P245/65R17 Chains - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,141, Level: 50 Points: 6,141, Level: 50 Points: 6,141, Level: 50
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

P245/65R17 Chains

Has anyone actually used chains on P245/65R17 tires? The manual says not to use them for my tire size, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the class "S" chains or had any other experience with chains on the Commander.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I believe that its illegal to use chains in NY.

May I ask what you plan on using chains for? Do you guys get snow down there???

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstrescue View Post
Has anyone actually used chains on P245/65R17 tires? The manual says not to use them for my tire size, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the class "S" chains or had any other experience with chains on the Commander.

Thanks
I suspect, even with those tires, as the chains, due to centrifical (or centrifugal, depending on how you look at it) force, pull away from the tires they will tear hell out of the inner fenders or maybe even snag the upper ball joint stud.
I gotta ask though.....you going ice racing or something?

That would be traction enhancement with a capitol T.....4x4 WITH CHAINS.
YIKES!!!!!

Rob

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
I believe that its illegal to use chains in NY.

May I ask what you plan on using chains for? Do you guys get snow down there???
To answer your questions:

Preparedness when traveling. Heading to WV this weekend to go skiing. WV does well with snow removal (and the Commander does well in the snow), but ice is a different story. Not in the forecast luckily, but weathermen are not know for their accuracy. We use tire chains in the Emergency Services line of work (when I worked in VA), so have always kept them with me/used them on my personal vehicles.

No, we rarely get snow here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I suspect, even with those tires, as the chains, due to centrifical (or centrifugal, depending on how you look at it) force, pull away from the tires they will tear hell out of the inner fenders or maybe even snag the upper ball joint stud.
I gotta ask though.....you going ice racing or something?

That would be traction enhancement with a capitol T.....4x4 WITH CHAINS.
YIKES!!!!!

Rob
Yeah, I think you're right about the chains pulling away. The inner fender is very close and I think it will be an issue.

I like to have them with me when traveling through the mountains. A little extra traction goes a long way when stopping.

Might be a good excuse to get a new set of tires.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

You may want to look at those autosock things. Since it is a "just in case" item and it will be a smoother ride with less chance of damage if you end up having to use them.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

i have concidered chains myself, since we have a lot of snow and ice here sometimes...infact its brewing up at storm now and im about to head out in it with my two wheel drive crown vic with crappy road tires....it needs the chains!

But in the ended i put the money in the tires. I know everyone has there opinion on which tires are the best for each situation. I am hear to voice my opinion that the wrangler silent armors are outstanding in snow AND ICE. i have driven on some very slick road and been insome pretty bad snow situations and have been shocked by those tires.
They are also very good on wet pavement and in mud...but as far as the chains go, i was looking and i never did get the chains cause they will tear up the vehicle.....as robby said...the wont clear past the ball joint stud and i think could even take out the brake lines.
If you have a big lift and large spacers but small tires, it might work...but i haven seen that very often. And any time i have used chains on other vehicles, they have some slack that takes up the space around the tires if you get over 10mph.
THere are some chains that have the diamond pattern that are not supposed to do that...but the standard chains will.

I have hear and seen some test done on the socks.....and they are a gimic....and are basically for 2 wd compact cars to get up the driveway in the winter...BUT the study i saw...they didnt ever work for that.

I would spend the money on some better tires, rather than on repairs for the vehicle.
I know where you are coming from though, cause i had in my head that chains would be good, but i am yet to find a situation where they would have helped more than just having the good tires.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Bump.

My original question:

"Has anyone actually used chains on P245/65R17 tires? The manual says not to use them for my tire size, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the class "S" chains or had any other experience with chains on the Commander."

We've been getting a lot of snow and ice here. Looking for any feedback. Chains would certainly make it easier for my wife to get back and forth to to work. She is a nurse in the ER, so she is expected to be there; and it is normally a 40 minute drive, so in the ice/snow it can take hours.

My other question is anyone using 235/65R17XL tires? The manual says this is the only tire size that works with chains. I need new tires anyway, so I could always change the size. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by hurstrescue; 01-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Just a follow up to my original question. I still have 245/70-17 and used my old set of Peerless heavy duty, non S type, chains for the snow/ice we had here a couple of weeks ago. I did use ratchet tie downs to keep the chains snug and did not have any rubbing, etc. (installed them on the rear tires).
The Commander was unstoppable with the chains. Wife works in the ER and I was easily able to get her there and back.
I drove for several hours picking up other nurses and I was the only vehicle getting around.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	9506
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Another pic

Views:	190
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	9514
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Last one. The iPad would not let me post more than 1 on each reply. Probably user error.
Doesn't look like much snow (it wasn't), but the first bit that hit the streets instantly melted and froze cause ice then covered by a couple inches of snow.

Views:	175
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	9522
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in