My First Question Regarding Our XK - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My First Question Regarding Our XK

After tooling around the Carmax lots here in Maryland, I discovered that most if not all the Commanders we looked at, Both rear tires are more well worn then the front. Matter of fact the front tires even appeared to be new.. But on 9 out of ten Commanders?.

This struck me as odd, One dealership even informed me about what is a legal limit in Maryland for tire wear. But after looking at 4 out of 10 Commanders, all of their rear tires seem to be way beyond this "legal" limit. Almost to the point where I would say "worn out"

Hey I'm not to educated when it comes to allot of "typical" issues about allot of vehicles. But the Penny test proved to be valuable in this instance. First thing I figured was that because its was set up for towing.. that the rear tires had more wear then normal..

No I'm not saying Carmax is cheap or can't be trusted.. Just hit me as odd that most of the Commanders we looked at the rear tires were almost worn out. is this a common issue for those of you who own a commander?.. Do the rear tires wear out faster then the front.. or did someone not rotate the tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

I would find out if these were leased vehicles. In my experience, people who lease vehicles tend not to take care of them. I purchased mine new and have rotated the tires regularly for three years. My original Forteras are rated at 60,000 tread life. I just went over 34,000 and still have 1/2 tread left on all the tires. My spare has never been mounted. I would go back and look at the spare on these vehicles. And, I do tow a boat with my Commander. Hope this answers your question.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Great response..

Granted the Commander was a fleet lease.. but was very well maintained. (appearance wise) the only issue I had was the rear tires.. Not a big deal now.. Just means we'll have to get new tires before the 10,000 - 15,000 mile mark.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Is it possible that all four tires were worn, but only the fronts were replaced because they were worse than the rears? In my experience the fronts wear our first from cornering. Maybe they didn't replace the rears because the dealer felt that there was some tread left and they were trying to save some scratch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Haags..

I totally agree with you on this aspect.. The front tires would have been worn, if not more so worn due to cornering etc.. So I feel that the Auction house place not new tires but simi new tires on the front (acquired from another Commander) and left the rear as is..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I think Haags hit the nail on the head. There has not been anyone on this forum in the past three years complaining about front tires wearing out faster than back tires. The stock Futuras were not the best tires for the Commander and the issue is more tan likely one of tire selection not the vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

How many miles were on the Commander ? I haven't seen any more wear from the front to the rear. I have replaced two fronts from an incident it the trails but my rear Forteras have over 44K on them and they still passed inspection thursday.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

49,000 Miles

Thou the noticeable difference between the front and back just struck me as odd.. Maybe I'm just to aware of this issue. One reason because I'm so aware.. Is that I requested new tires (date code) from Tirerack.com not long ago and have been "religiously" maintaining them.

Yet the tires are new on my jeep wrangler, (General Tire's Grabber AT2 warrantied for 60,000 miles) I was beginning to see some "more then normal wear" on the tires. Thus I have been keeping an eye on and been very picky with any and every tire I purchase.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Points: 1,931, Level: 26 Points: 1,931, Level: 26 Points: 1,931, Level: 26
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

My stock Fortera's are evenly worn to the wear indicator's at 52,000 miles. New tires should be here Wednesday.

2006 Black XK, 4.7L, QTII, OEM skids, Class IV tow package, Front tow hooks,
Rocky Road 2.25" Lift, HD UCA's, Spidertrax Spacers, Cooper Discoverer SST 265/70R17 tires,
D-ring shackle, K&N panel air filter, Champion 7318's, Custom Spare Tire Carrier, Custom Front steel Bumper
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Great to know..

Great Little.. this is a good indication on how much father we may/may not have until new tires are required.. Just don't wife to get caught out in snow.. for the first time in the Commander.. But hell she could handle the Wrangler just fine.

"Me And My Jeep Girl"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in