New 22" wheels a good idea? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New 22" wheels a good idea?

Well, I've been looking for new wheels for quite a while now. I recently found a set of 22" rims for sale. The only thing is that I do not know if they will fit on my stock-height Jeep. The tire size is 305/40/ZR22 (114W). Does anyone know if there be any rubbing issues? Also, the rims are GFG Fallujah II and they seem to be brushed aluminum rims with a chrome lip. I know many people take expensive rims like these off for the winter, but I was wondering if you guys think it would be ok to leave them on year round? I would be sure to clean them several times a week, but I don't know if the snow/salt combination will eventually ruin them. If they were completely chrome I would definitely take them off, but the fact that the lip is the only chrome piece tempts me to leave them on. These brand new are a few thousand dollars, but I would be getting them for under $1000 with tires. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

P.S. Here is a generic pic of the wheels so you can get idea of what they look like.

2007 Jeep Commander 4x4 BLACK: 2" RC Lift, 17" Matte Black V-Tec Rims, 255/75/17 Tires, E&G Classics Grill, K&N CAI, Tinted Windows/Turn Signals/Taillights, 25000K HID Low Beams/Fog Lights, 12" Kicker CVX Subwoofers, AVS Vent Visors, MOPAR Roof Bars/Step Bars, LED Lighting, 13" Rubber Antenna, Rear Grab Handles, MOPAR Front Suspension Skid Plate, Chrome Fascia, Weathertech Floor Liners.

Future Mods: Black Out Grill, AVS Bugshield, New Kicker Speakers.

Wish List: Dual Super 44s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yioryosimo; 09-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Well, I actually found out that these would not work on the jeep with the bolt pattern they had. Too bad. So I am still looking for new rims/tires. Any suggested combos? The only criteria I have is that the rims must be at least 20" in diameter, no less. I would also prefer if they fit with the jeep at stock height (but would be willing to hear options for a lifted jeep). I have also decided that any combo I get will stay on the truck year round, so I would prefer some durable rims (no delicate donk rims with rubber-band tires). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2007 Jeep Commander 4x4 BLACK: 2" RC Lift, 17" Matte Black V-Tec Rims, 255/75/17 Tires, E&G Classics Grill, K&N CAI, Tinted Windows/Turn Signals/Taillights, 25000K HID Low Beams/Fog Lights, 12" Kicker CVX Subwoofers, AVS Vent Visors, MOPAR Roof Bars/Step Bars, LED Lighting, 13" Rubber Antenna, Rear Grab Handles, MOPAR Front Suspension Skid Plate, Chrome Fascia, Weathertech Floor Liners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

A 2.25" lift will run you around $200 or less and will give you more clearance. If you are going to run 20" rims with non-rubberband tires, then you will need more clearance.

PS: That 13" Rubber Antenna in your sig..................Do you still recieve good pick up from it or do you lose some signal?

2006 Inferno Red Commander------RR 2.25" lift, Smoked corner lights, "Limited" Color-coded rear Grab Handles, Mopar hitch, Matrix w/hoop, "Jeep" driving lights, Rear Bumper lights, Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14et wheels, Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17
Future mods---- skids, Rage roof cargo basket, PIAA 525 auxiliary lights,

<---- Click Here

..,====,_o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yioryosimo View Post
Well, I actually found out that these would not work on the jeep with the bolt pattern they had. Too bad. So I am still looking for new rims/tires. Any suggested combos? The only criteria I have is that the rims must be at least 20" in diameter, no less. I would also prefer if they fit with the jeep at stock height (but would be willing to hear options for a lifted jeep). I have also decided that any combo I get will stay on the truck year round, so I would prefer some durable rims (no delicate donk rims with rubber-band tires). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Consider the 20" rims that are stock on a SRT8 Cherokee.
They are clearcoated the same as any other factory wheel, they will be direct fit, and work fine if you use the SRT8 front tire size an all four wheels.

Minimum brain damage.

Rob

|
|
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned
Points: 9,803, Level: 66 Points: 9,803, Level: 66 Points: 9,803, Level: 66
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I agree with Robby, the SRT8 rims would look pretty good. Check out these examples:

FYI - not my XK. Found these pics online at jeepcommander.blogspot.com through a google search.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

22's on a stock commander with thicker sidewall would be difficult. I have 22" with 265/35/r22 and that's about as big as I felt I could go. Everyone told me how bad of a ride it would be and bla bla bla, but I proved them all wrong. It rides just like stock.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

The SRT-8 rims look awesome and would be the most headache-free, but you will pay a pretty penny for that convenience. Wasn't there someone on here from CA selling some Startech rims?

06 QT1, RC 2" Lift, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 275/60/17 Hankook Ventus RH06 Tires, 20% Front Window Tint, Tinted Taillights and Front Turn Signals, DDM 6K HID lights, E&G Classics Grille, Debadged front, 1948 Studebaker 'Commander' Emblem Rear, Canvas/Slate Katzkin's Leather, Heated Front and Second Row Seats, CH-4100 4.5" DVD/NAV/iPod Headunit, 9" TView Rear Flip-Down Monitor, Accelvision RVC1100 Back-up Camera

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Points: 4,637, Level: 43 Points: 4,637, Level: 43 Points: 4,637, Level: 43
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
A 2.25" lift will run you around $200 or less and will give you more clearance. If you are going to run 20" rims with non-rubberband tires, then you will need more clearance.

PS: That 13" Rubber Antenna in your sig..................Do you still recieve good pick up from it or do you lose some signal?

I have a 13" Rubber Antenna and I haven't had a any significant drop off but I live in the city. The 13" Rubber will not have the reception capabilities of the stock but it also looks better than stock in my opinion.

'07 Jeep Commander Sport 3.7L V6
Current Upgrades:
Sylvania Ultras for HI's and LO's
RR 2.25" Lift
18" Rockstars (Black)
275/65/18 BFG T/A KOs
WeatherTech Floormats throughout
20% Tint all around
Future Upgrades:
4xGuard Rock Rail
Yakima Rack
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference in signal since I installed the antenna. Then again, I live about 10 minutes outside the city, so signal is good regardless.

As for the wheels thanks for all the replies, they have definitely been helpful. I as looking at the SRT8 rims and they are definitely a pretty good option (although from what I have seen they are pretty expensive). I was also thinking of maybe going with an off-road type 20" wheel with a normal size tire, but not sure if it would look good. This would also require a bit more searching to find the right offset, avoid rubbing, etc., but would give me a wheel that I wouldn't worry about all the time while still looking good. I'll continue looking around and will post any potential buys prior to purchasing them to see what you guys think. Thanks again.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTheSix View Post
22's on a stock commander with thicker sidewall would be difficult. I have 22" with 265/35/r22 and that's about as big as I felt I could go. Everyone told me how bad of a ride it would be and bla bla bla, but I proved them all wrong. It rides just like stock.
Why would putting a larger wheel on a vehicle make it ride bad??

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in