Jeep Commander Forum banner

New here and just bought a 2006 5.7

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  DesertJK 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I just joined and this is my first post.

I just put some money down on a 2006 Commander with 95K miles on it. Got it for 14K. Seemed like a good deal, they were asking 19500 for it.

I pick it up Saturday.

The previous owner put very low profile tires and 20" wheels on it. I am a bit of a ******* and can not be seen driving it with those wheels. Plus, my wife (who is also a *******) sells rural real estate and drives on dirt roads everyday.
I want to order what I need ASAP to minimize the amount of driving I do on these wheels

I have used Old Man Emu stuff back when I was into Land Rovers and loved it.
I want to do the Heavy Duty springs front and rear. I have read a few posts here about them, and they seem like exactly what I need. I will also be towing a 1900 pound empty, and up to 6500 pound loaded trailer. It usually has a tongue weight of about 150 to 200 pounds.

Everywhere I look, all that is out there are the OME medium and light springs. Are the heavy's all gone and not made because the commander is no longer made? If so, what other options do I have?

I want to do the springs, wheels, and tires all at the same time, and soon.

I have found some wheels with 5.5" back spacing. I will probably run some 255/70/17 all terrains. I wont need anything more aggressive, and if I do, I will just drive my 2008 JK Rubicon that is very built. This will be my wifes rig to take clients to rural property, tow our trailer, and to get us over the pass to the other side of Washington in the winter. Don't care about the mileage that much either. Wife has a Mini, and I ride a motorcycle unless there is ice on the road or it is over 100 degrees outside.

I am having a bit of buyers remorse too. I have not picked up the truck yet, but I gave them $500 to hold it for me. Now I am questioning the logic of buying something that is no longer made, and seems to not be well supported. But on the other hand, I love Jeeps and would buy an old Grand Wagoneer if I though an older rig would work for the wife. It won't, and the Commander is the closest thing to one.

So, welcome me to the group by telling me I didn't pay too much, and giving me a clue as to where to get the OME heavy duty springs.

David in Yakima WA

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! As far as the springs go, they use medium and light for the WK and medium and heavy for the XK. If your going to purchase the OME lift you can't go wrong, just get it through steelarmadillo or crawloffroad. They are listed as heavy duty on those sites I believe. As for the wheels, how wide are the ones your looking at? 5.5 would be perfect for a 9" wide wheel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Y...t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=101016&t_pn=BRW908B785545

I am looking at these, but I just realized that they may have too little back spacing. I do not want my tires to stick out past the fenders at all. The cops around here do not even look at that sort of thing, but my wife drives down mud roads all spring, dressed like a lady who sells real estate. When she drive my JK with 35's, she almost always gets mud on her clothes, and worse, clients get mud on them. Not exactly the way to sell city people a vacation home.

I am open to other wheels, they just have to be black, simple, and have exposed lug nuts. For some reason we decided to have only silver vehicles (at least the land based, 4 wheeled ones) with black wheels and black trim. The JK is all silver and black, and I have a silver and black custom toy hauler built for dirt roads with 31" all terrains and black diamond plate trim.

Some time soon I will find the right Gladiator or J10 truck to fix up, and paint it silver.

#6 ·
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Y...t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=101016&t_pn=BRW908B785545

I am looking at these, but I just realized that they may have too little back spacing. I do not want my tires to stick out past the fenders at all. The cops around here do not even look at that sort of thing, but my wife drives down mud roads all spring, dressed like a lady who sells real estate. When she drive my JK with 35's, she almost always gets mud on her clothes, and worse, clients get mud on them. Not exactly the way to sell city people a vacation home.

I am open to other wheels, they just have to be black, simple, and have exposed lug nuts. For some reason we decided to have only silver vehicles (at least the land based, 4 wheeled ones) with black wheels and black trim. The JK is all silver and black, and I have a silver and black custom toy hauler built for dirt roads with 31" all terrains and black diamond plate trim.

Some time soon I will find the right Gladiator or J10 truck to fix up, and paint it silver.

Those wheels wont work anyways ccause our bolt pattern is 5x5 (5x127) not 5x5.5. They do sell them in 5x5 but another member here im pretty sure is running the same exact wheels and they didnt clear the brake caliper when he put them on. He had to get custom 1/4 wheel spacers made. 07jeepxk!!!! Chime in!!!

#4 ·
My JK the first summer I had it, before it grew up and got big tires. This trip was epic. We crossed the USA using as few paved roads as possible, and rarely went on interstates. There are a lot of great towns and people out there when you get away from the big highways.
Hope to do more of this in the Commander. I started a new career (at 43) recently and am pretty engrossed in it for a while, but I get good vacation time, and am hoping to explore either Baja, or the southern USA next spring with the Commander towing this trailer. I will bring my KTM, or a trials bike in the trailer too.

#5 ·
Here is the Commander I bought. The wheels need to go. At least I know it hasn't been abused off road (yet) and the lack of a hitch means it has not towed anything (yet)

#7 ·
The wheels came up under Commander when I used the finder function. I probably will not buy the online anyways. I will go to my local tire store and pick some that look like those. I like keeping my money local, and it always helps if you have an emergency and need to get squeezed in later to have spent some money there in the past. As long as I get simple, black wheels in the size and offset, I don't care what brand.

Pretty sure I am getting the OME HD kit. At 95K, this thing will need shock anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.