Why Don't Chrysler Fix The Tyre Problem - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,209, Level: 28 Points: 2,209, Level: 28 Points: 2,209, Level: 28
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Why Don't Chrysler Fix The Tyre Problem

I just sit here in wonder as to why Chrysler don't do something about the tyre size on the Commander? Why have a car with such a good 4 X 4 drive train and hamper it by limiting it to on road tyres. If they are going to continue with the Commander why not make the modifications required to enable the fitting of sensible size tyres. 90% of the threads on this and all other sites are to do with suspension lifts and maximum tyre sizes.
Well this is a bigger issue in Australia because all the mainstream 4 x 4 eg Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi make up 90% of the SUV market here and they use a minimum of 265 x 65 x 17. If you have a puncture in the middle of nowhere this is the only 17" tyre you can get. Why can't Jeep make the car accept sensible tyres? Or make 2 versions one offroad orientated and one on road . It seems stupid to have a great diesel engine and quadra drive system that digs holes and buries itself because of small tyres. That might be funny in U.S.A but it can mean an outback death in Australia.
Also why should the consumer have to spend so much time and money fixing what should have been done at the design stage. Apparently the Commander is going to be continued, as it should, I for one would hope the Chrysler design people take heed of the forum feedback and sort out the front suspension to take larger tyres. If they don't all they are doing is going down the same path of despair as they were before, I don't think it is a lot to ask for.
Also why is it on the Jeep home page, there is not anywhere to give feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd
Also why is it on the Jeep home page, there is not anywhere to give feedback.
http://www-5.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp?screenName=customer&country=us&emailUrl= goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29
If you would like to talk to us about product concerns or dealer issues, please contact us. Be sure to have your vehicle identification number (VIN) and current mileage on the odometer ready OR include with your correspondence.
You may also want to contact us with general questions or comments.

http://www-5.jeep.com/wccsapp/universal/J/index.jsp?appStr=wccs&titleStr=Contact+Jeep&family Str=brand&franchise=J&actionURL=%2Fwccs%2Fbrand_fo rms%2Fus%2Fwebform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U

Contact Us by Telephone
1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-6:00PM EST

Contact Us by Mail:
Chrysler Group LLC Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 08-27-2009 at 10:17 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Hello Jeep5253.
This exemplifies exactly what I was saying. I tried the links and after spending a large amount of time structuring a request to Jeep and typing it in(which is not my forte) I press the send (go) button. Guess what it won't accept a phone number from Australia or a Australian zip code, absolute waste of time.
I am not having a go just getting extremely frustrated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
Hello Jeep5253.
This exemplifies exactly what I was saying. I tried the links and after spending a large amount of time structuring a request to Jeep and typing it in(which is not my forte) I press the send (go) button. Guess what it won't accept a phone number from Australia or a Australian zip code, absolute waste of time.
I am not having a go just getting extremely frustrated.
Just make up a phone # and tell them in your text it's not your #.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
I totally agree with you, the tire is undersized and even the space around the tire is not enough to fit a good size in a stock suspension.

Also the ground clearance is not enough for such 4x4

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jeep5253,
I tried that it didn't work and more to the point you shouldn't have to make up a number. The company should ensure their website facilitates customer feedback. It is obvious that it is either an oversight on Chryslers part or they are not interested in feedback. When I purchased a Land Rover and also a VW both companies sent a questionaire for owner feedback. One only has to read the various forums to realise there are major issues with the wheel rim backspace and the standard ride hight. If Chrysler makes these changes the modifications will be legal and therefore customers won't be contravening their insurance and local vehicle registration laws.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I totally agree with you, the tire is undersized and even the space around the tire is not enough to fit a good size in a stock suspension.

Also the ground clearance is not enough for such 4x4
Since I have lifted the XK I have always said that it should have came that height from the factory.

......if only we had wheel well similar to Hummers.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Hello 07jeepXK,
Your list of modifications is exactly what I am talking about, 2"lift and 1.25" spacers to give the desired backspace to fit sensible tyres 265X70X17".
In Australia it is illegal to fit wheel spacers and the maximum legal lift is 2". Also it is illegal to increase the vehicle track by more than 1.5" over the manufacturers specifications. Therefore why don't Chrysler make the Commander fit the requirements for a real 4X4 and make it standard with the 2"lift and the sensible wheel backspace to take normal off road tyres. At present it can only take light duty tyres, heavy duty tyres don't come in the Commander size 245X65X17".
On the other hand they could just make it another in their line up of soft duty recreational vehicles like the Patriot etc. Then they may as well get rid of the Quadra Drive and Low range gearing and while they are at it they may as well raise the roof more and put in a smaller diesel and call it a people mover with attitude. At present that is where it fits, talk about an identity crisis.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Also Jeep 5253, while I am on my soap box, why was it on your first reply you stated "if you would like to talk to us" and then "please contact us". Then in your second reply "just make up a number". It would indicate you are actually involved with Jeep I only hope you take the sugestions back to management and make some positive modifications.
The car has the potential of being a terrific 4X4 but the company has to make a serious decision to develop it as a 4x4 not as a oversized soft roader that uses too much fuel. As a 7 seater 4X4 it must be able to cut it off road or forget it.
Fitting different rims with the same backspace and offset as the A.E.V rims (5.25"and +23mm) and lifting the suspension 2" is not a huge change and at least gives the car a chance of being a viable alternative to the Toyota Prado, Nissan Pathfinder, Mitsubishi Pajero and land Rover Discovery.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I think Jeep5253 was quoting from their website when he wrote "us". He is not affiliated with Chrysler, as far as I know.

That aside, I agree that they should have done more with this vehicle, especially considering the "Trail Rated" badge which mine sports.

Mine with the lift and aggressive tires with spacers does look like the way it should have left the factory; but alas, I believe their target on this one was the soccer mom.

Brendon

07 Limited, Hemi, factory skid plates (dented and scratched
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), 4XGuard rock rails, OME HD springs and shocks, Spidertrax, Goodyear Dura Trac 245/70-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in