Slight Rub with my 245/75 17's - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,771, Level: 38 Points: 3,771, Level: 38 Points: 3,771, Level: 38
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Slight Rub with my 245/75 17's

I picked up a new set of Goodyear Duratrac tires in 245/75 17 last week. Pictures can be seen in my other thread https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13004.

I noticed I have a slight rub on the inner fender when I'm getting getting close to a full turn. It's nothing serious but I still think I'm going to pull the heat gun out tonight and try re-molding the inner fender. Anyone have any luck doing this?

The rub is on the back side of the fender, about the bottom 2 1/2 inches. It's right where it bumps out about a 1/2" or so. I crawled under it and didn't see anything behind the fender that would stop me from heating it up and moving it back a little.

I don't know if it's worth it but we might want to updated the tire sticky that states 245 75 17's will fit with no rubbing (doesn't looks like it's a true statement for all tires). I'm running the 2" Daystar lift and 1.25" Fred Goeske spacers and have the rub.

I'm guessing the Duratracs are on the tall side of things since size varies so much between the different tires.

Also on the menu tonight is tearing out the rear axle and diff on my buddy's 206 Rubicon. He blew the stock locker out while in Colorado last Fall. Since then things have gone down hill rapidly, bearings are shot, she's howling and getting hot so it's time for an upgrade. He is getting a new one from Northridge 4x4 - Dana 44 with an ARB air locker, 35 spline and some other goodies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

That's a bummer, good thing you know what to do to take care of that. I was planning on getting the same sized tires once I installed my lift but I was debating between the Silent Armors or BFGs TKOs, I wonder if either of those would rub with an RC 2" lift, hmm.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned
Points: 9,803, Level: 66 Points: 9,803, Level: 66 Points: 9,803, Level: 66
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I know exactly what you mean Westy. I also have 245/75s and they rub the same spot. However, these tires did not rub until I put the spacers on. Without spacers, 245/75s fit just fine and don't rub. I was running without spacers for a long time with no problems, I just decided to put them on to get a wider stance. Let me know how the heat gun process goes, I've been considering it, but the rub is so minor and inconsequential that I'm not sure it's worth messing with yet. Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

airdog - I wondered if my spacers were the culprit. I'll keep you posted on the heat gun trick. I know there is enough room to remold that bottom portion, as long as the material cooperates with me! At this point, I really don't want to remove the spacers, I'm digging the wider stance.

luvmycommander - I was really close to pulling the trigger on the BFG AT's but decided on the Goodyears. Seems like everyone and their mom's got the BFG's so I wanted to try something different. Sounds like without spacers you should be fine either way you go.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

haha...nice one Doc!

I think I got my little rubbing issue resolved. I used a heat gun to heat up the lower portion of the inner fender and get it flexible and then we drilled a small hole in the inner fender and zip tied it back to the frame with some big nasty zip ties. It is stilll very close where the pinch weld is behind the inner fender but it clears.

I'll try and get some pictures tonight, forgot to do it while the wheel was of Wednesday night.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
haha...nice one Doc!

I think I got my little rubbing issue resolved. I used a heat gun to heat up the lower portion of the inner fender and get it flexible and then we drilled a small hole in the inner fender and zip tied it back to the frame with some big nasty zip ties. It is stilll very close where the pinch weld is behind the inner fender but it clears.

I'll try and get some pictures tonight, forgot to do it while the wheel was of Wednesday night.
don't be afraid to CAREFULLY roll that pinch weld over and flatten it out, if you rub it when you flex your suspension you will slice up your tires. i normall use a deadblow or a platic hammer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I will keep that in mind - I'm guessing to roll that pinch weld over, the inner liner must be removed to get access...correct? At this point my inner fender is still intact so if the tire does rub something it would be the plastic inner fender rather than the pinch weld itself. I'll try and snap some photo's tonight to show what I've done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in