Jeep Commander Forum banner

Bad news mtr w/ kevlar

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  USMCMP 
#1 ·
Bad news for anyone with MTR w/ Kevlar! Maybe its just my luck. After off roading today through mud, dirt, sand, rocks, and gravel I gave the XK a little inspection. Everything was fine and I was completely happy with the performance. Only using 4 LO on occasion (pull for maximum pleasure) and the tires pulling me through everything. However, one problem arose.

It appears as if maybe 6 of the outside lugs/tread blocks have been ripped or cut completely off. I have been driving on these tires for 3 weeks! I have no idea how it happened or how Goodyear or 4wheelparts is going to help me. Taking it into 4wheelparts monday. I have read a lot about these tires and other then the kevlar, goodyear used a super secret soft silica/rubber compound. Could it be too soft?

Vandalism? rubbing? rocks? I dont get it.

#2 ·
hopefully these pictures work so u guys can see what I am talking about

Attachments

#3 ·

#4 ·
Did this happen on only one tire or more? If one, where was it mounted?

It could be, if a front tire, that it is rubbing on the pinch weld. In fact, the pinch weld may have cut into it. You need to bend the pinch welds over.

#5 ·
Looking closely at the picture it looks like that tire is on the rear. I could see that running over a sharp rock could do some damage possibly, but I wouldnt think that a rock would cut into so many lugs. Sorry this happened to ya, maybe since they are so new you can get some sort of warrantee and get a replacement.

#6 ·
I would question the material. I think you would see a lot more damage around the knobs that broke off if it was the road/trail that did the damage.

#7 ·
It is the rear passenger side. At 4wheelparts.com these 265/70's cost $$269 a tire. With the suspension fully compressed that tire does rub a little but nothing sharp to cut it, I dont think, on the outside like that. I think it happened passing something sharp or driving over a sharp rock and maybe spinning over it a little cutting those off. I really have no idea. It is the only tire with any type of damage. Other tires dont even have a single small cut into them and obviously travelled over same terrain.

#8 ·
By the way, 4 wheel Parts has an on and off road "no hassle" warranty on their tires for additional cost. Not sure how much. We will see how "no hassle" it is. Also have free lifetime rotations.

#9 ·
Good luck! Let us know.

#12 ·
looks like you sliced it on a body panel at full stuff.... try flexing it out somewhere and check the clearance inside the wheel wells, or just look up in the wheel well with a flashlight and look for rub marks and rubber

to flex it out, just keep your eyes open...

i like loading docks

and fire plugs

#13 · (Edited)
Looking at the progression of the slices and how they are cut I am going to have to say that it is trail damage. There had to be some sharp rock or some other kind of junk where you were wheeling that cut up the tire. Its hard to go anywhere and not find some old rusty piece of steel or broken glass.

#14 ·
Good news! No 4 wheel parts or goodyear warranty supposedly. at any mileage they are considered used. However I was given opportunity to purchase 4 wheel parts on/off road warranty even though I didn't originally. It costs 10% of each tire about $100. They will replace the tire then and not only that. Rather then destroying the perfectly good cosmetically damaged tire they will mount it on my spare. I am paying for it all with the gift card they sent me by the way for poor customer service when placing original order. Since then everything has been great! Being the rear drive tire it was determined probably trail damage. Just spun on something sharp. Great pics though Doc!

#15 ·
Im glad everything worked out for you. I have been running my 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar for over a year now without any problems and I wheel the hell out of my XK. You must have just found a very sharp rock or something to do that damage to the tire.

#17 ·
Doc you were right when you said body panel. I got my new tire and everything and all was good. 07JEEPXK I am surprised you havent had this problem. Do your rears rub at full flex? I opened my rear door. That gave me a good look at the body up close and I could see where the body meets the outside of the rear wheel well. Pretty sharp edge and wish I had a pic for you guys. Hopefully you know where I am talking about. How does everyone else avoid it? Do I need shocks?

#18 ·
I'll have to take a quick look at the rear tires but as far as I know I dont have that problem with the new MT/R's. The last set of MT/R's I definately didnt have that problem. The rears rub a little at full flex but your tires stick out a little farther then mine so maybe thats why you have the problem and i dont. Is there any way you can take a picture of where the tires are coming into contact?

#19 ·
I can get you a pic tomorrow if you want. You can see it with the rear door open. Metal on tire at the edge of plastic wheel well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.