service to my transmission yet. I know the transmissions take a lot of fluid. I think what he was refering to is if you just take off the transmission pan its not going to get all of the fluid out of the transmission. There will still be fluid in the lines, torque converter and other parts of the transmission. So basically you would be mixing stock oil with synthetic. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Quote:
I have a question. Once you line the cover lip with the sealant and put it back on, wont tightening the screws cause some sealant to squeeze/ooze INTO the housing? I mean, you can wipe off excess from the outside where it oozes out, but will it mess anything up on the inside?
Depending on how much RTV you put on the cover it mostlikely will get a little inside. It wont harm anything in the inside. So you dont have to worry about that.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

[quote=07JeepXK;125154]I think what he was refering to is if you just take off the transmission pan its not going to get all of the fluid out of the transmission. There will still be fluid in the lines, torque converter and other parts of the transmission. So basically you would be mixing stock oil with synthetic. Thats the only thing I can think of.

[quote]

Well that sucks, lol. How are we spozed to get our trans' filled with ALL synthetic?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=Danny;125192][quote=07JeepXK;125154]I think what he was refering to is if you just take off the transmission pan its not going to get all of the fluid out of the transmission. There will still be fluid in the lines, torque converter and other parts of the transmission. So basically you would be mixing stock oil with synthetic. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Quote:

Well that sucks, lol. How are we spozed to get our trans' filled with ALL synthetic?

Well I plan on just using the Mopar ATF +4. It seems to be an extremely good fluid.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Quote:
When the sealant squeezes out on the outside or inside, it still stays in tact to the cover. It doesn't fall off or break free of it unless you wipe it. That is why it doesn't cause any damage.

2006 Silver Jeep Commander Limited 4X4 - 5.7L Hemi, Quadra Drive II, Navigation System, Chrome Fuel Door, Sunroof, Rusty's 2" Lift Kit, Moto Metal M0950 Rims, Goodyear Silent Armor 255/70/17, Front Skid Plate, 4XGuard Belly Skid Plate, RR Supersliders, Chrome Front Tow Hooks, AEM Brute Force Intake, and WeatherTech Floorliners. See Pics
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in