Anyone going to Moab this spring? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Trail Runs / Meet & Greets This section is to set up trail runs / meet & greets and other Commander events. Meet fellow members and get to know the faces behind the keyboard!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Anyone going to Moab this spring?

I'm ready to head to Moab come about late April or May. (Depending of good weather) I'm thinking the Commander really needs to be tried out on the White Rim trail.

If anyone here has ever seen this place... it's a ways in on the White Rim road, or at least the lead-in to it. The red Ford was what we had then, and it pulled a large travel trailer. The F-350 diesel was like driving in there in a Kenworth. 5 MPH was max while everything bounced around. F-350 diesel trucks are good for a lot of things, but off-road on slickrock is NOT one of those things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Great picture! Yes, the little woman and I are planning on taking the Commander there this spring. It'll be my first time to Moab so I'm going to keep it on the easier trails. A few minutes ago I ordered a guidebook online. The Rubicon might do better on the trails but the trip to and from will surely be more comfortable in the Commander.

'08 Commander Overland, QD II, Hemi, Bright Silver, 17" Chrome Clad Wheels, Rear entertainment w TV, Block heater, 100% stock and staying that way.
'04 Rubicon, Yellow, 100% stock and staying that way.

I'm thankful I had so much to lose:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Norm; 01-10-2009 at 09:28 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

There's a pretty nice RV park called ''Arch View'' just north of the Arches N.P. entrance. It's also just about across from the Canyon Lands entrance road... the one that leads to Dead Horse Point. That's probably where we'll go this time too.

I wasn't planning on extreme trails either, especially with the family in the Jeep. One road I was thinking about leads off sorta' north right from Balanced Rock, in Arches. It got too sandy for the Ford diesel, (spring hop and a front end that weighs more than a Commander!) and some turns on slickrock was too tight for the longbed extended cab. We turned around waaaaaaay short of where I wanted too, but I was too worried about getting stuck. It's just begging for a retry in the Commander.

Another fun road takes off past the salt plant. I'll have to look at the map again, but that road follows the river west past a wall of petroglyphs. It's a FANTASTIC drive even before the pavement ends. After the pavement, it winds onwards for miles, down in the lower area of dead Horse Point. It also branches off everywhere, between rock fins etc.

One thing on the list is another 'pilgrimage' up to Delicate Arch. That's the coolest hiking trail ever, although I think the signs are lying when they say ''Delicate Arch 1.5 miles.'' It feels like 3 miles.

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds fun! I've been looking at trail ratings and checking out the trails via some videos on youtube and I'm convinced the Rubicon would be preferable on trails rated #3 or 3 1/2. I am pretty sure I wouldn't take my stock Rubi on trails rated 4 and above. I think I'll keep the brand new Commander on #2 trails and easy stuff and see how things go.

'08 Commander Overland, QD II, Hemi, Bright Silver, 17" Chrome Clad Wheels, Rear entertainment w TV, Block heater, 100% stock and staying that way.
'04 Rubicon, Yellow, 100% stock and staying that way.

I'm thankful I had so much to lose:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

one of these days i wanna take a month off and go see all the top wheeling spots

A.K.A SNOWMANDER

2006 Dark Khaki Commander:

<-Clicky

<-Clicky
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

Here's a nice photo of Moab.

HT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1998.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	1936  

Last edited by a49erFan; 03-29-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: enlarged photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Trail Runs / Meet & Greets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in