Colorado - Sept 16th through the 24th - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Trail Runs / Meet & Greets This section is to set up trail runs / meet & greets and other Commander events. Meet fellow members and get to know the faces behind the keyboard!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Colorado - Sept 16th through the 24th

Hey fellow XK owners. I am making a road trip out to Colorado in September. I am arriving on Thursday, Sept 16th and leaving the state on Friday, Sept 24th. I thought it would be a great time to get together with one or more of you for some off roading. I am going to pass through the following areas: Breckenridge, Winter Park, Nederland, Steamboat Springs and Estes Park. If anyone has some spare time or wants to put together a little trip, please post below!

Hope to hear from you!

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, NAV, 2.25" Rocky Road Lift, AEV 17 x 8.5" Pintler Rims with +10mm offset, Goodyear Silent Armor 265/70/17's, 4xGuard Matrix and grill hoop, PIAA 525 dual beam auxiliary lights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Full skid plates, Tinted fronts, Rear hitch shackle, Yakima bike carrier, Thule Atlantis 1800 roof carrier.
Current Wish list: 4xGuard Front Skid Plate, Rear tire carrier?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Colroado Trip

If anyone is interested in getting a group together, chime in. I am happy to coordinate it and take your input as well.

Thanks!

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, NAV, 2.25" Rocky Road Lift, AEV 17 x 8.5" Pintler Rims with +10mm offset, Goodyear Silent Armor 265/70/17's, 4xGuard Matrix and grill hoop, PIAA 525 dual beam auxiliary lights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Full skid plates, Tinted fronts, Rear hitch shackle, Yakima bike carrier, Thule Atlantis 1800 roof carrier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Points: 3,126, Level: 34 Points: 3,126, Level: 34 Points: 3,126, Level: 34
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

I will be camping in Northern Colorado the 17th-20th so that weekend is busy for me...people are welcome to come up my way to trail ride. There are several roads in the area with tons of aspen, many more are visible now that the forest service or someone is cutting out the bettle kill.
Otherwise I would be open to taking off a Wed. or Thurs following to ride (all depending on my work load).

Come on I know there is more than Just Mall Crawlers from Colorado registered on this site, Can't tell me that no one else takes advantage of this awesome state we have here....Chime in Fellas!

If anything head up my way near Gould. We'd love to hang out and add more to the party. Four wheelin, dirt biking, fishing and Bar-B-Q

2007 Sport 4.7 liter Red Rock Crystal Pearlcoat
Old Man Emu HD-265/70/17

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Hey NO MATTER,

I don't know if I will be up there during that time. It looks like I will be in the Breckenridge area on the 18th and 19th running trails with another forum member. Check out the link of one of the trails he wants to run:

http://www.mycolorado.org/images/saints_john/index.htm

If you are able to take another day off on Wed, count me in. What part of the state do you reside in?

Anyone else out there in jeepcommander.com land that may want to run with us? It would be fun to get a small group of XK's together! Come on guys and gals. Get off the paved road, you have a Jeep after all!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I would be interested in going with you on the 18th or 19th on saints john. Maybe I can get off Friday the 17th to do something around Nederland, fairly close to Denver where I am at. Let me know what you think.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

That would be great. I have sent you my email address via Private Message. Anyone else want to get in? I will also be there all of the next week if you can sneak away then instead of the Friday. I think I am busy with a friend out there on Friday.......... Give yourself a Tues or Wed off, you deserve it!

Have you ever run the Red Cone trail in Bailey? Apparently most 4x4 vehicles can make that trail if you have the balls. I'm not sure it I do, but let me know if you have heard about that trail. It doesn't look too difficult, just a little hairy especially coming down that hill.........

Unfortunately, this is the only footage I could find of that trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IspN...eature=related

No seriously, the trail does not look very technical from what I have read, but my issue with heights would let me test my nerves a bit. I can overcome that though. Here is the best video of the worst part of the descent that I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QijaLScLfQ If a couple of hippies in an old Wrangler can do it, we could, right?

I don't want to scare anyone off though. I've never done that steep of a descent in my XK, but I think 4 Lo in the XK would get it done. I don't need to go on a trail like this to have fun. I would be up for something more tame if it gets more people out on the trail.

Last edited by OnATrail; 08-22-2010 at 10:25 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Red Cone is one of the coolest trails on Earth. Getting up to the top takes a couple hours minimum as it's pretty rocky, but taking time to pick good lines keeps steel off rock and it's really not too bad. Once at the top, the view is epic. It's not often enjoyed much for first timers because of the anxiety of the fast approaching moment of no return... The descent is alarmingly steep. If you're a skier, it's like looking down a slope that descends out of sight, that is, you can't see the bottom from the top. It's a one way trail once you start down the hill, the powers that be don't like people attempting to climb back up. It's easy to stay on the trail and by keeping your momentum next to zero, it's actually a leisurely drive to the bottom. And you'll be amazed at how much assistance your seatbelt gives holding you in your seat! The reason it's classified as such a dangerous trail is if you do happen to really screw up and roll down the south face, you won't stop for about 1,400 feet. I don't think that's happened in years, though. It's all about trusting your own ability, in this case to drive slow and straight, and trusting your Jeep. Low range isn't quite low enough, but a light assist on the brakes keeps things slow. I've been over it on dirt bikes since 1983. My first actual trip over Red Cone in a Jeep was with my Commander in August of 2008. If we decide to switch (oh, I'm the "other forum member") to this trail, I won't be disappointed! My brother won't let us run it without him though, so we'd probably have a '98 ZJ going along with us. I will say this - a 2" lift and 265/70's greatly decrease the times you will tag either diffs or sliders on the way up, where there are occasional challenging lines. The hill (descent) itself is splintered shale and will not present any clearance issues.

Heading up to Red Cone, summit is upper left of photo. The scary south face is the reddish hill you see descending from the summit.

My XK approaching the summit.

Summit: 12,801 feet ASL.

Trail drops out of sight.

Fun!

The Lev-O-Gage showing about 25 degrees nose down. Doesn't sound like much, but it gets your attention.

Down at the bottom on the west side of Webster Pass. Heaven on Earth.

From here, an easy drive to Montezuma and Keystone.

06 Limited, 4"SL+SSR, Deaver front coils, 285 KM2's, winch, GL bumper, AFE, FM50 - SOLD July,2012...

Last edited by kmax; 08-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Points: 3,126, Level: 34 Points: 3,126, Level: 34 Points: 3,126, Level: 34
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

NO FAIR
I wanna do Red Cone,I was going to a few weeks ago but did'nt have someone to follow me up so went to Kingston instead. lookin gover some of the trip reports looks like a spotter is required for some spots?
That trail is the one everyone raves about!
When I read your post about going to St John I was going to suggest Red Cone since its right there...oh well

2007 Sport 4.7 liter Red Rock Crystal Pearlcoat
Old Man Emu HD-265/70/17

Last edited by NO MATTER; 08-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Alas, I'm back in South Carolina now. Would love to take the Commander over Red Cone again.

I do hear that they've done even more smoothing out of the hair-raising ridges coming down, though.

Mike

2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red with Saddle Brown seats, QDII, and all the goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit (formerly BDS
), B.F. Goodrich 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" wheel spacers), Aries
, AVS ventvisors, 4xGuard
, 4xGuard
, 4xGuard
with receiver mount, and a
in a pear tree.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Some pics of Red Cone added above...

06 Limited, 4"SL+SSR, Deaver front coils, 285 KM2's, winch, GL bumper, AFE, FM50 - SOLD July,2012...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Trail Runs / Meet & Greets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in