Any trails close to Chicago - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Trail Runs / Meet & Greets This section is to set up trail runs / meet & greets and other Commander events. Meet fellow members and get to know the faces behind the keyboard!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Any trails close to Chicago

Been searching for a while now for some trails near Chicago. Nothing high skill level, just somewhere close to get away with the Commander for a few hours. Even if its just a few humps and bumps.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

The Cliffs in Marseilles just west on I-80 can be kinda wild but in the fall if/when it dries out is a good time to take the XK there.

The Badlands in Attica, IN is a great place. They have something for everyone. A bunch of us got together and went earlier in the year. There is a pic thread somewhere on the forum.

There is also the Mounds in Michigan. I've never been but several other forum members seem to like it. I believe there is a group going sometime soon. Check the social groups for more info.

Those are the ones I'm familiar with.

06 Sport-4.7L with QT2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_PIKL View Post
Been searching for a while now for some trails near Chicago. Nothing high skill level, just somewhere close to get away with the Commander for a few hours. Even if its just a few humps and bumps.

Thanks!
Ha-Ha,
Comon neighbor.....the humps and bumps we have here are our own [removed] (fill in blanks) excuses for streets. They're called roads, visitors call em off roading.
Like JCoulter said...those places are about all we have.
Your only hope is the snow piles in parking lots that will be available after November LOL.
Remember the Illinois Government saying...We're not happy till your not happy.
Our friendly state has no provisions for ORV areas.....might cost money that was to go to some politician.
Yep....Illinois has turned me into a bitter old guy over the last few years.

Stepping down,
Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Points: 4,366, Level: 42 Points: 4,366, Level: 42 Points: 4,366, Level: 42
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

There is a site that lists all the different off-road parks. Google off-road parks. I believe there are a couple on the southwest side of Michigan. There is another Mounds trip in the works details are being worked out. It would probably be a 4 or 5 hour drive for you, but it is a great place to go and get dirty. They will be posted in the Michigan Commanders Social group page.

Old Rides: 2007 Black XK Sport 4.7 L: Totalled:
2006 Light Graystone XK Limited Hemi : Traded-in
New Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger R/T

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.
Prof. Albert Einstein
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Thanks Robby for reminding me how bad our roads are, drove into work this morning (downtown) if you add some mud on LSD that would be an awesome trail

I'll have to check out The Cliffs, have to get the XK dirty its too clean. Are their any Chicago meets, or tri-state meets?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Also try four wheel drive clubs, Northern Illinois.
There are several.....but their focus is primarily Wrangler.

Kind of disappointing.

Rob

BTW Awsome idea for modifying LSD.
If we wait long enouph, it will become necessary to navigate it with a Commander anyway.......maybe this spring after the salters get done breaking it up.

Rob

|
|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I can vouch for The Cliffs - truely an "insane terrain" park. I came away with a bit of damage, mostly easily repaired.

Wisconsin (at least southeastern) is not much better than IL in regards to available terrain. Both states need to move ahead with OHV sticker programs to allow the use of ATV trails of which there are many.

If you feel like heading towards Eau Claire WI you can explore a bit on the Jackson County Forest "roads". About 2 hours northwest from Madison off of I94.

Brendon

07 Limited, Hemi, factory skid plates (dented and scratched
), 4XGuard rock rails, OME HD springs and shocks, Spidertrax, Goodyear Dura Trac 245/70-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Trail Runs / Meet & Greets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in