GY Fortera RANT@#$%^&! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

GY Fortera [email protected]#$%^&!

So I'm taking my kid to school today since i took his Jeep from him for being a a$$hat and since he has a football game tonight he had way too much gear to carry. So I'm being nice and give him a ride and on the way I feel the rear of the XK shutter a little then I look at the EVIC and watch my TPMS on the right rear go from 32-0 in a matter of seconds! I drove less than 30 yards to the nearest parking lot to get to a safe spot to change the flat.

The first thing I notice is all of the side wall had fallen off and turned white!!!

The tire took a sharp object dead center but could have been patch plugged but there was nothing that could be done about the side wall that just fell off of the tire. The tire was still usable but looks like hell on my 9 month old XK!! No damage to the rim.

I had to order a new tire since no one stocks it and will have to run on the lovely black steel spare rim until Monday, the replacement will be 200 mount/balanced/installed

I wish I had gotten pics of the tire to show you all how bad it looked only running on it for 30 yards at less than 25mph and in a residential neighborhood. I can only imagine what would have happened at highway speed.

This is the last GoodYear's that I will own, gettin some Stone's or BFG's for my next set.

Rant over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Isn't the spare the same as the rest of the tires my 06 had a spare that was the same as the rest. If it doesn't that sucks hope everything works out.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Send a message via AIM to Command This.
Other than dry, on road driving those tires are worthless. IMO.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

My spare is the same size/type tire but it does not have the raised outlined white letters and I do not want to flip all the others around, too much trouble.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned
Points: 832, Level: 15 Points: 832, Level: 15 Points: 832, Level: 15
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

I have not had any issues with Goodyears on my wife's Jeep or my 250. I just spent $1300 for a set of Silent Armour's for the SD. Rotate them, check the air pressure and pay attention to what your doing and they will last.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Points: 186, Level: 3 Points: 186, Level: 3 Points: 186, Level: 3
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Never been a fan of Goodyear tires. BFG's or Michelin for me. Right now my XK is running BFG Long Trail T/A Tours. They were on the Jeep nearly new when I bought it and they are awesome.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabong30 View Post
Never been a fan of Goodyear tires. BFG's or Michelin for me. Right now my XK is running BFG Long Trail T/A Tours. They were on the Jeep nearly new when I bought it and they are awesome.
Michelin owns BFG now. I have had good luck with the Firestone destination at's on the XJ's, I will be putting them on the JK soon as its originals have 35k on them. I have always run BFG MT's on my trail rig, that is one tough tire. I also think that the BFG AT is one of the best all around tires made but they cost too much.

Is anyone running the Firestones on the XK?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Points: 2,051, Level: 27 Points: 2,051, Level: 27 Points: 2,051, Level: 27
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Send a message via AIM to Firstjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Firstjeep
6 months after purchasing my 2008 (8,000 miles), I had a blow out on the pass rear. No puncture of any kind but the side wall split. I changed the tire with the spare and took the tire to a Goodyear dealer. They switched the bad tire for a new one free of charge. All I had to pay for was the labor to switch the spare with the opposite side so I had matching tread wear. I would check with a Goodyear dealer to see if they will replace due to malfunction.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Points: 186, Level: 3 Points: 186, Level: 3 Points: 186, Level: 3
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstjeep View Post
6 months after purchasing my 2008 (8,000 miles), I had a blow out on the pass rear. No puncture of any kind but the side wall split. I changed the tire with the spare and took the tire to a Goodyear dealer. They switched the bad tire for a new one free of charge. All I had to pay for was the labor to switch the spare with the opposite side so I had matching tread wear. I would check with a Goodyear dealer to see if they will replace due to malfunction.

I worked for Firestone when I was a kid (18-19). We did something similar to this when the Firestone/Explorer issue occurred and later when they recalled a bunch of Radial ATX's. We just replaced them without question (whether they were bad or not) drilled the sidewalls and listed them as destroyed with DOT.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Check out Maxxis tires there pretty reasonable on there price. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet and I've been beating the crap out of mine. I have 8k on them now and only 2800 miles of that is daily driving. So out of the 5200 miles left about close to half of that is off road the rest is getting to and from the off road. So lets just say 1500 miles off road wow that seems like a lot, and there still in good shape. I have some small cuts in the knobs very few though but thats about it. The wear is pretty even as well just another option to consider. later bro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in